2006 Accord V6 coupe - which oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought the car used, 1 owner, really nice and clean.

The engine is the SOHC V6 24 valve 3.0L

The dealer (Infiniti) put 5W-30 quaker state in it. That was done in August, the oil still looks pretty clean.

The manual calls for 5W-20. The car has 53,000 miles and runs great. I'm considering going synthetic. I'm in NorCal.

I need some help deciding:

1. "Honda" (Mobil 1) synthetic oil from the dealer.

2. Castrol syntec 5W-30

3. Your recommendation....

Thanks guys.

PP for best price and availiablity.

Motorcraft 5W-20 semi-syn is also an excellent oil that does well in these engines. There's also a full-syn version; but the the semi is a much, much better deal, pricewise....

Many good oils to choose from, but I would use a good 5W-20 as recommended by Honda. I'm a little biased towards Platinum 5W-20, but another good choice is the Mobil 1 5W-20EP product. Then you could also go after some of your own California made products like Chevron or Red Line.

Its really doesn't much matter.
Any 0/5/10W - 20/30 will work great.
The extra expense of Syn buys extended oil change intervals.

Personally, I'd run a W30. Mo thickah = mo bettah! (Within reason.)

I think using a quality filter is at least as important as the choice of oil.

"Its really doesn't much matter.
Any 0/5/10W - 20/30 will work great.
The extra expense of Syn buys extended oil change intervals."

+1. PP, M1 I'd run 7500 miles. Or a quality conventional to 5000. The weight really won't matter in that engine and a relatively mild climate.

I agree with everything so far. That thing will live on almost any weight and brand. My nearly identical J32 in the TL has been run on a synthetic 30wt since new. First was Amsoil ACD for the first 75,000 miles and now Redline 10w-30 soon to be Redline 5w-30. Overkill, yes, but I plan on keeping it forever.

If it were mine I would give it a diet of 5w-30 QUALITY synthetic, follow the maintenance minder and don't worry about seasonal weight changes.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
PP for best price and availiablity.

Motorcraft 5W-20 semi-syn is also an excellent oil that does well in these engines. There's also a full-syn version; but the the semi is a much, much better deal, pricewise....
+1 Excellent recommendations. I have an 07 3.0L Accord and am currently running QS Horsepower 5w20 (was a great value with rebate) and a Pure One. I plan on following the OLM to 5-10% or 1 year. I have a stash of PP for future use. I had previously used Honda dealer (MC5k) 5w20 since new.

That said, if you want to use synthetic any quality SM rated name brand should meet your needs.

As everyone else mentioned, any oil will do fine in that engine. If you want to extend your oci use a quality syn. PP 5w30 or 5w20 would be a great choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back