GC going in at first oil change 1500 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone Iam new here but have read so much about GC that Iam convinced its the oil for me. I have a 2009 BMW 328 and want to use only the best oil for it. As I plan on keeping it a while and Iam also fanatical about maintenance. Going to change the factory oil at 1500 miles and every 5000 after. I have always felt that frequent oil and filter changes is the key to long engine life. It was also nice to see that GC was recommended on BMWNA so I wont have any warranty issues. When should I do a UOA after the 5000 change? Very glad I found this site as it is very informative. I would have never known about GC If it wasnt for the knowledgeable people here. Also another plus is that my local pep boys had this in stock. Will keep you posted on my GC results. Thanks again.

I would do the same but what is the oci in your owners manual? Isent it like 15k or 20k? I dont know but have herd that bmw is stretching it out.

BMW says 15K but I feel thats much to long for me. Thats because they are giving you free oil changes every 15K

They do it for free every 15k? How long is the Warranty? How long do you plan to keep the car? If 5 years or less I'd actually just let them do it. If your going to drive it till the wheels fall off then thats a different matter.

I would send in a sample to blackstone labs or equivalent at 5000 miles and check the condition of the oil. If it's still got life left, then try another sample at 7500, etc.

I did this with my 2000 328i using Mobil 1 0w-40 at the time, and the lifespan came out to be about 7500~8000 miles. From what i've read around, it's really in your engines best interest to leave to oil in as long as it has usable life left. Films slowly form over components and add additional protection that isn't present immediately after a new fill. Since then i have switched to GC and will be sending in another sample soon.

Also, the BMW oil at the dealer isn't much different in terms of wear results in the UOAs. From what i've read on here, they are both excellent. The viscosities of them are nearly identical also. I'd definitely still take the free oil change at the dealer every ~15k, with perhaps a GC change at the halfway point inbetween.

Here's an article abstract about the oil drain interval: https://shop.sae.org/technical/papers/2007-01-4133

hope this helps.

Thanks jwa for the reply. That article was very interesting. From what I gathered from it is you should not change your oil to often as it does more harm than good.? And yes the BMW oil is very good. It is castrol 5w-30 not sure if its syntec or Edge. But I feel that GC is better and less expensive. Will do UOA after 5k on GC and see what the results are.

Honestly, GC can go further on an interval.

I understand wanting to take great care of a nice car, but 7.5-10K miles is a more reasonable interval for such a good oil.

Well I figured I will change factory fill at 1500 miles. Then another OC when I have 5K on the gc and do a UOA on that and see what the results are. If good will leave in a little longer. Iam also wondering if car came from factory with GC as car is built in germany.? Castrol is the recommended oil from BMW even has Castrol engraved on oil fill cap. I still dont understand why no dipstick for oil or tranny on these cars. Thanks for the replys.

FF isn't 'GC', GC is actually better. It's a 12cst, A3 rated, group-III 5W-30 synthetic. It has shown good results in UOA's on here....

Welcome 09328ix. GC is the perfect oil for your car.
I've used it myself. 5000 to 7500 miles is the maximum
OCI I would do. Do not follow the BMW 15000 mile(25000 km)
OCI because the oil and filter don't last.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
FF isn't 'GC', GC is actually better. It's a 12cst, A3 rated, group-III 5W-30 synthetic. It has shown good results in UOA's on here....

Addyguy. The factory fill would be the same type of oil as GC. It may be
slightly different but not by much. Any oil that meets the BMW LL-01 will
be A3 rated and have a viscosity of around 11.8 to 12.2 for a 0/5w30 grade
and most important have a HT/HS vis. of 3.5 or greater.

Thanks for the welcome and replys. I have to agree with you 2KBMW. I would never let it go to 15K between OCs. Even when its due for the free OC I intend to bring my GC for them to put in. I just hope they do and not keep for themselves. My family and friends all think Iam a nut case with the way I maintain my vehicles. This one is only a month old and I already have 2 people tell me they want to buy my BMW when Iam ready to get rid of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back