Ok to use Chevron Supreme "SL" GF-3

Status
Not open for further replies.
in newer engine? Forgive me if this seems like a naive question..haven't quite figured out what the GF-3 and GF-4 stand for.

I bought the last 7 quarts of this 5W30 that Walmart had...6 out of the 7 are marked GF-3 with 1 bottle nmarked GF-4. Looks like the dates are off by a few months...6/04 for the GF-3 bottles and 8/04 for the one GF-4

Curently have GC in the car but want try this out for the remainder of the winter

Engine is a Toyota 1.8L 1ZZ with 17k on it

smile.gif

Won't hurt a bit. The SM and ILSAC G4 are the oils meant for the newest engines in order to protect the catalytic converter. They have reduced levels of zinc and phosphorous which are two anti-wear agents.You could probably run the life of the car on old SL and not hurt anything. In fact, many of us are using additives to beef up the additive levels of the newer SM G4 oils with things such as STP, Valvoline Synpower Oil Treatment, etc.

Even though it is an 05 engine?...funny that you mention the cat...when I switched to GC I was getting a funny smell out of the exhaust soon after starting the car...smelled like bleach or ammonia...

I guess the question is more..can I use GL-3 in an 05 engine?....the bottle of Chevron that is GF-4 is also SL.

Probably really picking here eh?

The bottle marked "GF-4" really is "SM", but the API forbade blenders from indicating "SM" in the donut until the official November 30, 2004 debut date. In any event you're not going to poison the catalytic converter using even a dozen changes with that oil. I'm still finishing up some Chevron Supreme 10W-30 SL/GF-3 in my '03 Sonata before I start dipping into my Dollar Tree buck-a-quart stash of TropArtic 10W-30 SM/GL-4 synthetic-blend. The "GF-x" designations are from ILSAC - "International Lubrication and Standards Acceptance Committee" - a joint authorizing body composed of Japanese and American automakers. If I correctly understand what I've read, the "GF-x" designations are pretty much redundant to API "Sx" standards but with a little more emphasis on valve train protection per Japanese automaker concerns.

Hi,

On my 2005 Corolla 1.8l engine (same as yours) the oil cap states that the oil needs to be 5w-30 SL.

I've run SL and SM with no worries and both put out excellent UOAs. No difference on wear metals.

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

I wouldn't hesitate to use a GF-3 SL rated oil, especially Chevron in your 05 Matrix.

That motor will purr like a kitten with just about any SL GF-3 oil.

Did the OIC today and have the GC all bottled up ready to go to Blackstone.

Maybe it is a placebo effect but the engine does seem a tad quieter and smoother with the dino Chevron in there compared to the GC.
dunno.gif

I also have the 14477 filter on as opposed to the 14476. I'll probably go with Havoline next time as I doubt I'll ever find any Chevron again in these parts.

Chevron makes a great product. I ran it exclusively in my TDI for 115k with no oil usage and no symptoms whatsoever (Delo synthetic).

Personally I'm not convinced that the reduced additives of the SM/GF-4 give the same proteccion. The last catylitic converter I lost (1988 BMW 325ic) was rusted out, not worn out. Probably due to short the trips my wife makes. Last week was the first time in 7 years that it has gotten more than 3 miles from the house. Anyway, I run CI-4/SL SAE 20W-50 in it, since 20W-50 is what BMW used to recommend in it.

What I used does sport the Isosyn label. I have 2 3/4 qts left. I needed to put in a tad more than 4 quarts because I went with a slightly larger oil filter(the PL14477)

It has only been a few miles but I am liking how my engine is responding to this oil. I used to get a rattle under acceleration at right around 3k on the tach and so far I have not heard this rattle anymore since going away from the synthetics I had in there(Penn Plat, M1 and Castrol GC)

Nothing scientific to back this up, just what I have observed so far. Sort of bummed that this Chevron cannot be had in these parts any longer.

Any harm in my next OIC consisting of almost 3 quarts of the Chevron SL with a quart of Havoline SM or should I just go Havoline for all 4 quarts?

Did I say I'm really please with this stuff?
fruit.gif

Actually found a whole bunch of SL Havoline at AZ so I guess it should be ok to mix the 2 SL's together..same stuff with a slightly diff additive pack if I'm not mistaken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back