Red Line 15w-40 Diesel- clutch slip? >>

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wet clutch BMW K1200R specs a 15w-40 oil for my climate range. I bought a jug of Red Line 15w-40 Diesel oil and noted that on the back label it claims "the lowest coefficient of friction available" -that seems sort of at odds with Motorex Power Synt 4t, which claims the highest coefficient of friction!

Yes, I'm an idiot. I ordered the gallon jug of Red Line from an online vendor, and nothing on Red Line's website or elsewhere mentions the above referenced claim.

I'm just wondering whether or not I ought to put it in my bike... In a synthetic formulation, how critical is the coefficient of friction with respect to a wet clutch?

Good first post

Welcome aboard. I would say when in doubt err on the side of caution. I know RL is packed with moly which is debated to cause slippage in high amounts.

I dont know enough about that oil to tell you what to choose but I would be nervous.

The problem with clucth slippage caused by oil doesnt really happen over night either, it sorta happens over time so you cant really try it and know right away.

Ummm,

sounds risky especially being in a heavier weight, I've had mild slipping issues with their 10w40 car oil.

I'm thinking of trying their new Motorcycle oil, supposidly specifly formulated for good wet clutch performance.

its not necessarliy an immediate issue, took few thousand mile of exposure before I saw the mild slippage begin. But you strating off with a thicker base oil.

Last edited:
On a side note, you can use it for a top off oil, I've done that with left over 10w40 redline, a little of it is okay.

My bike holds 3.3 quart, I hate to buy a whole quart for .3 so the redline gets the fill jobs. It's definitely by my experience works fine for that.

Last edited:
See if you can't find a Red Line retailer to swap it (+ ca$h, if need$ be) for some of their mc-specific oil?

Personally I don't think there would be a problem since it claims to be, among other things, SG compatible...

I just don't know all the ins & outs of JASO DH-1 vs. JASO MA.

Cheers!

p.s. How do you like your K1200R?

Ken,

Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, in your BMW where a 15W-40 is called for I would recommend the Motorcycle 10W40, a little broader viscosity than a 15W-40. The 15W40 could certainly be used, and isn't too slippery for the wet clutch.

Regards, Dave
Red Line Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back