CJ-4 or CI-4 in 08 F350 with Cat/DPF removed??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll stick with my original plan to run Amsoil 5w40 in the winter and Amsoil 15w40 in the summer....CJ-4 versions of both....$320 a year for oil changes won't break me :)

Thanks for all the comments....ive learned a few things.

After living in the Alaskan interior for a decade and currently in the upper Midwest of the U.S., I fail to understand why whether a 5w40 vs a 15w40 such an issue for cold weather. For this very reason, oil pan heater pads and inserts were made. An oil pan heater is darn cost effective and uses far less electricity than any block heater. After the engine warms up, there is no flow problem, in my experience, even at -70F. The oil is warm and flowing quite nicely. Once temps get down to or below 20F, I plug in the oil pan heater, block heater when it gets down below 10F. Though using a 15w40 syn blend now, I have used 15w40 dino oils in some pretty nasty climates for decades and never had any issues with cold flow problems. Heat will rise from the oil and into the block when using a oil pan heater, so plugging in the block heater is less necessary unless temps get down extreme. Diesel fuel related issues are more of a problem in cold temps than oil. Now.... a less than $100 oil pan heater and a cost effective oil, or no oil pan heater and a high priced boutique oil that will cost more over time. Not a tough decision. Even if I was using a high ticket oil, I would still use the oil pan heater. Best investment that can be made by any vehicle owner.

Umm....sometimes there's no electric outlet.
And sometimes a vehicle needs to be started with no warning.
Your thoughts are reasonable if changing a 45 qt oil capacity every 8 weeks/20K miles is the situation. But for "private" drivers with lots of cold starts relative to hours in nonelectrified locales, in Canada or Alaska, changing oil 1-3 times a year, 0/5W40 is a good choice for the winter.
BTW, Mobil has come out with a 0W40 version of ESP Delvac, at least for Canada (haven't checked if it's in Alaska).

Charlie

Umm... why would you be off grid in extrem cold temps and leaving the engine shut off for extended periods of time? I would think you would start and warm up the engine periodically (every couple of hours), especially diesel, if no availability of electrical outlets. If you weren't starting the vehicle daily, there is always a use of portable generator to plug into a few hours before starting. The damage I have seen to gas and diesel engines that have nothing done to heat the engine or oil in extreme temps makes me wonder why anyone would waste good money on good engines just to abuse the engine on purpose. Oh well, I like getting over 1 million miles on my diesels. I prefer to keep more of my money. I'll leave the endurance tests to the OEM's and people with a rampant curiosity to see what can be done to destroy an engine. BTW, most of my experience was with smaller "private" vehicles. True, have a lot of experience with this in semi diesels, but my personal vehicles always got the same treatment. Kind of a what is good for the goose is good for the gander idea. Engines, no matter the size, are not exactly cheap items. Why put them thru more abuse than absolutely necessary? I am still trying to understand how your comment on oil change interval has anything to do with cold temp operating.

Why would you be off the grid? Some people drive to work and park in parking lots without plug-ins. They work for 8 hrs and can't go outside and sit in an idling truck for 15 min every 2 hrs.
Also, some people do outdoor activities in the winter far away from plug-ins.
Regarding OCI: a heavy duty trucker starts his/her truck cold once a day, usually in a place where there's a plug in. Because of the miles driven, oil needs to be changed often - like every 8 weeks. Because of YOUR comment re "boutique oils", I was agreeing that people who go thru 75 gal/year of lube oil and cold start only once a day, in an electrified location, are better off using 15W40.
Versus people who have to cold start in an unelectrified location (like a parking lot), and only need one oil pan worth of "boutique oil" per winter. Those people are better off with 0/5W40, at least in the winter.
I think it's inappropriate to castigate people for not hauling a generator to work every day so they can start their pickup or diesel car with 15W40 when it's -35 C. I agree fully that diesel engines are expensive and shouldn't be abused. Which is why 0/5W40 should be used in the winter in Alberta.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: m37charlie
Why would you be off the grid? Some people drive to work and park in parking lots without plug-ins. They work for 8 hrs and can't go outside and sit in an idling truck for 15 min every 2 hrs.
Also, some people do outdoor activities in the winter far away from plug-ins.
Regarding OCI: a heavy duty trucker starts his/her truck cold once a day, usually in a place where there's a plug in. Because of the miles driven, oil needs to be changed often - like every 8 weeks. Because of YOUR comment re "boutique oils", I was agreeing that people who go thru 75 gal/year of lube oil and cold start only once a day, in an electrified location, are better off using 15W40.
Versus people who have to cold start in an unelectrified location (like a parking lot), and only need one oil pan worth of "boutique oil" per winter. Those people are better off with 0/5W40, at least in the winter.
I think it's inappropriate to castigate people for not hauling a generator to work every day so they can start their pickup or diesel car with 15W40 when it's -35 C. I agree fully that diesel engines are expensive and shouldn't be abused. Which is why 0/5W40 should be used in the winter in Alberta.

Charlie

Thank you!

You said it better than I could have.
I had a post written but it had an extremely rude tone to it, so I wisely deleted it.

And since the dealer is making you change the oil twice a year regardless-run the 0W30 in the winter, change to 15W40 in the summer-if the 6.4 HEUI is HALF as bad at shearing oil as the 6.0 HEUI is, you won't want to extend OCIs anyway.

CI-4 and CJ-4, the main emission difference besides others I know little about is CI-4 has less ash than CJ-4. Ash does not burn, it accumulates in the DPF.

High-pressure Piezo Common Rail (HPCR) System

The HPFP pumps fuel through separate tubes to each fuel rail. Each fuel rail has four fuel tubes, one for each injector, that maintain constant pressure from the high-pressure pump to each injector.

The injectors operate in five cycles; two pre-injection cycles, a main-injection cycle, a post-injection cycle, and a late post-injection cycle. The pre-injection cycles and post-injection cycle reduce combustion noise, mechanical load, and exhaust emissions. The main-injection cycle injects and atomizes fuel in the combustion chambers for combustion. The late post-injection cycle adds fuel to the exhaust to regenerate the aftertreatment system.

Each injector has an actuator that opens or closes the injector nozzle. Charging the actuator opens the nozzle. The nozzle is closed by discharging the actuator. The ECM charges and discharges each actuator by energizing the appropriate high side or low side output. The low side output supplies a return circuit for each actuator.

Originally Posted By: slammds15
CI-4 and CJ-4, the main emission difference besides others I know little about is CI-4 has less ash than CJ-4.

Opposite is true, CJ4 is
Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back