"Inherited" an SKS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took posession of my older brother's Chi-Com SKS this weekend. He'd left it stored at our parent's house since getting married and moving to Illinois 15 yrs ago. He'd picked it up at a gunshow back in the early 90's. Guy had a truck load of them in boxes in the parking lot. Think he paid $100 even for the rifle and 2 20 round boxes of Norinco 7.62x39. I was visiting the parents this weekend and called him up. Told him there was no point in it sitting forever and I'd gladly PayPal him $100 if he wanted. He said go ahead.

Anywho, after spending several hrs digging into SKS websites, it appears I have a 1968 vintage made at arsenal 26. The SN is in the 12 million range. It was sold with a 30 round AK-style mag. Still has the spike bayonet attached and is in great shape in general. Found an online video on disassembly so I stripped her down and cleaned her up. Looks like I have a new caliber to start stocking up on. Perhaps this will lead to buying a nice AK. Don't know. Had been thinking about convincing wifey that like all the other cool kids, I needed an AR for Christmas...

Oh yeah. Found it pretty quick. I'm a bit surprised there aren't actually more websites. In my college days in the early to mid 90's, I had a lot of friends snatching up SKS's left and right. I always liked this one better, though, b/c it wasn't one of the later sporter versions with the thumbhole stock. I've never cared for those.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Did you find the survivors SKS board?

I shoot a 1952 Russian, I bought it back where they were "junk" and sold for $99. Now they go for $350-450.

i got two of these, bought the junkers for $99 a pop when they were cash and carry here in Los Angeles as well

love 'em, quite happy at how they've appreciated, but i ain't selling 'em

accurate, reliable, and fun to shoot too
thumbsup2.gif

Yeah I didn't realize how much they'd appreciated, either! I'd still thought of it as a cheapy gun. Fun to strip. Still tons of cosmoline everywhere. I think my brother only put a few rounds through it.

Most SKS rifles have a fixed box magazine. You said that yours came with a AK style 30round mag. Does your rifle use the standard ak mag? If so it is probably a SKS-m or SKS-d which were not military service rifles but were made from the factory to accept 30 round ak mags. Or- If it has a fixed box mag and came with one of those odd-ball 30 round adaptor mags which most call a duck-bill they are not "very" reliable. The rifle is relaible but when used with a duck-bill adaptor mag, I have found that they are not so reliable.

After all that, I guess my question is...which is it? If it is a SKS-m or SKS-d, it is worth much more than the $100 you paid for it.

Be safe and have fun

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with AK's at all and really not with SKS's either. After digging around a little bit more, I see that it it must NOT be a D-model. The bolt carrier has guides for a stripper clip. And after googling the duckbill mags, I see that's exactly what it's got. It won't release with the bolt in place and it's not very easy to seat correctly. How easy is it to return to the box mag setup? I want it to be a decent SHTF weapon, lol.

It is not hard at all to change back to the box 10round. With the use of stipper clips the are super easy to reload and the rifle will be very very reliable with a original type box magazine. Be sure that you get a 10 round box mag and not the 20 round box mag embossed with a STAR on the side. The 20 round box mags are problematic as well. In its original configuration the SKS is a very nice SHTF rifle.

I am sure with all the sks boards you have visited, you will find what you need in short order. Let us know how it goes.

Will do. I'm definitely not going to "bubba it up." Rather it be nice and original. Probably order some stripper clips and a box mag in short order. Seems like they are cheap enough.

i don't really get the appeal of the box mag for this application

stripper clips are cheap, light, and easy to load
thumbsup2.gif

if you want the boxes, buy an AK and spend the extra money to load it

We were speaking of the FIXED box mag. That what I'm wanting to revert to. As in switch it back to the original configuration? Those stripper clips do feed into something, you know?

Found one online for $30. Seems highish for something so many folks have discarded. Anyone know a lower price?

Originally Posted By: BrianWC
We were speaking of the FIXED box mag. That what I'm wanting to revert to. As in switch it back to the original configuration? Those stripper clips do feed into something, you know?

Found one online for $30. Seems highish for something so many folks have discarded. Anyone know a lower price?

sorry bro, wasn't trying to be a jerk, just typing words into a webforum
thumbsup2.gif

guess we're saying the same thing

there's gotta be cheaper magazines than thirty bucks
have you checked ebay? gunbroker? gunsamerica?

Last edited:
No prob. I just don't want anyone thinking I'm looking to deck this thing out to look like Commando, lol. I'm not much on modding anything, be it rifles or cars or whatever. I'd thought that perhaps the 30 round mag that came with the rifle, while not original itself, was a replacement for the stock configuration. As it appears it was not, I'm not going to hesitate in returning to OE condition. Especially if this "duckbill" mag is potentially unreliable. Hadn't thought to check gunbroker. eBay was a bust, though.

i removed the bayonet and put a composite plastic monte carlo stock on my 'shooter' sks

got the stock on ebay super cheap a number of years ago

i've kept the stock 10 round fixed magazine ... it does the trick, and it's easy to strip in ammo off the 10 rnd strippers or just hand load 'em versus loading up a high cap magazine

you may want to shoot someone's 30 round sks before spending the money on a higher cap magazine ... always felt like a hassle to me

diff'rent strokes maybe

i kept my other sks completely stock and don't much use it

Oh I'm going back to the stock 10 round when I can. Still haven't bought it though. Been buying a lot of running-related stuff lately so gun stuff has taken a backseat lest my wife cut off my allowance, lol. I did load up the 30 round mag other day and tried to cycle it through. Round #2 jammed...

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
The anti-gun nazis at ebay have done what they can to discourage gun-related sales there.

Same with PayPal. If they catch wind you are using their service to buy anything gun related theyll shut it down and try to keep any money you have in your acct.
I bought some roll pins for my USP from someone a few months ago. I put in the PayPal thing it was for xbox parts.
48.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back