Is my engine oil level too high?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just drained the factory fill oil in my 2009 Aura 2.4 ecotec and replaced with mobil 1 and purolator pure one filter.

Anyhow... the manual says it takes 5 quarts including filter so after I let it thoroughly drain on a flat surface and replaced the filter I put in 5 quarts.

Out of habit I checked the oil level on the vehicle and found it to be probably 1/3 inch past the 'max' hash mark or roughly 1/3 the distance min and max past the max mark.

Is this enough of an issue to where I should drain some oil out and if so how much oil should I try to drain? Would my car likely give some sort of indicator light if the oil pressure was too high?

Surely if I drained it completely on a flat surface it couldn't have held more than, say half a quart meaning it's got 10% too much oil... would that be a problem?

BTW, I am pushing the dipstick all the way in when I check the oil, to the point where the gasket is seated. I'm pretty sure that's what I'm supposed to be doing but in case it's not I guess that could explain why it's showing up a bit too full.

Thanks

Last edited:
If the manual says 5 and you put in 5 you are fine.

Many oil change places routinely put in 1/2 qt too much and it doesn't hurt anything.

I used to have a real bad oil burner in high school so I got into a habit of adding an extra 1/2 qt every OCI. That habit has stuck to this day and has not affected anything in my vehicles since.

Thanks everyone. I guess next time I'll remember to do 4.5 quarts and check my level after that. I've never owned a car that was so clearly over the max mark when using the manual's recommended amount of oil.

The drain plug does sit on the side of the oil pan right near the bottom facing the back of the car so maybe I'd get more to drain if I put it up on ramps.

And here I was all excited by the fact that I found I could change the oil without jacking the car up or putting it on ramps.

Did you pre-fill the filter? If you screwed on a dry filter, that 1/3" on the dipstick will go down once you start the engine, run it a bit, stop, wait and recheck.

did you change the filter first? when i did oil changes on cars with that motor, i would pull the filter out and take the fill cap off, then drain the sump. i dont remember any being overfill, and this was in a shop where we were told to do the job as fast as possible.

Oh, yes, I always pull the filter first. That little knob on the bottom seals a drain hole. When you pull the filter oil remaining in the housing drains into the oil pan.

I pulled the oil pan plug, let it drain, and while it was draining I pulled the old filter out and replaced it... then went back and plugged the oil pan back up which was still dripping oil but just a drop a second or so. I even pulled the oil fill cap while it was still draining just in case it was creating a vacuum by being closed.

Initially the oil level was even higher than I mentioned earlier... it did go down after I ran for a few minutes, but after I ran it is when I measured it being about 1/3 of an inch over 'max'... so yes the filter should have been saturated when I took that measurement.

Thanks again for the replies.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back