Cleaning engine and engine compartment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gj

Does anyone one clean their engine?I've never done it.Afraid I'll mess things up if I spray it.If you do how do you go about it?Thanks

cover your distributor cap, stay away from electrical components and be carefull. Use brake kleen and a steam cleaner. Dont keep the steamer on plastic too long and avoid the spark plug cables and rubber hoses. dont do it when the car is cold or too hot. Warm is good.

Yes. I just use a hose and a soapy rag. I'm sure I don't hit anything with water anywhere near what it gets when I drive through a puddle. Then I use armor-all because I'm anal. Doesn't hurt to hit anything with surface rust with wd-40 either.

Have to do this in the spring to get rid of the salt.

I clean my entire engine bay once every couple of months or so. I use Simple Green to clean it. What I do:

Spray the entire bay with Simple Green.
Wash off.
Then I spray Eagle One Nano Wax on everything.
Gently towel dry.
Then I spray it down with Formula F21.
Then I gently towel dry again.
1zve6c4.jpg

Originally Posted By: gj
Does anyone one clean their engine?I've never done it.Afraid I'll mess things up if I spray it.If you do how do you go about it?Thanks

As long as you cover any critical openings to the internals of the engine (vents, breathers, air intake, etc.) you really can't do much harm. The underhood area is meant to survive road spray. Don't blast electrical junctions and the distributor or plug wires with a high pressure nozzle either.

FWIW, I've found that "Shout" spray stain remover for the laundry works just about as well as any "engine degreaser" I've ever tried. I spray the underhood down with Shout, let it sit a few minutes, apply a soft long-bristle brush to heavily soiled areas, and then rinse with hot water. Works great, doesn't seem as hard on electrical wiring as spraying with (basically) kerosene in a spray can.

+ 1 for the simple green. I let it sit for a few minutes to work out the grime and then spray it off. The stuff is safe for household cleaning so it won't hurt plastics or rubber.
Be careful around the electricals.

I spray my engine bay everytime I wash the car,all the electrical connectors are weather sealed so there's no problems, i've done this to all my cars and have not had a problem yet, I dry it out with a leaf blower and start it up and let it idle while i'm drying the rest of the car
19.gif

annahome001cv0.jpg

Originally Posted By: gj

I used to show custom trucks so I know a little about cleaning an engine. I used to clean all my friend's engines when at shows as well. Seems they thought pretty highly about my work.

Alot depends on how dirty the thing is to begin with. If it's grimy, dusty, or just downright awful looking would change how I would go about cleaning it.

Keep in mind that most engine bays have what everything else on your car has - rubber, plastic, metal, paint, etc. It's nothing different other than you have all these types of materials contained and close proximity to each other.

Using water in your engine bay is fine. Cover up what you think you will need to, but I rarely do. I use a very low-flow on the hose and stay away from intakes, wiring, battery, etc. Don't "spray" water - let it flow from the hose. I dry everything with an old, large towel. Drying it is highly important or you'll get water spots.

I stay away from degreasers or any solvents, typically, unless it's a real mess. I would never use anything that would affect paint.

Once you get things somewhat clean and dry, you'll want to shine it up some. WD-40, rubber protectant, and silicone are great items for this. Be choosy on what you want done and don't use too much. Again, wipe everything down you spray.

I'm sure everyone has their own way of doing things. I would avoid pressure washers, anything corrosive, etc. Don't be afraid of getting your arms buried in the engine bay to dry things, but be careful not to pull any connectors, hoses, etc. free from their locations.

rinse the engine with Mr clean spot free rinse, and dry the engine with compress air and some rags...

I clean all of the engines, i use Simple green, or WINDEX. I also use old microfiber rags, and even been crazy, and used tooth brush... I do not cover anything up, and have had no problems.. Well one, but that was my own created problem... When im done with most of them, i use Tire shine to shine the engine up. These are pictures of a clean engine, Not dust free. up here they dont stay dust free long.. but they stay free of grime, oil, and anything else i can remove.

HPIM1900.jpg

IMG_2997.jpg

Engine.jpg

HPIM1986.jpg

Last edited:
On V type engines make sure no water sits in the valley between the two cylinder banks. This is a common place for knock sensors and many people have destroyed the knock sensor while water sits in there.

Originally Posted By: jimvegas
Be careful using Simple Green, it will corrode aluminium.

Actually I think you're getting a couple of products confused.

YOU should never use "Greased Lightening" on aluminum surfaces, as it WILL cause some corrosion and pitting.

As far as I know "Simple Green is safe for use on all external automotive surfaces, that included aluminum, plastics, iron, rubber, silicone, ect...the stuff is very gentle on hard surfaces compared to almost anything else out there today.

I also agree with others that you should NEVER used solvent based products It's a given that they will soften and damage rubber and a number of plastics used in the automotive industry. Sure if you wash all of it off you won't do MUCH damage..but why do any damage at all?

I've never had a problem with SG on engine components. I spray it scrub with a brush need be, and hose it right away.

There are warnings to not use Simple Green around aircraft because of Hydrogen Embrittlement. I have been told what that is but I don't really understand it. But I follow orders and don't use it on aircraft. I also don't use it on cars.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: White 03
There are warnings to not use Simple Green around aircraft because of Hydrogen Embrittlement. I have been told what that is but I don't really understand it. But I follow orders and don't use it on aircraft. I also don't use it on cars.

Sorry but according to Simple Green it is totally safe when used as directed, as a matter of fact it is recommended by aircraft makers .

Of course common sense tells you as with any cleaning product to throughly rinse off after use.

http://www.simplegreen.com/solutions_faqs.php?search_query=aluminum&search=Search

Last edited:
Being a slightly OCD person, I'd rather leave my engine dirty, because I know I cannot get it 100% clean.

I use Orange Blast degreaser. It's sold at Wal-Mart and other stores. It won't damage aluminum or paint.

I would avoid spraying down a hot engine with a lot of degreaser or water. If the engine is hot, leave it running while you clean it or wait until it cools down.

I spray everything down with degreaser. I don't cover anything. After letting the degreaser sit for a couple minutes, I hose it down with low pressure water. I go for a drive immediately afterwards to dry everything. This has always worked for me. I have never had any problems due to cleaning an engine.

Originally Posted By: jimvegas
Be careful using Simple Green, it will corrode aluminium.

It will if you leave it on for a long time. Here's my method:

Warm up cold engine for 2-3 minutes.
Shut it down.
Spray the engine compartment liberally with straight Simple Green.
Let it soak for a couple of minutes.
Use a gentle nylon brush or scotchbrite pad on stubborn spots
Rinse it down with water from a hose or pressure washer.
(avoid the distributor/coil areas with high pressure water)
Drip dry for a few minutes and then wipe things down with a towel.
Use 303 Aerospace protectant on anything plastic/rubber
Use detail spray + towel on firewall/shock towers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back