2007 Ford Fusion Transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tuckman
Originally Posted By: tig1
So what you are saying is that the Mazda MV oil is the same as the Ford FNR-5 oil?
Sorry about the drain plug. I gyess that's a 07 improvement.

I would say it is. If you look near the back of your owners manual (a chart with part numbers for fluids and such) you will see that says use the motorcraft version or the Mazda MV fluid. I know for sure it is in the 09 owners manual but not too sure about the 06 manual.

I will check that out.

Yea, I spent 30 min. taking off/putting back on the bottom cover, only to find no trans plug. No way I could have missed it.
Well the siphon worked great and the whole trans fluid change is behind me so I am not going to worry about a plug. Or the kind of trans fluid I used. I know it is correct. I am just going to continue to enjoy my car, since I spend a lot of my time in it.

Originally Posted By: Rand

thats from a chart
http://www.nordiques.com/pieces/images/cataloguepdf/applicationhuiletrans.pdf
its not updated but the 2007-2009 take the same fluid

2006: Fusion, Milan and Zephyr with 6 speed transmissions = Toyota T-IV ,MaxLife ATF

2006: Fusion, Milan and Zephyr with FNR5 transmissions
Mazda, part # XT-9-QMM5 ---MaxLife ATF

I really got my hopes up on the Maxlife for my FNR5 but I am not too sure about it seeing that the chart is from 2006. Maxlife is now badged Maxlife DEX/MERC, does that show a change in formula or just a name change. I have been looking up old threads here and a couple different ford fusion forums and I am not getting too far. What I do know is that guys are using just about anything and claiming that its working just fine.

I am still hunting

If you’re worried about what fluid meets specs.
You can go to your Ford or Mazda Dealer and buy the fluid from them.
The Ford Dealer wanted $6.00 a quart for the Motorcraft fluid.
I paid a $1.25 more for Mobil 1. (Just my preference)

That's where I got my MC FNR-5. They were asking $8.00 retail but I get counter wholesale price there an bought it for $6 something.

Its been a long time since I drove a car with a 4cyl but on the way to work today I noticed the trans shifts very "sporty" for lack of a better term. Does the Fusion just shift more firm or aggressive?

Originally Posted By: LC
I just used my siphon pump and sucked out 3 quarts and replaced that with the newest Mobil 1 syn ATF it Meets the requirements of the Mazda FNR5 transmission.
I did siphon again and replaced 3 quarts at 93,000 miles.
I would not worry about having 40,000 mile on original fluid.

How did you get the tube down to the pan? I tried doing this and I couldn't get my tube down there to the fluid. It was catching on something. I assumed the tube narrowed to the point the tube couldn't fit. From your statement, that obviously isn't true. Did you do anything extra to get the tube all the way in?

yes I had to pre bend my tube a bit. It kind of looked like a check mark after bending it. I used a small hose from a Refridge ice maker.
If you look at the fill tube, looking down from top-side
it kinks off to the left. Just bend the hose a little that way and down it went.

Last edited:
yes I had to pre bend my tube a bit. It kind of looked like a check mark after bending it. I used a small hose from a Refridge ice maker.
If you look at the fill tube, looking down from top-side
it kinks off to the left. Just bend the hose a little that way and down it went.

Thanks.

I am looking for a synthetic with better cold properties. The Motorcraft stuff is garbage at -35C and colder. The amount of work it takes to get the car moving when it is that cold has to be doing some damage to the tranny. What I find odd is the fact that with my 06 I never had this problem when it was cold. I am thinking they cheapened the fluid up a bit over the last 3 years.
What really sucks is that the Mobil Canada site does not state that the M1 syn ATF meets the Mazda MV requirements or I would be all over it! Until the bottles are labeled the same I don't feel safe that I can keep my warranty in tact.
I may just buy a pan heater for my trans pan and keep using the motorcraft stuff until Mobil up here gets their act together!

I think one of those stick on heater pads would be a great idea. I have been thinking about that also.
My car sits out 24/7. I do have the engine block heater that works great. Trans heater would be a big plus.

My block heater melts a nice circle on the hood even in the -30's. I will be adding a heated battery blanket, seeing that the battery in my 06 wasn't holding up well in its 3rd winter once it started getting cold.

I looked at the trans pan last night. They used RTV to seal it. I have not been able to find a gasket. Does anyone know where or if anyone makes a trans pan gasket?

Originally Posted By: tuckman

I am looking for a synthetic with better cold properties. The Motorcraft stuff is garbage at -35C and colder. The amount of work it takes to get the car moving when it is that cold has to be doing some damage to the tranny. What I find odd is the fact that with my 06 I never had this problem when it was cold. I am thinking they cheapened the fluid up a bit over the last 3 years.
What really sucks is that the Mobil Canada site does not state that the M1 syn ATF meets the Mazda MV requirements or I would be all over it! Until the bottles are labeled the same I don't feel safe that I can keep my warranty in tact.
I may just buy a pan heater for my trans pan and keep using the motorcraft stuff until Mobil up here gets their act together!

Here's the link for the M1 ATF. It does meet Mazda MV spec.

https://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Other_Products/Mobil_1_Synthetic_ATF.aspx

Don't mean to be rude tig...but if you read my post completely you will see that there is a problem with the speed which Mobil gets their product line up here. The bottles up here do not look like that at all and the PDS does not list the Mazda MV spec at all.
take a close look at all the specs listed
http://www.imperialoil.ca/Canada-English/Files/Products_Lubes/IOCAENPVLMOMobil_1_Synthetic_ATF.pdf

I cannot feel safe using this fluid until they change their formula or PDS up here to match my needs.

speaking of product line take a look at the Mobil oils available to Canada, you will see some big ones missing like AFE line of oils!
http://www.imperialoil.ca/Canada-English/Products/Lubricants/PS_L_MobilAlphaIndex.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back