noisy lifter on ford explorer -should I tear into?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Russel, are you going to try the MMO? Its a great product and in expensive. I'd give it a shot

Originally Posted By: DieselTech
Russel, are you going to try the MMO? Its a great product and in expensive. I'd give it a shot

Believe I will. I just changed the oil in the explorer. May drain a quart and add a quart of MMO.

BTW, I use MMO in the gas on my BMW. It seems to offer a bit of smoothness.

Last edited:
All I can say is the SOHC nets me 17 mpg in mixed driving, and I get selectable 4WD that actually gets used from time to time. AWD with no choices, particularly a low range, was not an option. The windsor plant couldn't do that, so regardless of it arguably being a "better" motor, it didn't come the way some wanted it. There are threads out there about adapting a F150/Expedition transfer case to the tranny to get that option, but that's an expensive route to to go down.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
All I can say is the SOHC nets me 17 mpg in mixed driving, and I get selectable 4WD that actually gets used from time to time. AWD with no choices, particularly a low range, was not an option. The windsor plant couldn't do that, so regardless of it arguably being a "better" motor, it didn't come the way some wanted it. There are threads out there about adapting a F150/Expedition transfer case to the tranny to get that option, but that's an expensive route to to go down.

Different strokes I guess. As I said, my 97 had the switch, I used it all the time. My Expedition has the switch. Again, it gets used. But the AWD is just "there" and he's getting in the 20's for MPG when he keeps his foot out of it, which surprised me.

I'm not knocking the switch, but if the need to use 4LO wasn't there.... The 5.0L is the superior choice engine-wise. And with a few mods will make over 300HP. That's not an option with any of the other engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back