No PCV Valve? 2.4L Olds Alero?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone help me with this? According to any parts site or book, it lists a PCV valve as either not available or doesn't exist for this engine.

Many vehicles do not use them. If it does not have one it uses baffling in the valve cover to prevent liquid oil from getting in the intake.

I know on my old GM - Cavaler, it was a 2.2 L and same thing, it said

No pcv valve that can be serviced, engines are equipped with an oil/air separator that is located inside the valve rocker arm cover that requires no maintenance.

Maybe that is simliar.

Please double-check this!

The 2.2 OHV in the Cavalier and S10 does not use a PCV valve, as stated, but I'm pretty sure I've read on j-body.org, and in my manual, that the 2.4 does have a PCV.

It should be on the back of the valvecover....if you want, I can check my Cavalier sunfire owners manual and report back on this....

I have a 2000 Alero with 2.4
There is no PCV valve only an air oil separator no maintenance needed.

Mine has 130K miles and has been one of the most trouble free cars I ever owned.
Hope you enjoy yours.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Please double-check this!

The 2.2 OHV in the Cavalier and S10 does not use a PCV valve, as stated, but I'm pretty sure I've read on j-body.org, and in my manual, that the 2.4 does have a PCV.

It should be on the back of the valvecover....if you want, I can check my Cavalier sunfire owners manual and report back on this....

I think it's just the opposite. The 2.2 OHV does have a PCV valve and the 2.4 doesn't. On the 2.2 it's under the hose running to the valve cover and held down with a plastic nut, or at least it was on many years for the 2.2.

My 1998 2.2 did not have a PCV valve.. Although I later read that the valve cover design is bad and can cause consumption issues. Must have been why driving on the highway made consumption go through the roof.

Thanks for the advice guys. Looks like there's no PCV on the car like some said.

Chevyfan - thanks for the words. I hope to keep this car for a good while. :)

What is I believe is the 9x-97 2.2 did have a PCV valve but 98up had an air/oil seperater just like the 2.4.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
What is I believe is the 9x-97 2.2 did have a PCV valve but 98up had an air/oil seperater just like the 2.4.

I believe your right. '98 was the first year with the new valve cover and intake design.

There may not be a serviceable PCV valve, but there has to be a means for the crancase gasses to be swept out of there. I know on the Ecotecs, the vacuum side of the PCV system is ported directly from the head to the intake manifold. You can't see the port unless you pull the IM off the head.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back