What oil for 1999 BMW S52 engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: edvanp
I've heard good things about the M1 5w40 in these cars. How bad of a hit mileage wise did you take using the 5w50?

was this question directed at me?
i honestly don't know, because i drive my M3 the way it was built to be driven and I rarely check the MPG except on long trips.

Well after 1000 miles with Mobil1 0W-40, it looks like I burned 1/2 quart. Not too bad.

I'll keep an eye on it....

not huge since i only topped about half a liter....i do not have exact mileage but the type of routine driving i had been doing during that time.....i was filling my tank once every two weeks....but after topping 5W-50 it was more like getting my tank full with gas the 13th day...

BMW Power:

Check the crankcase venting system or have someone else check it. That engine has a complex system that includes a cyclone to separate oil droplets before returning the crankcase vapours to the intake to burn.

I have a 2000 Z3M with the S52 engine. My car was using lots of oil until I unplugged the PCV system drain back to the sump via the dip stick tube.

I am having great results with Maxlife full synthetic 10W30 which is LL01 approved. I am at 2500 miles into my current OCI and the dipstick level has only dropped about 1/8"

Reviving an old thread as it is relatively pertinent. I have an S50 powered M3 (95) that has run lubro-moly 0w-40 for years upon years.

I have another change coming up and wanted to try GC out as it is locally available, however I have hestitations due to the doom and gloom stories on some M3 boards members have about 30 weight oils (M1 5W-30) in these motors not providing enough protection and contributing to some failures on heavily used cars (HPDEs, Autox, etc).

I have seen GC is closer to a standard 40 weight, but would just like to hear some chime in if they have used it on the US spec S50/S52 motors with success.

M1 5W30 doesn't meet spec for a non-M engine (to thin and HTHS to low) amd it's so far off spec for an S52 engine it's ridiculous. Why not just put the corerct oil in it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back