Belt dressing! HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, put a blob on the front and back of the belt fired it up, the blob disappeared without mess and have been squeak free ever since then. Also have a backup pulley and tensioner in case the new ones fail
smile.gif

The dielectric grease was in a red and white can sold at pep boys had the long tip on it to go into your spark plug wire boots I think CRC made it if your wondering which kind I used.

Thanks for the tip Iceberg! I have had to replace the belt on my 2002 Silvo 4.3 every 30K miles due to squealing. Last time I put on a "gatorback" and I am hoping it lasts longer, but if not I will try dielectric grease. RW

Bump:

I've had a power steering belt squeal ever since I put new Gates belts on my Corolla a few weeks ago. It'll start to squeal when cold as soon as I start turning the steering wheel. I can fix it by cranking the belt on as tight as I can get it, but I'm not going to do that for long as it'll burn out the bearings in the pump.

Lo and behold I found this thread and researched the di-electric grease trick. From what I've uncovered, it works so well that car manufacturers have even used it for TSBs for squeaky belt issues!

So I gave it a try and it works! At least this afternoon.
lol.gif

People say it works better then belt dressing and it's almost a permanent cure.

Wow glad I found this thread. I replaced a belt that was making noise. I'll definately remember this trick! Thanks!

OK, well, the grease trick worked for about 10 minutes.

I've determined my steering rack is binding up and putting too much strain on the pump, or the pump itself is on the way out. This only happens when the vehicle is not moving and you try and turn the wheel.

I had a severe curb hit a few years back and I think that damaged the rack.

I put in some Lubegard power steering additive and am just going to live with it until it totally fails I guess. It's fine while I'm moving, and there isn't any tightness in the steering.

I gave this deal one more shot by cleaning the heck out of all the pulleys with brake cleaner and I bought a set of those new Dayco W-ribbed belts that are supposed to solve problems with old worn out belt drive systems.

http://www.daycow.com/

They've stopped the squealing cold! BUT, the edges of the alternator belt are already frayed with just 10 minutes of operation.
smiley-bangheadonwall-yellow.gif

I'll be keeping a close eye on that. They look very beefy and of good quality and after an initial run in, have stretched 1/4 what the Gates belts did. I don't know if Gates quality has dropped or what, but my car did not like them at all. They're made in Mexico as well; the Daycos are Made in the USA.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1636170#Post1636170

That was my initial belt problem post.

I've NEVER had issues with belts until this new set.

Last edited:
I was always a Gates Belts user. AAP cut me a deal on Dayco belts recently for my Aerostar and I was very pleased with them.

I have excellent results with any type of belt dressing.

For 2 minutes or so. After that, it is usually worse.

First, check your alignment of the pulleys. Common sense shimming with washers or whatever can often fix this.

Chalk sometimes work to quiet belts. It provides a little extra grip, like sand for a locomotive.

UPDATE!!! About a week later, I ended up using some autozone engine degreaser on the entire engine including belt/pulleys, and guess what: Problem solved!! I'm at 170k miles now and still on the original belt and idler pulley.
Thank you for your response

Last edited:
Today my mechanic admitted he MIGHT have got some coolant on my belt (which is 3 months old) I might add and now its squeaking.

Suggestions? Thought I'd just spray it off at the the car wash on low pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back