Not open for further replies.
So you like the MTL, eh Big Block?
confused.gif

Why am I not surprised?
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by RobZ71LM7:
I use Mobil 1 ATF in my '94 Camaro's T56 and it shifts nice and smooth. A lot of people at CZ28.com seem to prefer Honda's synthetic ATF for the T56.

I'm running Honda ATF in my T56 now and I can't say I would recommend it. It was fine in warmer weather bit since it has cooled off its gotten noticably notchier. Now it really doesnt like downshifting into 2nd when its cold. Now keep in mind I live in FL and when I say cold I mean about 45-50F, I can't imagine what it would be like up north.

I had M1 ATF in there before the Honda stuff and it was about the same warm but definately not as notchy when cold.

I will probably try the Pennzoil ATF soon if I can find any.

MTL positively DOES NOT belong in the T56. MTL is a gear oil and the T56 needs an ATF type of oil!!!

Redline makes a ATF-Gl4 (Redline D4 ATF) that is absolutely great in this tranny! I had it in my 98 Z28 with the same tranny. We had several people on the LS1.com board who had problems running Mobil 1 synthetic ATF in this tranny....seemed too slick for the synchros and shifting got notchy or even would grind the gears once in a while on a fast shift.....
quote:

Originally posted by Big Block:
I have read many posts in regard to the best oil for this trans, several people feel the T-56 doesn't do well with synthetics. The recommended oil is Dexron 3 (car is '96 Z/28), and Penzoil seems a good choice. I have also read about Redline MTL, which appears to be of a slightly higher viscosity than ATF D3. I am attracted to Redlines claims (and one user claim on another board) that it increases shift smoothness. Should I have any concearns about using MTL in this application? I am new to this board (great information here) and interested to learn more about oils.

Scott

[ December 28, 2002, 11:39 PM: Message edited by: Alex D ]

I wish the engineers of the T-56 would design a better sychronizer set up. I feel the problem would be eliminated or greatly improved. As for synchromesh gear oils, there is surely a lot of different technology built into fluids and opinions on fluids out there. Really makes it difficult to pick a fluid. Mikeyoilnutt.
pat.gif

Before I bought my car my friend put the royal purple atf in it and ATF IS THE ONLY THING YOU SHOULD PUT IN IT, THATS WHAT IT WAS DESIGNED FOR. When cold like 30-40 it clunks and makes more noise when shifting 1-2, it also has nearly 70k on it which may or may not be a lot considering the abuse its been through.

Just swapped out some 10,000 mile old Redline ATF D4 which shifted like crap for some Mobil 1 ATF (never tried it) in our T56 99 C5 vette
smile.gif

Well, dad's loving it, and it shifts a whole lot better. Plus the tranny is running cooler now. We went on an 800+ mile cruise and it is a far cry better than what came out of it.

I think syncromesh is the preferred fluid for the T56. The RP has had issues with breaking down the paper lining on the syncros. I'm currently using a mix of pennzoil syncromesh and Mobil 1 ATF. It seems to be a slight improvement over straight synchromesh.

I have been running Redline D4 in my turbocharged SS for some time now. Shifted great. Last time I checked none of the aftermarket T-56 builders recommended syncromesh.

Originally Posted By: wannafbody
I think syncromesh is the preferred fluid for the T56. The RP has had issues with breaking down the paper lining on the syncros. I'm currently using a mix of pennzoil syncromesh and Mobil 1 ATF. It seems to be a slight improvement over straight synchromesh.

In the TR3650 and the T56 synchroMESH should NOT be used. There was a very long thread on corral.net. A Tremec engineer or two came in and gave the info. synchroMESH = BAD synchroMAX = Good To Go.

Originally Posted By: AdRock
Originally Posted By: wannafbody

In the TR3650 and the T56 synchroMESH should NOT be used. There was a very long thread on corral.net. A Tremec engineer or two came in and gave the info. synchroMESH = BAD synchroMAX = Good To Go.

From my limited research that info on the T56 and fluid choice is dependent on the year the transmission was manufactured.

I've been using Pennzoil Synchromesh in my 2004 Cobra for the past couple thousand miles. No problem here. Trans engages gears smoothly with no clash.

Just did a trans fluid change on my 05 Viper (also T56 equipped) and I replaced the stock Castrol Syntorq with Royal Purple Synchromax. Noticed a very nice upgrade in shifting the car after that.

I have heard that full synthetic fluids are a no no in the earlier produced T56 transmissions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back