Did OCI with Rotella 15-40 HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
About 2 weeks ago I bought 2 quarts of Castrol 4T 10-40 ($5 a quart with an AZ credit I had) for 4 stroke motorcycles and then changed my mind and decided to run Rotella 15-40 HD instead.
blush.gif

AZ wouldn't credit me for the Castrol because I can't find my receipt, so I installed the Rotella anyway, with a new Suzuki oil filter, which is only about 1.5 inches in diameter.

Seems to run good on it. I took it for a spin around town.
cool.gif

Rotella 15w40 has the strongest clutch grip of any oil. That's why some dont like it cause the clutch is so grippy , the shifting is notchy.

The last thing to worry about with rotella 15w40 is clutch slippage.

I hate the stuff myself

Just hang on to your Castrol, you should be able to find some use for it in the future.

Funny you mention it chevofreak, the other day I was trying a power wheelie in 2nd gear and the rear tire started spinning. It amused me the 125 could do that with all the weight I put over that rear wheel.

btw, alot of bike manufacturers recommend 2 oil changes per filter change if you're interested

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
The only slip I've ever felt on a diesel oil is when my back tire breaks loose.

yeah baby ... +1

i run the Rotella T 5W40 in my ZRX1200R all the time ... same thing

slippage at the rear wheel when my right hand gets too grabby

Last edited:
Just hang on to your Castrol, you should be able to find some use for it in the future.

Yeah, if I don't like the Rotella I may run the Castrol next OCI. I think I'll be OK with it unless it becomes a pain to shift it or something.

btw, alot of bike manufacturers recommend 2 oil changes per filter change if you're interested

I didn't know that. The filter on this bike is about the size of a 35mm roll of film. I was surprised at how tiny it is.

The oil I drained out looked quite dark, about the color of dark maple syrup but not molasses. :)

Do you think the Rotella T is good for a one year OCI if I only run it 3-4k miles?

Originally Posted By: philobeddoe
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
The only slip I've ever felt on a diesel oil is when my back tire breaks loose.

yeah baby ... +1

i run the Rotella T 5W40 in my ZRX1200R all the time ... same thing

slippage at the rear wheel when my right hand gets too grabby

I went riding a couple weeks ago and I hadn't ridden in a few weeks due to the weather, and was a bit throttle happy. The streets were slightly dirty, and I ended up doing a power drift around a few corners. It's fun, as long as you don't overdo it.....

Originally Posted By: Lurch

Do you think the Rotella T is good for a one year OCI if I only run it 3-4k miles?

Too, many vairables. What bike, what conditions, whats teh sump capcity?

Example I run my cruisers and sportbikes 2,500-3,000 an OCI
Dualsports 1 -1.5k OCI
Dirtbikes 6 hours

Hi.

It's a 2007 UM V2S 250R with 4200 miles. (V-twin, oil and air cooled).

Oil capacity is about 1.8 qts.

I only put about 2500 miles on it in the last 12 months.

In your case I would change the oil once a year before putting it away for the winter. That way you get all the old and acidic combustion contaminats out of your oil and you are ready to ride in the spring.

Hi.

I don't put my bike away for the Winter here in Tennessee because our Winter weather varies and it often gets up into the 40s and 50s throughout Winter.

In NH I put my bikes away for 3+ months in Winter but not here, and many people don't here. We tend to ride year round here, just not in real cold weather. One day it can be frigid here but 2 days later can feel like Spring.

Still, I think the one year OCI will be OK. Thanks for your replies.

Just changed the oil and filter on my '09 Triumph Bonneville. This was the first change at 495 miles. The dealer obviously over filled as the the site glass was completely submerged. Anyway I used 15w-40 Rotella and a Pureone filter. The manual listed 4 qts but it took about 4 1/3 qts. including prefill of the filter. By the end of the first ride I noticed much better shifting. As I am pretty obsessed about oil changes and tend to to do them at 2500 miles I will probably stick with the Rotella. I may switch to 20W-50 Mobil 1 V-twin this summer as it gets pretty hot down here in GA in the summer. I use Rotella in my old Ford pickup ('79 Ford 302) so having just one oil in the shed is a plus. Rotella is $11 a gallon at Wally World where as Mobil 1 V-twin is $10 a qt. Any thoughts?

Auto, I would not run the Pureone filter on a bike. They specifically say do not use that filter on a motorcycle.

I use them in my car all the time but my bike gets stock Suzuki oil filters, the same ones run on $250,000 superbikes.

Maybe drop them an e-mail and ask them why they don't want that filter on a motorcycle.

Congrats on the new ride! Speed safe!

I run Pure one PL14610 on my zx9r and have for the past 4 years, no issues as of yet. And I am betting I wont have any either.

Asking a vehicle manufacturer what oil filter to use is like asking them if their "brand" is the best. They're going to tell you to use their stuff. It's kind of like asking a lawyer if he want's your money? We pretty much know what the answer will be.

I've never heard of issues with using PureOne oil filters on any motorcycle. I have read that some oil filters have bypass relief valves that might open at other than desired oil pressures. I'd say that if there is a concern with the PureOne filter, do some research to see if there's anything negative floating around out there.

PureOne filter PL14610 is top rated for use on motorcycles. I've been using it for years as well with no problems. Paying oem prices for things like that is a waste of money.

I've run PureOne PL14610s on my Kawasaki EX500 for two years and about 13,000 miles with no known problems. Oil (Rotella syn 5W-40) comes out looking very clean too at 3-5K.

However, I did see that message from Purolator saying not to use the Pure Ones on motorcycles. It specifically says that some oil pumps can't handle them. I don't know what to make of it. Here's the message:

"If you're thinking you want to install a PureONE oil filter on your bike, please think again. PureONE oil filters are designed for vehicles, not bikes. Because of PureONE's high efficiency, the motorcycle oil pump may not be able to handle the pressure. The Purolator motorcycle filter line is designed to meet the specific needs of a bike; therefore we highly recommend the use of a Purolator ML filter over a PureONE oil filter."

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
I've run PureOne PL14610s on my Kawasaki EX500 for two years and about 13,000 miles with no known problems. Oil (Rotella syn 5W-40) comes out looking very clean too at 3-5K.

However, I did see that message from Purolator saying not to use the Pure Ones on motorcycles. It specifically says that some oil pumps can't handle them. I don't know what to make of it. Here's the message:

"If you're thinking you want to install a PureONE oil filter on your bike, please think again. PureONE oil filters are designed for vehicles, not bikes. Because of PureONE's high efficiency, the motorcycle oil pump may not be able to handle the pressure. The Purolator motorcycle filter line is designed to meet the specific needs of a bike; therefore we highly recommend the use of a Purolator ML filter over a PureONE oil filter."

I think they say that so people do not use them on low pressure systems where flow is very important(some H-D engines, and some Japanese engines that use roller/ball bearings on the crank). My 2007 FZ6 has oil pressure and relief specs similar to a car. Therefore a PureOne will work just fine in these types of applications.

Well I have no idea what my system is but I run the pure one. No signs of anything going on inside from my uoa's but just copper has been really high past few ones, I am sending in a sample of Valvoline Synpower 20W50 this week and will see what happens with this one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back