$89.95 too much to pay for an oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"IT IS LIKE HAVING A SMALL OIL REFINERY UNDER YOU HOOD!"

$90 for a miniaturized refinery seems like a bargain to me. I wonder though if you have to feed the mini refinery workers?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
You sure it is made in the USA:

"IN JAPAN SINCE 1985, AND 1N USA FROM 1998"

Well I was just going by the pic

I suppose the big ol' "USA" stamped on the outside could be a ruse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out the Q&A (note you cannot use a roll of TP as a filter replacement):

4. Could you use the regular tissue paper as a filter element available in grocery stores?

NO!!! Trasko’s patented tissue rolls are composed of different porosity and permeability.

Originally Posted By: fonebone

Well I was just going by the pic here: http://www.trasko-usa.com/filter-paypal-order.htm

I'm guessing it might be..... Selling in Japan since 1985 before selling in the US in 1998 seems to be a pretty big clue
grin2.gif

Found their history page:

"1. Trasko in Brief: The Trasko Refining Unit came about when the Govt. officials of the Tokyo metropolis started exploring the possibilities of improving the maintenance of their vehicles for increasing their longevity and reducing environmental impacts. In 1985 the Trasko-Bee Corporation in a joint venture with the Subaru Motor Corporation in Japan introduced this refining unit and won an award from the Mayor of Tokyo. The manufacturing premises were expanded to establish The Trasko-Korea Co. Ltd. August 1998, rehman enterprises introduces the Trasko Ultra-Fine Unit for the first time and makes it available both for fleet and individual use."

Well I was just going by the pic here: http://www.trasko-usa.com/filter-paypal-order.htm

I'm guessing it might be..... Selling in Japan since 1985 before selling in the US in 1998 seems to be a pretty big clue
grin2.gif

Oh well... I suppose you could always go German for $858.00: http://www.trabold.net/trabold.html

I especially liked this gem: "At 10,000 miles per month, the Trabold System pays for itself within the first five months."

Last edited:
Some pretty fantastic claims on this filter. Wonder if there's been any independent lab testing done on it?

Oh well... I suppose you could always go German for $858.00: http://www.trabold.net/trabold.html

I especially liked this gem: "At 10,000 miles per month, the Trabold System pays for itself within the first five months."

I do almost 6K KM's a month and I have back problems and a sore butt because of it... I could only imagine 10K miles.
shocked2.gif

I have one that I cannot use on my car due to size. I originally bought it for my Dodge Dakota. It works nice. It is well made and it is reusable the casing is. It use's a special element that looks like a tube of TP but it is not. It is wound many times tighter then TP and is single ply. It is oven backed in a kiln and will not channel the way TP does. The center tube is also thicker then TP. Never use TP in them even if it will fit! TP is not wound tight enough and will channel which makes the bypass feature worthless. The filters that are designed to use TP pre tension the TP and require more freq. changes. The Trasko the first time you use should be changed at 6 months but after the first use if you keep using it you can go 1 year between filter element changes unless they have changed things.

So after I go rid of my Dodge my Dad used the remaining three elements I had along with the filter on his Tacoma. It has been sitting in my pole barn now for a while! I need to get a remote filter relocation set up for it.

If I had the money to spend I would get one for my power steering and for both of my Mom's automatics!

I am going to be useing mine when I go to 12 month oil change intervals!

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
The filters that are designed to use TP pre tension the TP and require more freq. changes.

Wait, there are filters like this that ARE designed to use TP???

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
The filters that are designed to use TP pre tension the TP and require more freq. changes.

Wait, there are filters like this that ARE designed to use TP???

It uses a roll of paper like a TP roll but obviously not exactly. It does not filter by forcing oil through all those layers (from the center to the outside like normal oil filter). It filter by forcing oil from one end to the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back