MAC tools made in China

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of their hand tools are now being made in China, just a heads up.

They had a promo last week, 10 piece pliers set for around $100. Too good to be true? Yes it was, flip the box over and made in China.

Vice-Grips are now made in China as well. If you can find any NOS made in America, stock up.

Originally Posted By: Liquid_Turbo
Sad. But that's reality. No reason to think the tool's aren't up to spec though.

If they are made in China, yes, there is. Unless there is a full inspection of every tool leaving the factory, with a complete metallurgical analysis, you can pretty much guarantee they have slipped some "ringers" in.

Try comparing Chinese-made major brand knives like Gerber's with the U.S. made counterpart. Even with the U.S. management guidance, the Chinese stuff is junk.

I do have some China tools, but they are the use once in a blue moon specialty types that I won't mind replacing when they break. They were very cheap.

Why is everyone surprised? A Chinese dude makes the equivalent of a few bucks a week. An American factory worker makes 20 or 30 bucks an hour if he or she is lucky enough to be working.

That $100 plier set probably costs $5 bucks to make in China. If they replace a broken one for you once in a while who cares? Mac and Snap-On have priced themselves out of the American made tool business. $30 or $40 bucks for a single wrench is crazy. Their stuff is good, but it's not THAT good.

Originally Posted By: Scdevon
{snip}Mac and Snap-On have priced themselves out of the American made tool business. $30 or $40 bucks for a single wrench is crazy. {snip}

Well, it's more real cost for compensation packages that are typical in the US workplace. Hint, inflation hasn't been the government quoted ~3% for a long time, if ever.

However, I do agree that SO is worth, to me, only ~ 2/3 - 3/4 what they actually charge.

Back to the original post, why would one pay truck prices for Harbor Freight stuff? I really don't think (pray) that their strategy will work. That's a lot of money just for the sake of convenience.

Originally Posted By: AcuraTech
Vice-Grips are now made in China as well. If you can find any NOS made in America, stock up.

I live about 45 minutes away from the Vise-Grip factory that closed down. They were made in DeWitt, Nebraska, a town of about 200 people. The Peterson family (who originally invented the tool) sold out to Irwin tool and everybody saw the writing on the wall after that. Most everything sold under the Irwin name is now foreign made. To the posters who think the Chinese built pliers were as good as the original, they may have improved in the mean time, but when you had a Chinese built tool hanging next to an American-made tool in the store, you could easily see the plating flaws on certain pliers. Guess which ones?
I no longer have any loyalty to this company.

If it says Matco on it, it's made in America. If it says Silver Eagle, it is not. Same goes for Blue points Vs snap on. Ask any salesman, they will never ever ever try to sell you the lower quality tools, they are trying to beat out sears with the non usa stuff.

I think it's great because i use snap on and matco all day, but at home i can use blue point and Sliver eagle, get the same warranty and service as snap on/matco for the price of craftsman, and in many cases better quality. Also as a tec in training you get decent discounts on snap on and matco 50% and 60% with limitations, this discount + silver eagle/blue point =cheaper point of entry with decent tools.

It takes around 3 grand for a BASIC tool set with a decent box. Most people would never become a tech at double minimum wage if it cost more than that. And a lot of people cant pull it off as it is. So using Silver and Blue tools to fill out oddities such as deep well 12 point sockets, drivers and BIG wrenches, is nice.

EDIT sorry i read MAC as Matco, carry on!

Last edited:
Trent,

In regards to "if it says Matco or SO on it it's made in USA", that is not a hard & fast rule. Many items are made elsewhere but have the hard-line too mfg name on them. For example, so roll around toolboxes are made in Canada but say Snap-On.

I just got a new OTC ball joint press.The plastic box has "Made in China" right on the label.
I thought oh no now OTC (one of my favourite speciality tool brands) is making their tools in China,i expected to find a cheap HF tool inside but to my surprise the tools themselves have a sticky label "Made in USA" on them.

I wonder what's going on here.Are they making only the box in China or are they planning to fill it with cheap Chinese junk in the near future?Anyway i am happy to have the made in USA tools.

BTW this is a nice high quality tool,it removed and installed the lower ball joints on an AWD Expedition(with adapters)with ease.

Trav,

OTC has had lots of stuff made in China/Taiwan for years. For examply, all but one or two of their fuel system test kits are.

Are they (or distributor) cheating in this example? I've never had that happen before. Have you emailed OTC to see what they have to say about COO regarding the ball joint press you bought? After they have answered that question, then hit them up with your situation.

No i haven't emailed them but i don't think there is really an point,they can make tools anywhere they want.I was only surprised because the other tools i have from them are made in USA.

Personally i don't like buying Chinese goods,i suppose its unavoidable that you get their products but if given the choice i will buy American even if it cost a few bucks more.

Craftsman non power or pneumatic tools seem to still be made in the U.S. Many , but not all power & pneumatic craftsman tools are still made here. Though Craftsman has the new Evolv series they are pushing hard which the Evolv line is all made in China. I have been buying a bunch of SK / Facom tools. Much of what they have are superior to Mac & Snap-on anyway. Better to the Europeans than the Chinese I feel. I understand though if you are a mechanic, nothing beats having that truck comes by at least once a week replacing your broken tools without having to take away from your personal time.

Why is everyone surprised? A Chinese dude makes the equivalent of a few bucks a week. An American factory worker makes 20 or 30 bucks an hour if he or she is lucky enough to be working.

If the UNION manufacturing jobs paid 20/30 buck an hour the tools would still be made in USA.

Unions strike because of wages higher than that.

I was in Sears today and was still under the impression all of the hand tools (wrenches, ratchets, sockets) were still made in the USA. I saw a CRAFTSMAN wrench set made in china and something called a dogbone wrench that was made in china.

Sears used to would sell the china tools marked "sears" because "craftsman" was made in USA.

Originally Posted By: milwaukee
I saw a CRAFTSMAN wrench set made in china and something called a dogbone wrench that was made in china.

Sears used to would sell the china tools marked "sears" because "craftsman" was made in USA.

The wrench set was made in China? That sounds like their "Evolv" line of Chinese-made tools (which they used to call "Companion" but they switched to a new name and different packaging).

Sure, they've had certain Craftsman items made in China for years (jacks, for example, and odd stuff) but I've yet to see any of the mainstream wrenches/sockets made there. Or perhaps things are changing in a hurry.

Originally Posted By: milwaukee

If the UNION manufacturing jobs paid 20/30 buck an hour the tools would still be made in USA.

Unions strike because of wages higher than that.

Proof?

Lots of people confuse burdened hourly rates with actual hourly rates. Burdened rates take into account benefits, retirement, IT, etc. All that stuff that we all want, and all think we deserve. Why dont the union laborers deserve it too?

Granted, some of the union stuff is far too much and an annoyance, but people need to learn and discern the differences in "rates" before making claims.

Now if you have proof that the average union laborer is making $80/hr and not $30/hr, be my guest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back