What oil to use on my 2006 BMW 325i?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Elves thought about venturing into the dirt lubrication business. They proposed an advertising line, "Our dirt is oil cheap." I told them they ought to think about that one...

I agree with the Castrol Syntec 0w-30 or Mobil 1 0w-40.

As for the interval, i sent in some samples from my oil and determined mine to be about 7500 miles (that was with M1 0w-40). I'm using GC now (syntec 0w-30) and i suspect it should be similar.

Almost forgot: another option is BMW oil from a dealer or ordered off the internet. www.getbmwparts.com will sell you an oil change kit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hpichris
Anything LL01 approved.
GC and M1 0W-40 get my vote.

Mine too. Or something ACEA A3,B3 at least.

None of this "any $2 oil" nonsense.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that now that your are out of warranty, you don't have to stick to a an 'approved oil' - you just have to use an oil 'tough enough' to meet your conditions.

A 5W-40 HDEO, like Rotella 5W-40 synthetic will easily handle 7.5k mile OCI's, and is a lot cheaper to buy regularly than the oils you set out. It will do an excellent job.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that now that your are out of warranty, you don't have to stick to a an 'approved oil' - you just have to use an oil 'tough enough' to meet your conditions.

A 5W-40 HDEO, like Rotella 5W-40 synthetic will easily handle 7.5k mile OCI's, and is a lot cheaper to buy regularly than the oils you set out. It will do an excellent job.

I agree; I ran that in my wife's 1997 528iA; the car is now on its third owner and still going strong at over 200,000 miles...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back