Any Benefit of Carbon Fibre Synchros over Brass ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The manufacturer of my car's tranny switched to carbon fibre synchros a few years after my car was built and sold, just curious what the reasoning is for such a switch. They still spec the same tranny fluid. Anyone know the benefits of the change to carbon fibre synchros over brass ?, thanks.

Brass flexes and CF does not. It can hold more HP and will last longer the brass rings. Not to mention smoother operation. I just put some CF's in a ZF 5speed for a customer about a month ago. Night and day difference

ah thanks for the quick reply. The info makes a lot of sense, I see why they prefer it now. Too bad I don't have them in my tranny , now that I hear of the benefits. thanks again.

Carbon fiber synchronizers are usually facings attached to brass [or other metals] .
Either material will certainly flex.
You'd have to bend your shifter or break your shift forks to do so to any appreciable degree, however.

To use carbon fiber [instead of simply machining a brass part] now they additionally have to use exotic materials and bondings.
Also, they often use multiple cones. Much more complicated and expensive.

The advantage is a greater friction coefficient [CF grabs better].
Longer life? Who knows? Brass can go hundreds of thousands of miles in normal trannys.
So CF is an upgrade becuase their #1 job by far is smooth shifts.
We have to be careful not to use a wrong trans fluid. They seem to like thinner types.

One of the reasons for using CF's is that they suposedly take shock loads better, and because they are somewhat porous, allow better dynamic friction coefficients due to lubricant fluid diffusion into the material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back