Marvel Mystery Oil Rocks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right.

I just poured another 3 oz. in 10 gallons of gas on my Saturn SL1.
thumbsup2.gif

a copany called ampco has a upper oiler bottle, kind of like the one mmo used to have, that runs mmo right into the intake manifold. have had one for 9 mo works great.

been useing a inverse oiler from ampco for 9 mo no trouble. i run mmo with tcw3 2 two stroke oil, 2 qts to one gal of mmo. in a 2001 dakota v6 3.9

Last edited:
I'm going to hook mine up again, I took it apart it looks like after almost 20 years of use a little bit of dirt must have fallen into it and got in the tiny screen. I cleaned it up and it looks GTG.

Originally Posted By: jonny-b
No. World War 1 ended in 1918. World war 2 started in 1939.

And World War 2 started for the US in 1941, when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor. Don't you just get irritated with people who don't know their basic history?

Originally Posted By: jackson

And World War 2 started for the US in 1941, when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor. Don't you just get irritated with people who don't know their basic history?
\

My little brother went to grade school with a kid that claimed his father dropped the A-bomb on Korea.

Originally Posted By: paulo57509

\

My little brother went to grade school with a kid that claimed his father dropped the A-bomb on Korea.

You guys. You joke of course? Japan bombed Pearl harbor.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Russell
Originally Posted By: paulo57509

\

You guys. You joke of course? Japan bombed Pearl harbor.

It's from the movie Animal House. "Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? [censored] no!"

Last edited:
So, has anyone with 1.8T engine Vw/Audi found best dose of MMO as a fuel additive? I am ready to experiment, but, why if there is already sweet spot for this engine...

I wish I knew the sweet spot, it can be different for two identical engines. I would suggest starting with 4 oz/ 10 gallons of gas, log mpgs for 2 tanks or so, and work down in 1/2 oz. increments, until you find the best mpgs and performance.

The only problem with this time of the year is the winter blended gas STINKS, and performance and mpg take a hit. I tend to go toward the higher end of the MMO dose in the winter for the added UCL benefit. I often run 1 ounce more per 10 gallons of gas. I believe it helps with cold starts, and there are a few other members that seem to agree with me.

Originally Posted By: morris
were we fighting wwll in 1923?

Nope! What appears to be a difference of history in this thread is my fault: "developed further in WWII for use in aircraft engines" is more accurate.

The Turtle Wax website on MMO does post the very early history of the product just as paulo57509 related it. What I should have said is that in WWII the miltary turned to Marvel Mystery Oil for a solution to the problem of tetra-ethyl lead and carbon buildup on supercharged bomber and fighter plane engines. I imagine that some additional research and testing was necessary because it was to be used in aircraft flying in extreme weather under demands for exceptional performance compared to automobiles on the ground. But it was recognized that a product that dealt with lead and carbon build-up in engines already existed and that is why the military was interested in it.

As I recall it, the Army Air Force, which then became the Air Force, would keep 55 gallon drums marked MMO on the airfields and the ratio of the mixture used was 1 quart of MMO to every 80-100 gallons of fuel depending on the aircraft. 1 quart to 80 gallons is the same ratio advised today as 4 oz to 10 gallons of fuel on Marvel Mystery Oil bottles available commercially.

I wasn't alive during that era, but I had elderly relatives who enlisted and sought out Army Air Force duty just before WWII became a global conflict. They each told the story of how MMO became a staple of wartime aviation. That story did not compare to the details of the campaigns they managed to live through that took decades for them to finally get to where they were able to talk about the war and not just about why they used this nice smelling red stuff in their cars.

32.gif
Sorry. Overall, MMO is a good, helpful product. There are others, less versatile, more expensive, with less noticeable results.

Nice bit of History there. It appears the Military didn't think it was snake oil. LOL. Thanks for posting!

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Nice bit of History there. It appears the Military didn't think it was snake oil. LOL. Thanks for posting!

Don't put too much faith in what the military chooses to use. They still use M16's and M4's after all.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Don't put too much faith in what the military chooses to use. They still use M16's and M4's after all.

Still the greatest nation and the greatest Military in the world. Have you ever served? Besides the History we're referring to IIRC was WWII.

You know what the funny thing is? I figured some MMO anti would have posted a comment like that, after I replied. :)

Last edited:
After reading here I used MMO as directed in my fuel and my Check engine light came on within 10 miles or so. 2009 Chevy Cobalt 2.2 XFE

I took it to the dealer and they said MMO has Phosphorus in it that will damage 02 sensors and catalytic converters that especially OBD III systems can detect it at too high a level.

I stopped using it and next fuel fill the light went out using FPPLUS from Odis Beaver as recommended by Terry Dyson.

I will NOT use MMO in fuel for a newer car. I dont' think I will use it in the motor oil unless I see UOA that proves it does no harm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back