Gun Case Foam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone replaced the foam in their hard-side gun case? If so, where might one find the foam at a reasonable price? I've got a couple 5+ year old cases with foam that has seen better days. Doesn't really hold the guns secure anymore when taking them out for range or hunting.

TIA

Some bed stores and auto upholstery shops have bulk foam, have also got some at the military surplus before... One thing though, have you noticed that foam seems to pull any protective oil from the surface of your firearms? I've noticed this on several that I kept in factory cases and have since switched to cases with fabric lining.

You need a closed cell foam so it doesn't act like a sponge and pull oil. The other thing is that gun cases aren't for long term storage. You want air flow in a controlled environment for best protection.

I've got a bulk foam place 5 minutes from me that I just purchased a sheet of closed cell polyethylene for a gun case. Check your local area as foam is pretty much too bulky to ship. BSW

Yeah, the foam does a good job at wiping the oil off. I used to store the guns in one of those silicon impregnated gun socks - bore stores or something like that. Used to keep that in the case which caused the foam to go south. I keep everything in a cabinet now. Now I want to replace the foam in my cases since I can feel things moving around in there when I transport them to the range/hunting. Would be nice to find foam cheaper than the cost of a new case.

Will try the suggestions as all I have seen is foam used on bedding and that is usually at a premium price for simple foam.

I wont use foam gun cases as they have reacted with oils or cleaners on my firearm and caused haze on the finish ( in the exact pattern as the foam.

They are carry cases, not storage cases.

Wally World sells "egg crate" mattress toppers. Lots of replacement foam in one of them for a twin size bed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pete C.
They are carry cases, not storage cases.

Yep, I agree... I believe that using them for storage is what caused the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back