Is Chevron Supreme Motor Oil a quality product?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a 2000 Ford Mustang V6, and although I did an oil change for my car just recently, my Dad bought Chevron Supreme 5w-30 for my next oil change. What you think of this oil? I am currently using Motorcraft Synthetic Blend, but wouldn't mind switching later on. So, is Chevron Supreme Motor Oil a quality product for my car?

Thank you very much everyone, your time is greatly appreciated!

Yes it is, IMHO it is the best conventional oil. Group II+ base oil with a nice shot of moly, one of the very few oils made completely in-house by the refiner, from the base stocks to the add pack (Oronite - owned by Chevron).

Yes, Chevron makes a very high quality motor oil.

Need to make a slight correction for you Ben, it is just a Group II oil, but it is a very good product.

Last edited:
Its one of the better dino oils available. It is a little on the thin side of the 5-30 so it increases mileage and has a awsome add package. I use it often.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Need to make a slight correction for you Ben, it is just a Group II oil, but it is a very good product.

No it isn't, Johnny. Chevron Supreme 5W-20 and 5W-30 are made with Chevron 5R base stocks, which are group II+. CS 10W-30 doesn't contain any group II+ though.

I would just stick to the 5w30 Motorcraft Blend for your V6 if it were me.

I used Chevron 5w30 Supreme once in my [99] 4.6 and had no issues with it but the car liked the Motorcraft much better..The 4.6 used a quart of Chevron in the 5K OCI where it stayed full on the Motorcraft.

Since your dad bought it already I would use it on my next oil change then go back to the Motorcraft after that.

I have 230,000 miles on one vehicle and I'd say 150,000 of those miles were with Chevron Supreme, most of which was purchases at $.49/quart or $.99/quart (after rebate) from Checker Auto.

It's quality stuff.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Originally Posted By: Johnny

No it isn't, Johnny. Chevron Supreme 5W-20 and 5W-30 are made with Chevron 5R base stocks, which are group II+. CS 10W-30 doesn't contain any group II+ though.

I'll take your word for it Ben.

It was listed on Chevron's website just a month ago.

Here's some info on it: http://www.chevron.com/products/sitelets/baseoils/gf4_faq.aspx

Here they mention their 5W-20 and 5W-30 oils are blended with group II+ base oils, making the use of correction fluids unnecessary.

But there is another page where Chevron has a table that lists what base oils go into their various viscosity motor oils. 5W-20 and 5W-30 were blended with 5R, and 10W-30 wasn't. I've linked it here in the past. According to Chevron, they were the first to widely market group II+ oils.

Is chevron and Texaco's Havoline the same stuff? And Phillip 66 for that matter? I like the idea that they don't have to pay a middle man for base stock and apparently not even for their additives either.

that page is dated 2002?

its pre GF-4 and this topic also dates it.

What about the new ATF specifications, DEXRON-IIIH?
Transmissions are becoming more complex and more compact as cars become more streamlined, so transmissions are running hotter. By 2004, most service fill ATF will need to meet DEXRON-IIIH specifications.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
It was listed on Chevron's website just a month ago.

Here's some info on it: http://www.chevron.com/products/sitelets/baseoils/gf4_faq.aspx

Here they mention their 5W-20 and 5W-30 oils are blended with group II+ base oils, making the use of correction fluids unnecessary.

But there is another page where Chevron has a table that lists what base oils go into their various viscosity motor oils. 5W-20 and 5W-30 were blended with 5R, and 10W-30 wasn't. I've linked it here in the past. According to Chevron, they were the first to widely market group II+ oils.

Found it: http://www.chevron.com/products/sitelets/baseoils/gf4.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back