Mower Spindle Grease

Status
Not open for further replies.

ant

I have a mower that lists the spindle grease as: US Lithium MP White Grease 2125, with the following listed as compatible greases:

Mobilix #2 found at Mobil Service Stations
Ronex MP found at Exxon Service Stations
Super Lube MEP #2 & Super Stay-M #2 found at Conoco Stations
Shell Alvania #2 found at Shell Service Stations
Lidok EP #2 found at industrial shops
Timken Lithium Multi-Use #2 found at industrial shops

I can't find any of these products locally. After an internet search, I can't even find any information on US Lithium MP White Grease 2125.

Does anyone know anything about US Lithium MP White Grease 2125, such as the manufacturer? What would be a good substitute that is available at most auto parts stores? The spindle uses tapered roller bearings. Is an EP grease required? The local auto parts stores have the full line of Valvoline greases, Castrol Pyroplex Blue, Mobil 1 and Mystik JT-6.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Those appear to be simple lithium multi purpose greases..."normal grease". Probably just about any quality grease will work. The Pyroplex is too stringly for bearings IMHO. I would go with the Mystik or M1 from your selections.

Is an EP grease required or recommended for lubrication of a tapered roller bearing? If not, what applications require an EP grease?

ant,

You must have a Scag mower, because a google search of mobilix 2 grease/scag mobilix grease brings up a dozen or two links to other people asking the same question. Unfortunately, none of the links really give conclusive answers, just lots of "I use this successfully" answers.

Here's the same question at BITOG in 2007: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1033454
Some of the referenced greases are EP, some not (so it should not matter).

There are several links on google to lawnsite.com

It appears that mobilix maybe is mobilux EP 2? Available at WW Graingers at VERY inflated prices.

For fun, I would contact SCAG and see what their answer is. It will be interesting, since their recommendations seem WAY out of date (found similar Exmark recommendation from '95.

EP is for heavy shock loads, not necessary for your bearings, but it won't hurt either. It will also be good for chassis lube.

There seems to be two generally available lithium greases:hydoxystearate and complex. The first is "often" labeled "multipurpose" only (chassis and regular bearings), and the complex is "often" labeled high temp..... it can be used on chassis AND hotter disc. brake bearings. Some brands use both multipurpose and high temp to describe their "complex" grease.

FWIW, I chose to use lithium complex EP for my "all needs" ag grease. I use the John Deere brand due to my workplace purchase set up. I used NAPA house brand 75-600 before that.

Grease nomiclature can be confusing when comparing brands.

The Mystic JT 6 is a high temp "complex" type:http://www.docs.citgo.com/msds_pi/591094.pdf

Let us know what Scag tells you!

Originally Posted By: ant
Is an EP grease required or recommended for lubrication of a tapered roller bearing? If not, what applications require an EP grease?

In theory, a tapered roller bearing shouldn't need much EP as they operate in the hydrodynamic regime most of the time. However, I like to have some EP for extreme conditions which may breach the fluid film.

You definitely need EP for sliding conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back