S & W SIGMA SERIES

Status
Not open for further replies.
If your going to have a drawer/desk/house gun then in that case I'd get a nice revolver too. Generally speaking my autos are more field pistols for the outside the house. In that case then one must definewhat your intentions are.

One revolver I know that's rock soild are the Rugers! Built so good they'll last longer than I will. Perhaps a nice 38 special loaded with some nice hollow points and perhaps a couple spare speed loaders is more than enough for most if not all house situations.

The Sigma pistols may have a much heavier trigger pull but I still say they're just as reliable in everyway assuming one take care of them. I also have two SA "XD" pistols and I find them to be relaible just like Sigma, Glock and the Rugers. The only pistols in my battery that have been finicky are my 1911's (new in box until broken in) and my Sig Sauer 220!

Durango

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MADMIKE
The thing is, this gun is going to literally sit in a drawer and never be used, so the finer points like trigger pull and cheap materials, etc aren’t a concern, just cost and especially reliability for the 1 in a million chance that I need to fire it on my property some day in self defense. I just want to make sure it doesn’t have a reputation for being a jamming machine before buying it. As far as which caliber to select, ballistically speaking, is one of these rounds significantly superior to the other in terms of muzzle energy? Thanks again!

Revolver.

Thanks for all the opinions and info guys, I have a revolver for upstairs if someone breaks in while we're sleeping (S&W Model 10 loaded with Winchester 158 gr LSWCHP ammo) and it occurred to me I should also have something on the first floor so I wouldn't have to bolt up the stairs and down the hall to the bedroom and back if something happens on the first floor) so I was thinking of becoming more progressive and trying a semi-auto as my second weapon. But the more I think about it (thanks to Durango and Tempest) I think I'll just go with another low tech but reliable S&W revolver for peace of mind, maybe a Model 64 which is just a Model 10 with a plated finish.

MADMIKE,

If a revolver is your steady diet then maybe you should look into a Taurus mod.85 stoked with the same hollowpoints that you have for that Smith & Wesson. Their all rated for plus P's and basically their very simular to the S&W's anyway. Besides that all Taurus's are backed by a lifetime warranty to boot.

Durango

I bought a Sigma in 9mm when they were about to outlaw hi cap magazines. It never jammed, but in spite of that, it was the worst pistol I have ever owned. It shot horribly, something I attributed to the "rusty trigger" mechanism. I ended up giving it away - no way I could have charged anything and been able to look myself in the mirror afterwards.

If something is a threat, you need to hit it center mass reliably, and be able to make a head shot if it doesn't go down. If it isn't a threat, you don't need to shoot it. If you want something for self defense, pick something you can shoot well and practice with it. Otherwise, in my opinion, having a firearm is worse than having nothing.

Originally Posted By: MADMIKE
Thanks for all the opinions and info guys, I have a revolver for upstairs if someone breaks in while we're sleeping (S&W Model 10 loaded with Winchester 158 gr LSWCHP ammo) and it occurred to me I should also have something on the first floor so I wouldn't have to bolt up the stairs and down the hall to the bedroom and back if something happens on the first floor) so I was thinking of becoming more progressive and trying a semi-auto as my second weapon. But the more I think about it (thanks to Durango and Tempest) I think I'll just go with another low tech but reliable S&W revolver for peace of mind, maybe a Model 64 which is just a Model 10 with a plated finish.

I bought a Sigma SW40V back in 1998. It's survived 11 years as my "car gun" and is dead reliable. I put a couple hundred rounds through it this summer and it was really not bad to shoot. The trigger pull on mine is a bit heavy but honestly, I like it. I don't know whether or not they've reduced trigger pull effort since my model came out, but still, it's really not bad. As the previous poster stated, right now Academy Sports has them for $319 (and tax free in louisiana this weekend!). You can't find a much better new pistol for that price. I agree revolvers are obviously very reliable. But I've yet to find anything UNreliable about a Sigma.

Originally Posted By: Buffman
If you just want it go to bang and it's going to sit in a drawer, then get a hipoint...

The Academy at Joplin wouldn't sell me a Sigma because I had an Arkansas driver license, so when I got back to the lake (was there for the holiday weekend), I went to a local gun shop and came home with, among other firearms, a ...... Hi-Point JCP .40! First Hi-Point I had ever seen and I bought it on a whim.

But, after handling it a bit, it kinda grew on me, enough that I spent the better part of yesterday afternoon tracking down a new 995 carbine, and killing a few hours to go buy it. The carbines are darn hard to find around here, the .40 is simply unobtainium.

The 995 feels about as comfortable to hold as my Beretta Cx4 Storm 9mm carbine. I think for $230 bucks, the Hi-Point carbines are a deal if you can find one.

Sorry for the threadjack, but it looked like the Sigma part had played out.

Yeah, I've been thinking about trying to track down a Hi-Point Carbine in .40 cal since I already have a stockpile for my Sigma.

I have a Sigma .380 it is a poorly made gun and pretty much of a disposable gun with a terrible pull. But for me its great..very light, small, double action full time, and dead on reliable. Its a good carry gun for me for those rare times that I carry.

Yea, get a wheel gun.

I have an XD-9 but thought about a sigma. Local gun store has them for $329 minus a $50 rebate. A good 45% less than an XD. Once I found out that its basically double action, I thought that was kind of shady. I think the Ruger SR9 is a better option for about $100 less than a glock or XD.

I owned one of the first full sized Sigmas in 40 S&W. I hated it so much I sold it after shooting 1 box of ammo through it.

The new compacts seem better but they're made to appeal to the the mostly low budget purchaser. A few more $ will get you an M&P that's got a better trigger and is far superior IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back