Any API-SG compatible oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys. I have been trying to look for this topic but I couldn't seem to find it. I'm sorry if this is/was a redundant topic. Anyhow, I have a scooter. It's a Kymco Super 8. Which means the transmission is separate. It has a CVT.

The manual says to use API:SG which as far as I can tell is already obsolete.

Just acquired this about a month ago, And I am still trying to break it in using MOTOMAN'S break-in method. I am currently using API-SM MOBIL SUPER XHP 15W-40 mineral oil. But I've been reading and it a lot of sites said that API:SM is not good for air-cooled engines.

I guess the question is what I can I substitute for an API:SG? Or should I just continue using API:SM oils?
My oil change is due this week.

I am so tempted to use our Valvoline All Fleet Premium Heavyu Duty Diesel Engine Oil 15W-40 API" CI-4/SL. I've read guys using Delo.

I would use motorcycle oils, But in our area, the only motorcycle oils available are 20w50, and good brands are hard to come about. Automotive oil has absolutely no availability problems.

Using your HDEO 15W40 will work out fine. The diesel oils have add packs that include what we want in motorcycles and are known to be robust in the various mainstream brands as well as the boutique oils. And the oils are less money that the MC oils which is marketing at it's best. I run Mobil Delvac 15W40 in two R1200 BMWs and it is just right, especially this time of year up north. Just follow the recommended change intervals and all will be good.

With CVT you aren't going to run into a lot of the problems that motorcycles have. Less shearing, no worry about clutch slippage from the oil being energy conserving. You could run just about any oil in that thing and it would do fine.

So, I guess the valvoline all fleet heavy duty diesel engine oil would do? It says on the back that it's also for gasoline engines.

It's API:C4-4/SL
33f4302.jpg

2qbujwk.jpg

Yeah, that thing's from Korea or someplace where they run 'em on reconstituted sewage or something. It'll love you for the Valvoline!!
thumbsup2.gif

yes, that will work fine...I use Delvac as stated but your Valvoline has the following add pack:

ZDDP 1270 ppm
Calcium 3964 ppm
Magnesium 14 ppm
Boron 148 ppm
Moly 112 ppm

You can find pour point, flash point, etc. on their site, but this is a robust oil

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys. =) I already put the valvoline in. Works like a charm. I'm just using this to break the scooter in.

I will later on switch on Royal Purple XPR or MaxCycle, Which ever is available after the break-in. Like what I said, Good stuff is hard to come about in the area where I am currently residing.

Everything is Castrol, And I hate Castrol. Just had bad experiences with is. There are other inferior brands like top1, Zic, Whiz and the likes. You know what I'm talking about. =)

That Valvoline is probably a darned good oil. It's the older CI-4/SL spec, so it should protect very well. There isn't much reason to spend the money to buy the bike specific oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back