Recommend Trans fluid that meets Honda ATF-Z1

Status
Not open for further replies.
>>I also believe Amsoil warranties the transmission if it goes bad using their ATF if the Amsoil guide listed that ATF for the transmission and the transmission was sound to start with.
Not quite. AMSOIL warrants that their lubes will not cause any problem when used as recommended in a sound piece of equipment. If something metal breaks because of stress, or bad design, it won't be covered. AMSOIL is sure of their lubes because they make them--obviously, they don't make transmissions or engines.

Originally Posted By: jmb106
I would reccomend, Amsoil Atf and the Maxlife Atf. I use both and have no problems.
Joe

Do they feel different for you in the first 30k?

Z1 is all i use in my accord and have 341,600 miles on the original auto trans. the amsoil or M1 should be ok, but there are some who argue against it in honda's.

Originally Posted By: joel95ex
Z1 is all i use in my accord and have 341,600 miles on the original auto trans. the amsoil or M1 should be ok, but there are some who argue against it in honda's.

What year is your Accord and what engine? How often do you change the ATF to get such an impressive service life.

Well,aparently,not in Joels's Honda. Not in my '02 Accord V6 with 101k Bass Boat towing miles.

Change any atf enough and longevity will be the end result. In many transmissions you can run a improper spec fluid and as long as it's changed early the thing will live a relatively happy life.

Run Z1 in a regular end user service situation (60-80K with no service) and you will quickly see how inferior this atf truely is. Been there, done that. Do the same thing with amsoil or other syn atf's and the outcome is completely different.

I can bet the 300K+ honda tranny( amazing with hondas track record of transmission building inability) had Howard Hughes like OCD sevice perfromed. So like I stated, any fluid would have sufficed. ST 5w-30 is also pretty impressive when changed every 1500 miles.....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Originally Posted By: joel95ex

What year is your Accord and what engine? How often do you change the ATF to get such an impressive service life.

95 accord EX. f22 vtec 4-cylinder. Auto trans. I was changing is every 30 to 40K but the last 4 years, I switched to about 15 to 20K miles. I also ran an ARX cycle last year. since it only drains about 2.5 qts at a time, i try to keep it fresh. I even ran some regular QS dex II in there about 6 years ago.

Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
Change any atf enough and longevity will be the end result. In many transmissions you can run a improper spec fluid and as long as it's changed early the thing will live a relatively happy life.

Run Z1 in a regular end user service situation (60-80K with no service) and you will quickly see how inferior this atf truely is. Been there, done that. Do the same thing with amsoil or other syn atf's and the outcome is completely different.

I can bet the 300K+ honda tranny( amazing with hondas track record of transmission building inability) had Howard Hughes like OCD sevice perfromed. So like I stated, any fluid would have sufficed. ST 5w-30 is also pretty impressive when changed every 1500 miles.....

The 6th gen accords are the ones with the "bad" autos. the 5th gens (94-97) IMO were the best hondas ever made. My friend had a 93 accord with 333K miles with the original motor and trans but the only reason he got rid of it was because it had a massive rear main leak and high miles---(high according to him)

Yes, I am quite familiar with the problematic years. I happen to own a 99 TL. Honda still produces a fairly pathetic automatic comparatively speaking.

Last edited:
I recently changed the ATF in our '03 Accord using Castrol Import instead of ATF-Z1. So far it shifts beautifully about 800 miles post change. I just couldn't see paying 2x for the dealer fluid when it takes over 10 quarts to do the drain, fill, drive, drain, etc. routine four times as Honda recommends.

Originally Posted By: wgtoys
I recently changed the ATF in our '03 Accord using Castrol Import instead of ATF-Z1. So far it shifts beautifully about 800 miles post change. I just couldn't see paying 2x for the dealer fluid when it takes over 10 quarts to do the drain, fill, drive, drain, etc. routine four times as Honda recommends.

I don't think I've ever heard of that routine before. Is there any information on it from Honda?

Honda usually recommends the drain and fill three times, not four times. At least, that's according to the factory service manual for the '89 Accord. So far i've got 216k on my Honda auto and it's still working great.

My Honda service manual says to drain the fluid, refill, drive around and then to repeat three times. By my math that makes four total drain cycles. I think the procedure might also be called out in the maintenance section of the owner's manual, but I'm too tired and lazy to run out to the shop to look it up. Honda specifically says NOT to use an ATF flush machine. I have no idea why, but I've done it Honda's way.

Another option would indeed be to just drain and fill 3 quarts every so often, but I have generally chosen to do it by the book. I don't have a great argument for doing it my/Honda's way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back