Transmission Cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I added a cooler to the Pontiac Montana. 4T65E. Its all metal pipe except for a small section in the middle. What I did was cut the hose and spliced in the cooler there. I thought it was 5/16" hose because the transmission hose I had left over from another project was the same O/D. Could not find any markings. Well, it must be 3/8" because now it pours out of the fittings like it was made to do that. Should I up grade to 3/8" stuff all the way, which will invalidate all the fittings I just bought, and the hose, or just buy 3/8" to 5/16" adapter.

I don't understand what you mean by "now it just pours out of the fittings like it was made to do that"....are you saying it's leaking? I remember reading the flow rates of the 3 common ATF hose sizes (5/16", 11/32" and 3/8" inner diameters) and although I can't remember them I was surprised at how big the difference was. I would try to use the correct size hose but would go larger if I couldn't find it.

Ill adapt them for now, and then later go back through with the correct fittings and hoses. Itll just have to wait because Im $30 into this with just fittings. I had to make adapters because they didnt have any, they were even out of 3/8 barb to 3/8 if I wanted to squeeze my 5/16" hose over that.

Last edited by a moderator:
When this transmission is in high, and the lockup is on the factory cooler is way more than adequate..

I have been towing a 5,000 lb low profile boat with a APV for the last 250K miles, 4 days a week - remarkably the fluid never discolors ever. A infrared temp gun never reveals temps above 220 degrees, usually around 200.

What are you towing that requires a cooler??? I always suspected that a tall flat fronted travel trailer might pull hard enough to knock the lockup off a lot... that will send transmission temperature straight up!!

200 is a little hot for me. This isnt a large cooler, so itll knock it down 5-10 degrees and Ill be happy. I plumbed it after the factory cooler so itll actually be doing something.

Got it redone properly with 3/8".
oilcooler.jpg

normal_IMG_0457.JPG

I went and took it for a good hard drive. As I was pulling into the driveway I used my SG-I to ping the computer for transmission temperature. Had to do the decoding manually, but I got 176F when coolant was 197F. Seems to work pretty well. It is positioned right in the lower bumper openings, so it gets plenty of airflow when its moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back