Pennzoil Platinum really cleans up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings:

I have used quite a few quality oils in my time, including Amsoil! But PP is really good for the money! I just changed the oil in my most recent aquired vehicle (PP/Motorcraft S820 oil filter), a 97 ford explorer 5.0 V8 AWD. with the first 800 or so miles the oil went from honey colored to dark brown molasses. I am using a K&N filter in the OE air box. I will be changing it again real soon. Usually, I leave it in for at least 5,000 miles. My 93 explorer eb Edition maintains honey colored oil for almost the 4000 miles before it begins to slightly darken. So PP does what it says! The truck runs so quiet too! What say you?

Best Regards

Oil colour isn't a good indication of how well an oil is faring, only a UOA is.

As for cleaning, one oil might turn dark and do no cleaning but turns dark because of its composition and additive package.

The other might clean very well but only turn colours to a dark brown.

Again a UOA is the only way to tell for certain what is happening with the oil.

That said I have had great results with M1, PP and Amsoil doing an excellent job cleaning up engines.

cheers3.gif

Steve

After running Mobil 1 for many, many years I'm just about done with my first year of running PP. Glad I made the change, and PP will be the oil I run in my 88 E-150 for now on. My only regret was I didn't make the change years ago.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
After running Mobil 1 for many, many years I'm just about done with my first year of running PP. Glad I made the change, and PP will be the oil I run in my 88 E-150 for now on. My only regret was I didn't make the change years ago.
21.gif

Has it been around for years?

I've got 2200 miles on PP 5w20 (1st time using). so far the opposite effect, it's remained lighter in color than M1. Probably due to the short cleaning cycle I did with MMO the last oci then gunk flush. I think I may have been going too many miles 10K plus with M1 15w50 which I used previously. Or may have something to do with thin vs thick oil? Don't know.

Yes, how many? Not sure.

10/4, for some reason I thought it was new.

No it has been around a while, maybe Johnny will see this thread and let us know.

PP is a good oil for sure. It's been run exclusively in my Forester since 10k km. I broke her in on short dino runs and subsequently switched and have been happy ever since. PP in the Forester turns dark within a couple thousand miles.

No it has been around a while, maybe Johnny will see this thread and let us know.

Don't remember the exact date they changed the name to Platinum, but it has been at least six years.

Originally Posted By: Johnny

Don't remember the exact date they changed the name to Platinum, but it has been at least six years.

Thanks Johnny. I knew it was out for a while, sorry I waited as long as I did to give it a try.

At only 800 miles, a quick darkening of the oil indicates to me some cleaning, in general.
[Unless it was severely overheated during this time.]

Well PP is ok it is not that great though when you figure in the fact that it cannot last much longer in an engine then it's dino counter part. When I think synthetic I think 10K-25K mile OCI if I chose to go that long. I would not choose PP as my first choice if I needed increadble anti-wear properties or insane long drain interval......It's TBN retension stinks. If you already have a clean engine then what is doing for you? A whole lot of nothing really. Does PP 5W30 meet GM's Corvette Spec.?

It is a decent quasi synthetic but beyond that not much can be said. It is not any better then RTS 5W40 and that stuff has been around far longer then the current version of PP. No one hardly ever gives RTS any praise at all. PP has great marketing. We have no idea if it is doing any cleaning at all let alone if it is meeting the claims they are making! In fact no matter how much cleaning it does it cannot match Auto-Rx yet that products normally get's it's teeth kicked in for making any claims at all about it's cleaning ability. It is also well documented with photographic evidence and testimonials.....When have seen any documentation in the form of photographs of a member's car being cleaned of 58% of sludge after 1 oil change of PP where are all the testimonial of how it cleaned out all the sludge and fixed my seals blah blah.........................

If their is one thing I am big on it is having a standard and applying it to everyone or everything. Not this blindly praising the product of the month stuff.

We cannot tell how much cleaning an oil is doing by the color alone as this is something that is effected by oxidation/reduction, any chemicals left over from the last oil change,heat,cold,anything in the fuel that got past the rings etc.........

Now their is one exception to this rule. If you drained your oil and put in say 4 fresh quarts and ran the engine for 30 minutes pulled the dip stick and it was a nice golden yellow then you added a pint or two of B12 Chmetool and in 15 minutes the oil was black as tar then and only then in that short space of time could the darkening and in some cases thickening be attributed directly to the solvents action in the engine.

I have had some oil that looked like new 5000 miles into an oil change and other's that looked used while I was pouring it from the bottle! In fact I have seen some oils turn colors in as little as 300 miles.

In fact it had been so long since I used Dino oil that I thought I got a bottle of used oil it was so dark compared to what I have become accustome too with synthetic.

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
Does PP 5W30 meet GM's Corvette Spec.?

It's one of the very few oils besides M1 that "officially" meets both GM 4718M and Honda HTO-06.

I agree that PP is nothing particularly special when compared to a few of high end oils, but I do think PP is one of the better 20-30 weight oils you can buy at Wal-Mart. I prefer it to M1's non-EP 20 and 30 weights personally.

I'm running a PP trial in my truck right now. Truck has always had Mobil 1 but I figured I'd try PP. I have all my past UOA's and will do a UAO on the PP to see how it does compared to the Mobil 1. So far, I think I will be going back to Mobil 1 but I can't wait to run this oil out so I can get a UOA and share with you all. I am only going to run 4-5k so I can get this trial done.

I agree with the folks saying it's nothing real special - a grp III syn with great marketing. However, I am sure it's still a very good oil...just not sure how it'll do against Mobil 1 as far as my application and UOA's are concerned. I am one of those guys who cannot accept a grp III oil as a real synthetic oil.

According to all the UOA gurus you should run 2 OCI's to be fair to the "new brand of oil". If you are changing to something like RLI it could take up to 4 OCI's to get a fair, valid, reading. Just thought I'd pass that along.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I agree with the folks saying it's nothing real special - a grp III syn with great marketing. However, I am sure it's still a very good oil...just not sure how it'll do against Mobil 1 as far as my application and UOA's are concerned. I am one of those guys who cannot accept a grp III oil as a real synthetic oil.

It's a group III base, but it apparently contains some esters. And I believe buster has said PP 5W-30 has some PAO in it as well. M1 contains a decent amount of group III in their 20 and 30 weights as well, but probably less than PP.
21.gif
Whatever it contains, ever engine I've switched over to PP from M1 (in 5W-20 and 5W-30) has run a bit better and used a bit less oil.

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
It's TBN retension stinks.

Here is a comparison between Amsoil SSO and PP. This is just one UOA of many that shows that PP's TBN not only doesn't stink but is very good, in my opinion. I know you were absent from this forum for a while so maybe your mental database regarding PP is from outdated UOA data (older formulation)?
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post1578858

Quote:
If their is one thing I am big on it is having a standard and applying it to everyone or everything. Not this blindly praising the product of the month stuff.

I can only speak for myself but I am a data-based decision guy...no blind praising from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back