Removing marks on windshield?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know how to get rid of the permanent "streaks" that can get on/in the windshield? I'm talking about the curved streaks that follow the path of the wipers. This is on my gf's 2003 Accord. For a long time she only used water in the windshield washer fluid bottle (her dad's advice) but I don't know if that has anything to do with this. She used to work and park her car near a steak restaurant that spewed grease out the chimney which got on the glass and the wheels too, and I can not get rid of these streaks in the glass. It's like it's permanently greasy on the glass surface. Vision out the front windshield is blurry/hazy has halos at night.

I used scratch free Comet and a scrubbing sponge on it this past weekend with no luck. Is there a rubbing compound or something similar for glass? Would steel wool work on glass? I am at a loss. Thanks for any help.

Get some Ceruim Oxcide and a felt drill pad. If you do a search you will find it. it will remove small scrathces in glas.... It does take some time to do it but it does work... Look at eastwood site they mat have it...

I would expect scratches on the windshield, but you say it is on the wheels too. If it is scratches, then you can probably use a polishing compound, such as what rszappa1 suggested. You also might make scratches better for a while with Rain-X.

If it may not be scratches, try some solvents. Keep them only on the glass. Alcohol, paint thinner, MEK, would be progressively stronger solvents. There are stronger ones too. Keep strong ones off of the paint.

Now why would you have the problem only with the wheels and windshield? If the wheels have black on them, that may be brake dust.

New windshields may cost less than you think. Check a local glass place.

There are glass polishes on the market that will do the trick. I've seen some at Walmart and other places.

A mild paint polish will remove the crud, too.

The solvent idea is a good one, since the residue is oil-based.

Def try a few things, there are some good ideas here. Cerium oxide is a last resort but ya gotta do whatever it takes, right?

Zaino Glass Cleaner worked great on my glass! I had streaks and some pretty bad water spots... I used a machine though... you need to be careful if you are going to use a rotary on the glass, if it gets too hot you will end up shattering the glass, but on the bright side, if you get a new window, it won't have any marks on it!

Clay bar...........Not the one you use on the car, but when the ones for the cars surface get bad, relegate them for glass work.

Originally Posted By: ionbeam22
This is pretty easy to fix. I'd hold off on the cerium oxide, though since that can eat up alot of glass if you are not careful/experienced.

Just clean the glass with a high quality automotive glass cleaner, and then follow up with some glass polish a la Gel Gloss "No Streek". You can find this at many hardware stores.

http://gel-gloss.com/zen-cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=43

I just ordered 2 bottles of the No Streek just based on your post and the reviews I read about the stuff. I'll let everyone know how it works soon as I get and try it. I hate those oily smears that never come off the windshield.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back