best synthetic oil for winter???

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm trying to decide what oil to put in my 1997 e320 which has a L6 engine. it has over 150k miles, and runs smooth as it did when new, but now that is getting cold i can hear a few tick-ticks for a few seconds at start up. i've been using rotellat t 5w40, and i'm thinking this oil is maybe too thick. trying to decide which oil to use next oil change: mobil1 0w40 or valv. synpower 5w30?

also i plan on adding a can of lubro moly MOS2 antifriction additive. what do you guys think and recommend?

Last edited:
thank you for the quick reply. you think mobil1 0w40 would make a big difference at cold start up than rotella 5w40? would a 5w30 flow better or the same as 0w40?
sorry about my ignorance towards oil grades.

The mobil is definitely thinner than the rotella for cold startups, also it shears down to a 30 weight in short order. On whether an oil is thinner you would have to check the viscosity and pour point measures

between mobil1 0w40, mobil1 10w30 and valvoline synpower 5w30, which one would flow better at cold startups?

Originally Posted By: moss
between mobil1 0w40, mobil1 10w30 and valvoline synpower 5w30, which one would flow better at cold startups?

What about 0W30? that would probably be best for cold start.

i didn't see any synthetic 0w30 on the store's shelves, that's why i want to chose between valvoline synpower 5w30, mobil1 10w30 and mobil1 0w40. hopefully by switching from rotella t 5w40 to another oil i can get rid of the tick=tick noise at cold starts.

M1 0-40. For a bunch of cold weather reasons.
But don't expect any oil to cure a mechanical problem.
Any extra flow when cold MAY help, but it may not.

Originally Posted By: moss
i didn't see any synthetic 0w30 on the store's shelves, that's why i want to chose between valvoline synpower 5w30, mobil1 10w30 and mobil1 0w40. hopefully by switching from rotella t 5w40 to another oil i can get rid of the tick=tick noise at cold starts.

If no luck on the GC. Then go M1 0W-40

I looked up Mobil 1 5W-30 and 0w-40 on their site and the 5W-30 had a quite a bit lower viscosity at 40C than did the 0W-40:

64.8vs.78.3

even more surprising the 10W30 had a lower viscosity at 40C and 100C than even the 5W30:

I guess this is because 10W30 has a lower viscosity index than 5W30
21.gif

So I think if you want a lighter viscosity when cold a 10W30 5W-30 or 0W-30 would be better. Or better yet look up the average viscosity for the common brands of oil choices available. I'm starting to come to the conclusion that 5w20 and 0W20 is the bomb when it comes to cold flow.

Last edited:
I probably should add that the specs given are for 40C or 104F oil temperature. That's probably not cool enough to cause lifter tapping, so a 5W-30 or 40 or 0W-30 or 40 might still have a lower viscosity index at really low oil temperatures of cold start like 40F and below when lifter tapping happens. So Mobil 0W40 might probably do better there.

Originally Posted By: hpichris
Also, GC is pretty much only available at Autozone. (If you haven't tried.)

Autozone currently has it one sale - 5 quarts of GC for $28 along with a K&N filter.

Originally Posted By: Antony

Autozone currently has it one sale - 5 quarts of GC for $28 along with a K&N filter.

I'm confused about this GC. Is it just certain weights of Syntec, or Edge, or is it a different line?

Originally Posted By: mechanicx

I'm confused about this GC. Is it just certain weights of Syntec, or Edge, or is it a different line?

GC is Castrol Syntec 0W-30. That's it. It's also the only oil made in Germany if you look at the sticker.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx

GC is Castrol Syntec 0W-30. That's it. It's also the only oil made in Germany if you look at the sticker.

All right cool, It's that simple then. I was assuming it was made in or for Germany and was a whole different line and more expensive lol. Now I see why so many people hold it in high regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back