MMO...What can I expect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just put it in my oil to hopefully stop a valvetrain tick.

For those who have actually used it or know someone who has, what benefits can I expect or what have you actually seen or heard from those who used it?

Gas and oil use comments appreciated.

And the search function is bad......I used it.

Plus I wanted answers to a targeted question from actual users....not people who think they know.

google site:bobistheoilguy.com mmo

Did you try anything else, like a thicker grade oil that didn't work to quiet the valvetrain?

FamilyGuy: Have you used it? Do you know someone who has and you have info about their experience(s)?

If not why are you answering this? This was targeted towards people who have actual knowledge of it.

Im a first time user. So far im 1000 miles into GTX HM 10W40 and 16 oz of MMO. Its helped some with the valve train noise in our Jetta. Im debating on going with a full qrt next time.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
FamilyGuy: Have you used it? Do you know someone who has and you have info about their experience(s)?

If not why are you answering this? This was targeted towards people who have actual knowledge of it.

PM sent.

If you'd use the search function, you'd find that I have indeed used it and have posted a number of comments that answer your questions.

Best,

I did and I see you have posted some. But many of these topics go off base like this one did. Many people say I love MMO...O.K....Why? I am looking for people to post their experiences in specific terms. This is not targeted towards a certain problem but a general: what has it done for you and your vehicles.

So why don't you post here what it did for you again in specific terms? Cut and paste if you want......:)

**Actually I first looked under MMO in the subject area and it came up with nothing. Marvel Mystery Oil did have results.

The search function can be a PIA at times, so here is a condensed version of my experiences with MMO. Real life, and no I'm not getting anything for free, and I don't work for them in case anyone is wondering.

Here is what it has done for me, family and friends.

Stopped lifter noises in many different engines over the years, sometimes it can take more than 1 OCI.

Reduced oil use if it is caused by sticking rings!

Freed up a bad float in my gas tank. The gas guage would not read properly after about 2-3 tanks of MMO it worked and stayed that way for many years until I sold the car.

A buddy had a really dirty engine visable via the oil fill hole. About 3 oil changes later using 1 qt MMO per oil change the engine was extremely clean and running better. I've seen this many times over the years and it cleans them up nicely.

It has cleaned piston tops in small 1 cyl engines and kept then clean.

I've used it as a fogging oil with great results.

Made engines idle better.

Aids in cold winter starts, in a very big way.

I have been using it since day 1 in an 88 Ford Van which I still own. Original cat converter.

We treated my son's BWM prior to his 3 deployments to Afghanistan with MMO, and the car bounced back to life without any issues. Adding a heavy dose to the gas keeps the combustion chamber from flash rusting.

I use it in everything I own that burns gas: mowers, snow blower, power washer, line trimmer, 2 cycle outboard engine, and the chain saw. I ran a chain saw without it and had some carb issues. The saws I used the MMO in are less prone to carb problems, IMO.

I'm using it right now. 1 qt in a 7qt sump. It had a tick I no longer hear.

I pulled the stick and ran my fingers on it. No grit.

Nice! How long did it take for the tick to stop? You try anything else for the tick?

Around 500 miles or so, I'm not really sure. Didn't try anything else.

Seriously considering keeping the MMO in the full OCI. (2500 miles to go.)

Originally Posted By: Trajan

I would unless this is your first run. Im 1000 miles into my first run in the Jetta. I may dump it at 1500 then go with Mobil One 10W40 HM and some more MMO. I check the oil every week and peak under the oil cap just to monitor.

I wasn't planning to use MMO. Got home one night, and when I shut the engine down, the oil light came up yellow. checked it the next day, and it was a qt down.

All I had handy was MMO, so I thought, "Why not?" So far, so good.

If the weather's nice this weekend, I might pull the oil filter to see how it looks, or just change it.

Originally Posted By: Trajan

Go for it, give it time to work. They always said use if for the full OCI, a 3000 mile OCI is a good starting point to get it working. I'd even consider it for a second run following that. I'm due for an OCI I think I'd do a full qt this time for the winter. This way if I head into Canada for a weekend or two this winter I know I'll have easier starts. I'm new to living out west so I really don't know what to expect if I head up north, or into the middle of WA.

I just put it in my oil to hopefully stop a valvetrain tick.

For those who have actually used it or know someone who has, what benefits can I expect or what have you actually seen or heard from those who used it?

Gas and oil use comments appreciated.

In the GAS on my El Camino that has a carburetor I have noticed easier starts, spark plugs that stay clean, and an engine that is very responsive.

In the Gas on my Marauder I have noticed that the engine is more responsive.

In the Oil on my El Camino I have noticed that it totally cleaned up my valvetrain.

On my El Camino I had a spark plug that kept getting fouled, after using MMO in the oil this stopped, the spark plug I put in over 7000 miles ago looks perfect, maybe my valve guides had some dirt or crud on them.

Originally Posted By: c3po

In the Oil on my El Camino I have noticed that it totally cleaned up my valvetrain.

On my El Camino I had a spark plug that kept getting fouled, after using MMO in the oil this stopped, the spark plug I put in over 7000 miles ago looks perfect, maybe my valve guides had some dirt or crud on them.

I'm thinking the rings might have been sticking and fouling the plug? Hard to tell, although if the fouling has stopped thats great! How often would it foul this plug?

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: c3po

I'm thinking the rings might have been sticking and fouling the plug? Hard to tell, although if the fouling has stopped thats great! How often would it foul this plug?

This plug would foul every 3 months or so, it would be covered in oil, I had replaced the valve seals, and I still had the problem, I just think that MMO cleaned up the valve guide, maybe it was a ring, but it has stopped, I popped the spark plug off yesterday and even the porcelain was still WHITE, it was like I still had a new spark plug in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back