Supertech Dexron VI in a Toyota Prius?

The Supertech Dexron VI bottle says it is recommended for Toyota WS applications. Anyone use it in a Prius CVT?

I am out of the warranty period for the car, any reason not to try it?

I don't really like how bad WS typically looks on the UOA's, I think Dexron VI might hold up better.

licensed by Toyota? No.

Not really a price thing, I want something different that might hold up better than the WS.

screeuing up a Prius trannie would cost big time to repair and for that I would rigidly adhere to what Toyota recommends in those gearboxes.

Yeah, you can venture out far with anything you like. It's your mullah, afterall.

Q.

Do you know how expensive that CVT is?

It only takes 4 qts of WS for a complete service. If you dislike WS so much, just service it more frequently.

WS works fine, BTW. A lot of people leave the original oil fill in the Prius transmissions and those things still last forever.

ST Dex VI runs about $3.77 qt at Walmart. MaxLife a synthetic is about $3.62 qt at Walmart. So both should be much cheaper than Toyota's and Dex IV is probably the best fluid out there. The question is whether Dex VI is truely compatible with WS. I don't remember specifically but Maxlife says it is compatible with Toyota's TS II, Honda ZL1, WS (maybe) and Dex IV, and they say thy stand behind that claim on their website for what that's worth. So this gives credence that Dex IV might be compatible with Japanese transmissions.

I paid extra to go with Valvoline Dex VI, but I have a GM AT and it was probably still cheaper than Toyota's fluid.

WS is $8/qt at the dealer, probably less.

You only need four quarts, so we're talking about $16 here at most.

$16 is cheap insurance compared to destroying a 6k transmission.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Do you know how expensive that CVT is?

It only takes 4 qts of WS for a complete service. If you dislike WS so much, just service it more frequently.

WS works fine, BTW. A lot of people leave the original oil fill in the Prius transmissions and those things still last forever.

Yeah if i had a CVT, I would only use the WS. If I only had to get 4 qts, I wouldn't care if the stuff cost me $10 qt I would still get the specified fluid.

GM created a separate DEX-CVT fluid standard that was released at around the same time as DEX VI. This indicates to me that DEX VI is not optimal for a CVT.

I would stick with the WS for now. A CVT is such a different animal from the standard transmissions I'm not sure that the UOAs mean anything for your application. It could be that WS was optimized for the CVT to such a degree that it's performance in other transmissions is compromised.

Although the Prius is a small car, it's a brick and the running gear is working hard hauling the batteries and two powerplants around. Don't underestimate it's needs.

Its not a normal CVT.

WS is a pretty lame fluid.

I would definitely give the DexronVI a try.

What year? who many miles? what previous maintenance history?

+1 on the RL D6. We actually have a member with a prius who I believe posted in the ATF UOA section a while back. He claimed to have gains in MPG and stated shifting stayed about the same.

Granted my transmission is completely different but I have had superb results with the D6 in my tacoma which calls for WS.

It is a 2006, it has 85k miles on it. I bought it from the original owner, and it is in perfect condition. He had all the required maintenance done. However, he never had the tranny serviced, and it had 68k on it when I bought it (Toyota doesn't require a ATF change until 100k miles). I changed the fluid at around 72k miles.

I am wondering if there is a better fluid out there, I don't really care about the cost. My local dealer sells WS for $7/qt, so $28 for a change is not a big deal.

I was considering possibly Amsoil's new low vis ATF as well, but the ST Dexron VI is more readily available. Also, the Amsoil specifically says "not for use with CVTs".

Maybe I'll just play it safe and stay with the WS.

Originally Posted By: sambojoho
It is a 2006, it has 85k miles on it. I bought it from the original owner, and it is in perfect condition. He had all the required maintenance done. However, he never had the tranny serviced, and it had 68k on it when I bought it (Toyota doesn't require a ATF change until 100k miles). I changed the fluid at around 72k miles.

I am wondering if there is a better fluid out there, I don't really care about the cost. My local dealer sells WS for $7/qt, so $28 for a change is not a big deal.

I was considering possibly Amsoil's new low vis ATF as well, but the ST Dexron VI is more readily available. Also, the Amsoil specifically says "not for use with CVTs".

Maybe I'll just play it safe and stay with the WS.

The cvt in the prius isn't like other cvts. It uses gears and the electric motors to pull it off where as most others use bands.

WS is required because it has electrical characteristics not normally found in ATF. The fluid in the Prius is exposed to motor/generator windings. WS it $6.50 per qt at my dealer.

No Prius around here, but I'd never put any Dexron in a CVT. I've seen dozens of CVTs (mostly Nissans) ruined by Dexron or Amalie's "Universal".

Back