Brake rotor & bearing replacement question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm replacing the rotors, pads, bearings and shocks on my Ranger next weekend and, having never done this before, I have a question about the bearing races. Is it really necessary to tap out the bearing races that are pressed into the new rotors and replace them with the races that come with the new inner & outer bearings? My Haynes & Chilton manuals don't mention that, but I've read several "how to" guides online and they almost all state that the bearing races are matched to the bearings (meaning you have to tap out the "old" new ones). If that's so, why do the races come pressed into the new rotors in the first place? Seems redundant...unless the rotor manufacturer wants you to buy their bearing sets too.

Thanks for any insight!

It's not tough to put the new races in.
A little heat on the rotor will loosen it up. Put the new races in the freezer before assembly, and use a little lube on them when driving them in [not dry]. Once again, a little heat on the rotor will allow easier assembly.
So go ahead and put the races that came with the bearings in.
Make sure they are seated flush.

Can you leave the ones in there that came with it? Probably.
But this way you will never second guess yourself, and have the best chance at a perfect match.

I just recently did a full brake job on the front of my F150, same situation with the bearing races. I ended up leaving the new races in the rotors. 6000 miles later, no issues at all. My Chilton manual didn't specify whether or not to remove the race that was already installed either. Make sure to use a high quality moly based grease per Ford specification too.

i have never put the races that come with bearings into a new rotor with races already installed. if a customer had insisted i would have been glad to do it for an additional labor fee however.

never had a problem, ever. use a Ford approved grease and you will be good to go.

Originally Posted By: Mustang_Cougar
I'm replacing the rotors, pads, bearings but I've read several "how to" guides online and they almost all state that the bearing races are matched to the bearings (meaning you have to tap out the "old" new ones). If that's so, why do the races come pressed into the new rotors in the first place?

Do you guys replace the bearings regularly as preventative maintenance?

If the vehicle is under 100K (or much more?), the bearings are working fine, and you are doing a brake job, can't you just re-install the old bearings into the new rotor with races?

How many miles do bearings last, in "average" use? I don't hink I have ever replaced bearings unless they are noticebly going bad.

Bearings must be replaced if new races are being utilized, such as with new rotors. Both bearings and races will seat together to some extent after usage, wears patterns will develope, so keeping sets together is important. Not a good place to reuse parts, especially since most bearing sets are inexpensive.

Just want to say thanks to everyone for the insight. Considering the truck gets pretty light usage (
As for replacing the bearings as preventive maintenance, since I'm already pulling the rotors and the bearings are affordable ($60), I figured "why not?" The truck has 108K, but now that it's pretty much relegated to home improvement and landscaping duties, I doubt I'll do another brake job (which means accessing the bearings) for another ten years. Thus, this is best time to replace them, even if they aren't worn.

Last edited:
As long as the race surfaces are completely free of defects and aren't discolored from heat then I don't replace them. I've never had a problem with this method as long as I make sure I thoroughly check the races.

Originally Posted By: AdRock
As long as the race surfaces are completely free of defects and aren't discolored from heat then I don't replace them. I've never had a problem with this method as long as I make sure I thoroughly check the races.

I agree, never had a problem using the new races already in the new rotor with a new wheel bearing. I've even used a new rotor with its new races and the old bearing without issue, but I'm not reccommending that or anything. Besides if a person doesn't have the proper tools, taking out the new races out of a new rotor to put the new bearing's races in is probably risking more harm than good.

If you were nit-picky enough to buy Timken or SKF or some other top-shelf bearing, then you would want to use the races that came with them to get the max benefit out of them, but otherwise I don't think you are losing anything by using the pre-installed races.

Last edited:
I have used the races that came with rotors too - never a problem.
And who knows, they may even somehow be better than the ones that came with the bearings.

But my thinking is that the better odds are with the matched set.

I asked our local taper expert about mixing races, since I believe it's bad form to mix mating surfaces that have worn in. She told me that it's okay to mix the cups and cones and that there are no serious issues by doing so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back