6. Fram Extraguard

Easy oil flow:
1. Denso
2. Mann, Mahle, Purolator Classic, Fram Extraguard
3. Mobil 1, K&N, Wix/NAPA Gold,
4. PureOne
5. Ecore style AC/Delco, Supetech, STP
6. Delco UPF52

Not all test were done on all filters as you can see.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
There are some variations, but overall I'd rate them from memory here
Filtration:
1. Delco UPF 52 (discontinued)

You can still get the UPF-52 rob,from GM dealer or Rockauto.com

Originally Posted By: daman
There are some variations, but overall I'd rate them from memory here
Filtration:
1. Delco UPF 52 (discontinued)

You can still get the UPF-52 rob,from GM dealer or Rockauto.com

You can? Cool! It is one solid filter.
(I wish they made one in a UPF53 for my truck.)

My ban is finally over. I have the RP filter in hand and will be mailing it tomorrow.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Great testing. Grease's filter study used a real bubble test machine at PALL Filtration. A fellow member, Schultz, is an engineer there. The data is long lost. It was parked on a site for a while, but then went away. They even did flow rates at 10psi with swatches of the media.

You mean that spreadsheet they produced is gone? And noone has a copy? I reckon I have a copy sitting on an old HDD somewhere...

Wix = Disqualified because two in a row leaked air badly at the top junction of the end cap and media. Disturbing.
r_r, could you explain the real world implication of this finding. I'm sort of a visual learner so I'm not sure what that result would imply here. Again, I do appreciate your summary of findings thus far.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Wix = Disqualified because two in a row leaked air badly at the top junction of the end cap and media. Disturbing.
r_r, could you explain the real world implication of this finding. I'm sort of a visual learner so I'm not sure what that result would imply here. Again, I do appreciate your summary of findings thus far.

Sure. It's like punching a hole in the media. Not all the oil gets filtered every time it goes through.
I tried a NAPA Gold by Wix after this post. Same thing. That's all three that I have. All of them are seeming not well sealed from the top endcap and the media.
The Wix usually filters very well in my home test but is erratic. This probably explains it.
...If the media and top end-cap are covered with my contaminated oil, it comes through much dirtier.

Wow, this thread should be a sticky. This represents a tremendous dedication of money, work, and time by river_rat. He should get 2009 BITOG Member of the Year (if the award existed).

river_rat, where did the Purolator Classic rank above for filtration?

Originally Posted By: Bruce T

river_rat, where did the Purolator Classic rank above for filtration?

He hasn't done one yet ... but plans to maybe this weekend.

Sorry, my bad about Purolator Classic.

I keep laughing when I think how much this independent testing must annoy the oil filter companies. They can sink all the money they want into techno-speak marketing ads, but it won't change these results one bit...

Last edited:
Well guys, the filtrate in the test tubes has to settle out for a day or two, but there is no doubt in my mind that the Bosch is a PureONE clone.

I started with a bubble point test—which if you’ve been following along is the air pressure (in inches of water column) required to break the surface tension of liquid in a saturated media and cause it to fizz out when submerged. This is directly mathematically related to the media’s average pore size. I’m not doing it in such a way that I can figure pore size, so don’t ask—but they can be easily compared from one filter to another; the higher the pressure, the better the filtration.

Submerged in clean WD40:
PureONE and Bosch were tied at 6” water column to begin a steady fizz.
Purolator Classic was about 4” WC—but my regulator sprung a leak so this is approximate.
Just for fun I ran a Denso element and it was just less than 3” WC.

I ran three filtration tests each and by the filtered oil clarity, and the time for the center tubes to fill with oil, that the PureONE and Bosch were indistinguishable from each other. The Purolator Classic filled sooner but the oil was cloudier than these two. It still looked good, but not as clear as the Bosch and PureONE as you would expect. All were cleaner than the Denso which filled very rapidly.

Still, with all these filters dry elements, I could walk around all day and breath though them. None seem restrictive.
I’ll put up pictures when the filtrate settles out.

In the mean time:
DSC01564.jpg

Interestingly, all three of these (which are for the same application according to my lookup) have exactly the same amount of media. Same height, depth, and all had 60 pleats.
DSC01565.jpg

Bosch:
bosch.jpg

PureONE:
p1.jpg

Purolator Classic:
puro.jpg

Plus my dog says hi
dogsayshi.jpg

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Thanks for the excellent work!

The Donaldson should arrive late next week BTW.

Thanks. Welcome.
Thanks for the Donaldson. That'll be interesting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back