What causes P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor code?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mom's 2001 Civic (41K miles) stalled the other day at a traffic light and I scanned the code and I got P0340 (Camshaft Position Sensor), the car runs but has a slight misfire.
54.gif

What would cause this trouble code ?

Any troubleshooting tips? Thanks

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
My mom's 2001 Civic (41K miles) stalled the other day at a traffic light and I scanned the code and I got P0340 (Camshaft Position Sensor), the car runs but has a slight misfire.
54.gif

What would cause this trouble code ?

Any troubleshooting tips? Thanks

Could be a bad sensor! Has the timing belt been changed yet? Do you have a mech you trust? I have one i can recommend very reasonable and honest. Send me a PM if you would like his name and #. I would not drive it!
Joe

Most likley the cam sensor is a Hall effect switch. The symptoms sure seem like it may be the cam sensor but remember it could be a loose connection bad wiring etc . The sensor most likley needs to be replaced . I wouldn't know what is involved changing the part out on the Honda.

First, check the connector and wiring. Often, the cam sensor itself is a simple one bolt assembly that can be removed and replaced in a few minutes.

I bought a new sensor from AAP, hopefully that solves the problem. Every thing on the car is original including the T-belt, I have only changed the fluids/filters. I don't know how much longer she wants to keep the car. Its in great condition for its age.

I will double check all the wiring again to make sure I didn't miss something simple.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back