Thickest grease?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a really really thick grease to repack the ball/socket joint in the base of my tranny shifter. I used valvoline synthetic bearing grease but it was not thick enough. The stuff that came in this joint from the factory was almost paste like in viscosity and honey in color. I think the clutch pedal spring also uses this grease.

Any ideas what it is?

This sounds a lot like what GM used to use for bulb grease. Almost earwax.

The thickest grease I have ever used is Drill Rod Heavy grease. It's used in the Canadian Oil Sands and mining operations for the drill rod. Petro Canada used to make one called Barimol & Drill Rod Heavy.

Jet-Lube (american company) makes it and it's called "Rod Grease".

This by the way is industructable for salt water wash off. It has the lowest loss amount of any grease i've come accross, and as such I use it for rust-proofing rusted metal or areas prone to rusting because the stuff won't wash off.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 1993_VG30E_GXE
The thickest grease I have ever used is Drill Rod Heavy grease. It's used in the Canadian Oil Sands and mining operations for the drill rod. Petro Canada used to make one called Barimol & Drill Rod Heavy.

Jet-Lube (american company) makes it and it's called "Rod Grease".

This by the way is industructable for salt water wash off. It has the lowest loss amount of any grease i've come accross, and as such I use it for rust-proofing rusted metal or areas prone to rusting because the stuff won't wash off.
Where can you find this stuff?

google Jet-Lube and phone them and ask them to do you a favour and sell you a small 1 L tub of it, say you need it for 'industrial use' but you only need a bit. They'll sell it to you.

The normal size is a 35 lb pail and that's way too much. Petro-Canada used to sell Barimol but I think they discontinued it. I know Jet-Lube still makes it. Other companies make it too, but not many.

If you have no luck ask me again and I can source it for you.

Last edited:
Check any auto parts store or industrial supply store that sells to heavy equipment operators for a grease sold by the tube or tub that you can stick your finger into and find the best that will suit your purpose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NLGI_Grade

Since most locally available tub/cartridge greases are for wheel bearings and u-joints(NLGI no 2), you should search for something that is rated 3 or 4.

Mcmaster, Grainger, MSC, and other industrial suppliers stock higher NLGI grade greases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back