Motor Oil in Transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am changing my transmission oil on my BMW R25/3 and the manual calls for 40W motor oil. Should I stick with motor oil or move up to gear oil?

I would use what it calls for, the Gear oil may have different properties that would affect shifting and possibly cause accelerated wear.

+1, I wouldn't even put 10w40 in it. If the bike wants 40wt then the bike gets 40wt, no?

ALWAYS (well, at least most of the time) try to follow what the manufacturer suggests. There really is no better way.

Although sometimes they get crazy and say not to use diesel oil with a higer rating than CD. Just something Yamaha put in the manual for my bike.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Gear oil may be incompatible with some of the metals in the transmission. If it calls for engine oil, use engine oil.

Yes certain types of hypoid oil can eat on softer metals.

Originally Posted By: heavyhitter
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Gear oil may be incompatible with some of the metals in the transmission. If it calls for engine oil, use engine oil.

Yes certain types of hypoid oil can eat on softer metals.

GL-5 gear oils for hypoid gears* compounded with the older additives will attack yellow metals (brass & bronze). GL-5 oils where the label says that they are suitable for applications calling for GL-4 gear oil are made with modern additives that are safe with yellow metals.

By the way, 40 wt. engine oil is about the same viscosity as 85W or 90 wt. gear oil. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=55

If BMW wants 40 wt., use 40 wt. unless a competent BMW bike mechanic has good experience with something else, or if a BMW forum shows good results with a gear oil.

*Hypoid gears are gears where the input shaft is on a different plane than the output shafts. An automobile differential is an example with the input lower than the output. Because of the sliding action on the gear teeth specially compounded gear oil is needed...the GL-5 spec.

Gear oil won't shear as fast as motor oil. Harley Davidson was recommending people use their Syn3 20w50 in the transmission. They have since stopped doing so. If there are synchros in the trans then I would use a GL4 75w90 trans oil like Redline MT90. Unless you like changing the oil all the time.

My Harley was one speced for the 20w50 in the trans and the dealer was insistent at first about it. I went with RL Shockproof Heavy 75w250 and it only needs to be changed every 3 years with my riding style. SInce then the dealer is using BelRay 85w140 because too many guys were coming back with whining transmissions running the 20w50.

PT1, If you check Harley's web site it still recommends using their syn 3 in the trans. I don't use it but if I suddenly found I needed oil, I'd use it. I've been running Amsoil 20/50 in my '03 ultra for a few years and it works perfect. It's a gl1 rated oil and thats really all a Harley trans needs. I would be a little skeptical using an oil that is too heavy in the trans. A Harleys trans isn't subject to high heat,or high horsepower. And when it gets cold may not flow as well as needed to lubricate bearings. If your using heavy oil to mask a whine your not fixing anything, just covering it up.,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back