97 geo prizm 1.6L timing belt question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to change the timing belt, car has 85,000 never been changed..question is, do I need to change the water pump at the same time? or can I just wait on the pump when that goes? otherwords are they interconnected? thanks

I'm of the opinion that if it ain't broke don't fix it. I have seen water pumps last the life of the vehicle 300K KM's 180K miles before needing replacement.

When you have the belt off, give the pump a spin with your hand and see if it moves freely and without vibration or noise and leakage. If so... LEAVE IT ALONE.

Water pumps won't just seize or cause a catastrophe, they will start leaking or make noise and warn you. It's prolonged driving that can cause problems. This is usually weeks to months after the leaking or noise starts.

I understand the argument about... "Well you are in there, it's cheaper to replace it" but you can end up with a pump that fails due to OE defect whereas the original might have been fine. (Have seen this a few times)

Your call... I wouldn't do it. I would inspect and if all is fine, slap on a belt and move on.

Also while we are talking about the cooling system. Keep your antifreeze fresh and clean and use a Cooling System lubricant. (Gunk brand is cheap and does a good job). Have always used it and never replaced water pumps, hoses or radiators. EVER! in all my vehicles except 1 (it was used and I didn't know the history).

StevieC makes sense.. however, your prism is 12 years old.
Seals get worn down, doesn't matter about how well it feels & spins now, what about in a year?
I hate doing timing belts. When I have to, everything gets replaced, water pump, idler & tensioner, and hydraulic tensioner.
Personally, unless you enjoy doing timing belts, it's best to spend a few dollars now, instead of having to possibly do the job again in a year.

but is the timing belt interconnected to the water pump? are they seperate units that do or do not work off each other?

Lucerne 06,

As a 1997 geo prizm owner, that has the 1.6 motor, I changed the water pump at the second timing belt change. It's not too much of an extra step so it may be worth it. As for my water punp, it still looked new after 130,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: EricF
StevieC makes sense.. however, your prism is 12 years old.
Seals get worn down, doesn't matter about how well it feels & spins now, what about in a year?
I hate doing timing belts. When I have to, everything gets replaced, water pump, idler & tensioner, and hydraulic tensioner.
Personally, unless you enjoy doing timing belts, it's best to spend a few dollars now, instead of having to possibly do the job again in a year.

IMO that's not true about the seals... I have had cars go to the scrap heap (for other reasons) not leaking oil or coolant with original seals and water pumps even after 200+ miles.

They all saw regular anal maintenance regiments and have all had Cooling System lubricant and high quality engine oils.

first, gotta love timing chains! second - water pumps dont seem to fail like they used to. maybe better pumps? perhaps we are all replacing our coolant more often? I haven't replaced a water pump in over 10 years.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
first, gotta love timing chains! second - water pumps dont seem to fail like they used to. maybe better pumps? perhaps we are all replacing our coolant more often? I haven't replaced a water pump in over 10 years.

Replacing coolant is key to long water pump life. Or using an anti corrosion additive at least.

I'm on my 120k water pump at the moment. If you are waiting for the timing belt as well, then it's ok to hold out for the water pump. If your belt is due for replacement I'd go ahead and change it (AC Delco or Gate make them for very good price as well). It's a non interference engine, so it doesn't hurt to wait for the timing belt.

At 12 years, you got your money worth already, just change it out.

Originally Posted By: lucerne06
I want to change the timing belt, car has 85,000 never been changed..question is, do I need to change the water pump at the same time? or can I just wait on the pump when that goes? otherwords are they interconnected? thanks

If this car is your own, you can leave it. If this car would belong to a customer, you better recommend a new pump.
Because if this pump starts to leak a week or a month after this repair, the customer will be hollering that "you should have changed it while you were there".

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
I'm on my 120k water pump at the moment. If you are waiting for the timing belt as well, then it's ok to hold out for the water pump. If your belt is due for replacement I'd go ahead and change it (AC Delco or Gate make them for very good price as well). It's a non interference engine, so it doesn't hurt to wait for the timing belt.

At 12 years, you got your money worth already, just change it out.
He should probably change his Alternator, Radiator, and Valve Cover gaskets as well, because he got his money out of it and they are old too.

smirk2.gif

You still have either the 4A-FE or the 7A-FE engine in that year car. The water pump is not driven by the timing belt and I believe can be changed without pulling the timing belt.

It's a pretty stout pump as I'm on the factory pump in my '94 Prizm at 243K miles.

Now I'm not telling you not to change it. Just that I believe it can be done without pulling the timing belt since there is a separate belt driving this pump.

As someone else here wrote, they are separate components and you can change either of them or bothof them.

FWIW, I have a 93 camry with the 2.2 liter 4 cyl...first timing belt broke at 122,000 miles and was replaced without doing the water pump. The water pump then went (making sounds) at 191,000 miles and I replaced the belt again with the pump at 191,000. The car now has 240,000 and running strong.

If it were me, I'd take Stevie C advice, look a water pump when it's all open and see if it spins smoothly and quietly...if any doubt, change the pump too, otherwise leave it alone.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
The Timing belt drives the water pump. So the belts can come off without taking the pump off.

Not on this engine.

Whatever... Main thing is that the pump is seperate from the timing belt... Guess I was assuming it was the timing belt like most engines.

I didn't check the price, but a new or even rebuilt WP is not expensive. I'd put it in unless money is very tight.
And when you replace the belt, get new pulleys. Pulleys cause belts to go bad, not the other way around. Clean your gears thoroughly, also.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Whatever... Main thing is that the pump is seperate from the timing belt... Guess I was assuming it was the timing belt like most engines.

It is still hidden behind the timing belt so if you want to take it out, you probably still have to loosen it and take out the valve cover, timing cover, and a few accessory belt.

Unless you can do your own job the shop will probably charge you close to a timing belt job again if you do it alone. So depends on your belt and pump age, changing it together is still a good idea.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
I didn't check the price, but a new or even rebuilt WP is not expensive. I'd put it in unless money is very tight.
And when you replace the belt, get new pulleys. Pulleys cause belts to go bad, not the other way around. Clean your gears thoroughly, also.

Last time I check it is between $30 to $60 for Gate or AC Delco.

IIRC, the water pump is actually driven by one of the accessory belts on that engine (a Toyota 4-AFE).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back