Bicycle Locks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a bicycle lock for my 12AM runs to the Safeway.

One of the locks that I am considering is an Onguard Beast 5017:

5017.gif

Amazon sells it for $52 shipped. I think it should be good enough for protecting my HardRock in most areas.

However, I understand that Kryptonite's New York Fahgettaboudit U-LOCK is pretty darn good. It is also a lot lighter than the Onguard chain lock. However, is it as good?

What do you guys think?

That's pretty heavy duty. I have a buddy that bikes into Manhattan and he swears by the Kryptonite U-Lock.

Just curious...where do you live that you've got to worry about punks stealing your bike while you're in the market?

Whatever lock you're most likely to keep using. I've had two bikes stolen and they were both when I left it on a porch for an hour while I was inside.

I cut through a Kryptonite u lock with a hacksaw about ten years ago. A regular blade wouldn't work, I had to use a carbide-grit coated blade. Took about an hour. Unbelieveably difficult. Of course, a die grinder would have worked much faster.

I curious too.

Do you guys lock it through the frame and rims so no one can run off with a rim?

Originally Posted By: Familyguy
Just curious...where do you live that you've got to worry about punks stealing your bike while you're in the market?

I live in Santa Cruz, CA. This particular section of town is not a place that I would feel comfortable leaving my bike without an super heavy duty lock.

Now, the question is, should I get the huge Onguard chain lock or the Kryptonite U-Lock? Or both?

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: Familyguy

I live in Santa Cruz, CA. This particular section of town is not a place that I would feel comfortable leaving my bike without an super heavy duty lock.

Now, the question is, should I get the huge Onguard chain lock or the Kryptonite U-Lock? Or both?

Whichever one comes with a .357 to use on bike thieves....

Does the chain have a frame mount? That's a must-have for me.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
Do you guys lock it through the frame and rims so no one can run off with a rim?

If I'm leaving it for more than a couple of minutes, I use a U-Lock on the frame and I run a 6' Kryptonite cable through both wheels and the suspension fork (where applicable). The cable would be easy to cut, but there's plenty of bikes that are easier to steal than mine.

Start with a lock that is insured or can be insured to about the value of your bike. That’s a good starting point. If you can’t afford to lose your bike under any circumstances, get the chain you’ve researched or the top u lock. Remember to run a cable through the non locked wheel if necessary. Buy a Kryptonite or On Guard (cheaper).

lockyourbikehowtolockdiagra.gif

Sorry to bring back an old thread.

What do you guys think about "Avenir Standard U-Lock and Cable Lock Duo" ?

It is $19 at Amazon and free shipping with Prime, the reviews is decent. The bike worth about $200-250, I don't want to spend more than $20-25 for a lock (10%). Is there any better lock with similar cost ?

1291920824-52716_full.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back