A good synthetic for flat tappet engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I`d go for the Mobil 1 15W50.

its a daily driver not a race set up. So I would think 15w50 would be a bit much.

Originally Posted By: 38sho
What would be a good synthetic for me to run in my car.

I have a 93 Taurus SHO, unknown mileage on the engine, supposedly around 115k but I don't know for sure. I run the car pretty hard, and even take it to the strip now and then. It does see high RPM's. It is my daily driver and I have about a 5 mile one way commute daily. My engine uses solid lifters with a flat tappet design.

I've heard a lot about SM rated oils not being proper for my setup. Most synthetics you come across are SM.... the last synthetic I ran was Valvoline 5-30. For some reason i am partial to the valvoline brand, am I making a wise decision as far as camshaft wear or engine wear in general?

soon i will be putting a cleansing agent in my engine, and running some generic oil, then I will give it a lower viscosity synthetic oil for the winter time. The specified oil for my engine is 5-30

most of my knowledge about oils and what they do comes from the companies themselves.... and they aren't always true to their words..... I know you guys will set me straight here

thanks for any suggestions

Around here people seem to like auto-rx for engine cleaning.

There is more to AW than ZDDP, but a lot of it doesn't show up in a $20 UOA so people freak.

I keep hearing that SM will kill flat tappets as soon as you back out of the driveway but I have yet to see any documentation on a single case of it happening.

If you must have zinc, M1 High Mileage is a good value. If you are really worried about it, open your wallet and get Redline.

Originally Posted By: wapacz

Around here people seem to like auto-rx for engine cleaning.

I'm not really doing it to clean the engine in general. If the engine got so bad in that department I would have no problems tracking down another and swapping it. I've pulled the engines out of this particular car 2 or 3 times now. What I'm really trying to do is get something onto the rings and hopefully cleaning those up.

I might try BE 109 ring cleaner. These engines seem to have problems with oil sticking the rings..... A couple of people in the SHO world have used it with good success.... we shall see........ I can almost gurantee thats what the problem is with my engine...... wether or not that stuff fixes it is another discussion

supposedly this engine I'm running has 115k miles or so..... It is dirty as [censored] inside. My 155k mile engine I used before this one was like a brand new engine inside.... It is amazing how clean that engine was. I traded a poor running 3.0L for a recently serviced 3.2 with a little more power, but got a smokey, dirty engine.....

if I have problems burning off the GC excessively, I will try out the M1 HM next time around with a little bit higher viscosity

the stuff we do for about 10 more horsepower

Last edited:
Before putting in the syntec maybe try 2 1000 mile OCI's with Rotella 15w-40 with a quart of MMO to do some cleaning.

Originally Posted By: wapacz
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I`d go for the Mobil 1 15W50.

its a daily driver not a race set up. So I would think 15w50 would be a bit much.

No.

Mobil 1 15W50 is a pretty thin 50 weight oil. I used it most of my Z`s life (from about 30k-60k miles). Then I experimented with a few different oils. I`ll be going back to the Mobil 1 15W50 next oci.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back