Modification time......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to modify my 07 YZF600R a bit. Just a slip on and filter. Plan on a jet kit and do the install myself. Haven't gotten the parts yet, wife won't let me. Any tips for when I get the cash?

I read it as saying a slip on (muffler) and a filter (either a complete high flow intake system or maybe just a high flow filter such as a K&N. Then rejet the carbs or remap the injection schedule for the new mix. Can't give any advice on that bike though. If doing the filter only you might want to look at appropriate enthusiest pages for air box modifications. Often that is the limiting factor once you get a high flow filter. Basically more air in and more air out and adjust the fuel to make it play right.

Use your debit card and get cash back. $5 here, $10 there.
Hide in wallet or other safe place (if there is such a thing}.
Just rememeber: It's easier to ask forgiveness that to ask permission.
thumbsup2.gif

I have a Micron scorched Titanium full exhaust and K&N filter.

Exhaust has a deep throaty sound, not obnoxiously loud.

I like the TiForce exhaust on R1's.

I would search ebay for what your looking for. Lots of guys belong to the "pipe of the week club", and change them out every time a new one comes out.You can save some $$$ there. And look at which air cleaner flow the most air. A more free breathing exhaust will make more power then the stock sysytem, and some might not make a difference.Look at some dyno printouts for your model, and see what they are using and what numbers they get.,,

I really wouldn't want to screw up a good running bike by modifying it .Over the years I have found factory stock is best. You add some top end and you loose the bottom or it is annoyingly louder or even worse the power is the same but the powercurve starts 1,000 rpm higher which sucks. If more power is needed a much larger engine is always better! Been there and done that with many cars ,boats and motorcycles

I completely agree...As far as power goes with aftermarket pipes and such, often there is very little to no power increase...And as already stated if you do get an increase usually there is a trade off and any gains you may get are barely noticeable...There are on rare occasions a particular model that can really benefit from an aftermarket exhaust but it is largely dependant on which bike it is and this is the exception...

I had an RC51 which was well known for its heavy exhaust...On an RC51 message board that was quite popular a few years ago the Sato slip on's were THE exhaust to have with lots of great reviews of them...There were dyno charts galore comparing several different exhausts on the same bike showing that Sato's produced the most power gain with a Dan Kyle tuned FI map...With reports of deep sound I decided to buy some titanium Satos and a PC2...

Well, I put them on and when I took the stock exhausts (dual exhausts) off boy where those things heavy...The Sato's were like feathers by comparison...I put them on and started it up and it was LOUD...I could definitely tell a difference in how much lighter the bike felt which was nice...That's about where the excitement ended...It sounded cool at first but a thirty minute ride literally wore me out from the loud sound alone so that I couldn't really enjoy riding...And while there was a bit of an increase in the midrange it was barely noticeable and definitely not even close to what one would have thought looking at the dyno charts..

So...I ended up keeping them on for a while anyway getting the occasional giggle from setting off a car alarm or two as I rode through a parking lot...Or the glances at the gas station when I started it up..Yup it sounded like a monster just at idle but it didn't deliver the thrust that was hyped about them...Finally I got rid of them and put back on the heavy stock exhausts...When I rode it the first time with the stock exhaust back on it was like relief....Ahhhhhhh...So much nicer, quieter, less vibration better power delivery...I could actually enjoy riding more...Sure when you see a bike go by occasionaly with an aftermarket exhaust it sounds pretty neat...But when you're the one riding it and you have to hear it 30 minutes, an hour, or however long you're riding it can get really old with a loud exhaust.
To sum it up if you do get one don't expect much of a difference aside from sound...And keep in mind that you're going to have to listen to it the entire time you're riding...

Save/ than use that money and buy your wife a great Christmas gift.
You will both be happy. :)
You never know when you may want a new bike.

I got my micron exhaust because it is not obnoxiously loud like two brothers, muzzy or jardine. I got the scorched titanium purely for the look of it, I wont deny it.

But the noise does not bother me, even doing three day trips to Ny and back. Doesnt bother me at all. Oh it could be because I ride with earplugs on the highway, 99% of the time because I dont like the windnoise in my helmet.

You will get more benifits from a full exhaust than just a slip on. Slip ons really just save a couple pounds and gives you a better exhaust note. Intake BMC, K&N and Pipercross, are the big three.

Exhaust and intake arent gonna do much on their own. Getting a Power Commander or a Bazzaz and having it dyno tuned is where your gains are going to come in. Get it dialed in.

Keep in mind that gaining a few "peak" HP does not outweigh a heathy gain in the lower RPM's. A good tuner should get you a nice linear HP curve and a nice flat torque curve.

I cant buy a bike and have it for more than a week before changing the exhaust, intake and fuel management. Some bikes it probbaly was not worth the hassle but others have had incredible gains.

Take a good look at dyno charts with before and after results. See if that is what you want, before you choose the mods.

This class of bike is blessed with tough competition. There is little to be gained by simple mods, as the manufacturers want as much HP as possible.

I did a quick search and found some dyno runs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztQvtVT_Kfs

http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99807

But more importantly, the comparison dyno runs show a 2HP gain for about $1000.00. Not exactly great.

Thank you all for your comments.

As was mentioned, this is a carb'd bike so any power commanders are out. The only option is a full exhaust (very few available) or slip on (Two Brothers M2), air filter (K&N), and the re-jet. The YZF600R is more of a Sport Tourer than an R6 or CBR600 or Gixxer 600. Those are pure race set bikes. The re-jet kits are only available in a Stage 1 for my bike. The Stage 1 is basically for stock or slightly modified pipes (slip on) using the stock air box and filter or an aftermarket kilter such as a K&N. The Kit includes jets for the stock filter or the aftermarket. The filter claims gains, the pipe claims gains (weight loss and performance gain), and the re-jet claims 5% with the Stage 1 kit. 5% on 80 (HP guesstimate) isn't much HP in a car but can be big gains on a bike, or so I have read. Same is true with TQ which we all know is where it's at. Even 1 ft/lb can be noticed.

As said, I am a complete noob when it comes to bikes and am trying to get as much info together before diving in.

Originally Posted By: wantin150
Thank you all for your comments.

As was mentioned, this is a carb'd bike so any power commanders are out. The only option is a full exhaust (very few available) or slip on (Two Brothers M2), air filter (K&N), and the re-jet. The YZF600R is more of a Sport Tourer than an R6 or CBR600 or Gixxer 600. Those are pure race set bikes. The re-jet kits are only available in a Stage 1 for my bike. The Stage 1 is basically for stock or slightly modified pipes (slip on) using the stock air box and filter or an aftermarket kilter such as a K&N. The Kit includes jets for the stock filter or the aftermarket. The filter claims gains, the pipe claims gains (weight loss and performance gain), and the re-jet claims 5% with the Stage 1 kit. 5% on 80 (HP guesstimate) isn't much HP in a car but can be big gains on a bike, or so I have read. Same is true with TQ which we all know is where it's at. Even 1 ft/lb can be noticed.

As said, I am a complete noob when it comes to bikes and am trying to get as much info together before diving in.

Sounds like a plan. Like Heavyhitter said find a tuner if you want to get all the payback out of the parts. But if the parts are designed to play together well you might be good just bolting them on. You could put it all on and ride for a while to determine if the fine tuning is worth the money. If all is desinged to play together and on your application stage one can be a low cost TQ and pony increase.

My two cents: Keep the bike stock and spend the money on a track school. You'll have more fun and be a better rider. Riding on the track is the most fun you can have with a bike, and it's not even close. Your bike will be faster because YOU are faster.

Yeah save the money and hassle of a filter and jet kit. Throw on a slip-on to save weight and get better sound and run it all day. And for gosh sake shop around for a used can...there are TONS of them out there....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back