Best oil for a 2009 BMW 335d

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: opposite_locker
Not so sure I trust what Valvoline writes on their bottles.

THe 5w40 is listed as MB 229.51 apec, but nowhere on the bottle does it indicate that this is the MST oil

Yeah, their naming is very confusing, to say the least. According to the PDF spec sheet, the 5w-40 is available in two varieties: MST and HST. The MST is supposed to be diesel particulate filter friendly. No explanation of what MST or HST exactly stands for. And as you noted, the stuff on the shelves just says 5w-40. No mention of MST or HST.

Once you're out of warranty, and for 7,500 mile OCIs I'd consider M1 TDT in the CJ-4 rating. CJ-4 diesel oils are DPF safe, and I'm confident with UOA's you'll find out you can do more than 7,500 mile OCIs.

Originally Posted By: opposite_locker
Several people have posted on various forums (mostly VW-related) about the MST 5w40 only being available in 55 gallon drums in the US, with individual quarts being unavailable. Not sure how true this is, but it's what I read.

I called Valvoline last week and was told that it's the MST 5w-30 that's only available in large drums and the 5w-40 is available in quarts/litres.I've just bought several quarts of the 5w-40 so I can confirm its existence.

Originally Posted By: Burpelson
New BMW 335d. What is the best oil Mobil 1 ESP 5w30? You guys know best.

Just FYI...During a visit to a Pep Boys in Massachusetts I confirmed that they carry Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 and it's priced at $6.99/litre (which is comparatively cheap).The ESP 5w-30 is,in fact,approved by BMW for "LL-04" service which is what the "d" requires for warranty purposes.

Rotella T 5W40 from Wally World! It could more then likely get 18,000 miles if you can do it in less then a year!

JB...while RTS is a great oil for many uses, these late model BMW's and MB's require a low SAPS oil such as the Mobil 1 ESP line or Valvoline offerings that meet LL-04.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: JimFitzpatrick

And BTW,I bought it for the mileage (40+ mpg at 65mph)and the fact that it's a fine automobile...not the torque.

great pick!

Im waiting for a 123d convertible...

But it has way over your self imposed 80hp limit.

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
Once you're out of warranty, and for 7,500 mile OCIs I'd consider M1 TDT in the CJ-4 rating. CJ-4 diesel oils are DPF safe, and I'm confident with UOA's you'll find out you can do more than 7,500 mile OCIs.

I'm not sure about that. CJ4 specifies ash0.08) and fill up your DPF with ash 1.25 times faster. Those are not cheap repairs. CJ4 is virtually synonymous with ACEA E9 but not C3. Obviously in an emergency better to use CJ4 than nothing.
BMW thinks you can do 10K mi OCIs. I brought our X5 35d in for oil change at ~9300 because the urea warning came on (they give you free urea for 50K mi, consumption is ~1.5% fuel). They are using 5W-30 Castrol SLX Professional A3/B4/C3. It says MB229.51 on the bottle but not LL04.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: djlinux64
The issue I have with Mobil 1 is that my father had a 2001 Mercury Sable that was gently driven for 165,000 miles on Mobil 1 5w-30 with a 3000 mile OCI and then after that the engine started knocking and smoking!? [censored]? Also, most OCI of Mobil 1 have completely unexplainable elevated iron levels. Oil does not come with iron. Also, Mobil 1 changed their formulation after they lost the synthetic name lawsuit with Castrol and have cheapened their oil to hydrocracked Group III [censored] ever since 1997. Don't use Mobil 1. It is not what it used to be.

33.gif

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: JimFitzpatrick

And BTW,I bought it for the mileage (40+ mpg at 65mph)and the fact that it's a fine automobile...not the torque.

great pick!

Im waiting for a 123d convertible...

But it has way over your self imposed 80hp limit.

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: djlinux64
The issue I have with Mobil 1 is that my father had a 2001 Mercury Sable that was gently driven for 165,000 miles on Mobil 1 5w-30 with a 3000 mile OCI and then after that the engine started knocking and smoking!? [censored]? Also, most OCI of Mobil 1 have completely unexplainable elevated iron levels. Oil does not come with iron. Also, Mobil 1 changed their formulation after they lost the synthetic name lawsuit with Castrol and have cheapened their oil to hydrocracked Group III [censored] ever since 1997. Don't use Mobil 1. It is not what it used to be.

Is there supporting evidence to verify Mobil 1 has went to "hydrocracked group III", and is this for all products? Unless I am mistaken, this is the same classification as Rotella T 5W-40 "Synthetic" ? Still a fine oil, but not truely synthetic, albeit the regs permit them to present these oils as such.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back