Trans fluid for BMW M3??

Originally Posted By: 4wheels
If you like Redline, then the D4 ATF is actually the correct fluid for this trans (just as Redline suggested). It's the same viscosity range (within tolerance anyway) as the factory fill. I've heard of some folks running MTL, but it'll be a bit harder to shift. Some have had issue with the Redline needing more frequent changes than the OEM BMW fluid.

You could run the OEM BMW fluid. It's good stuff. The BMW stuff can be mail ordered for about $30 per liter from online discount BMW parts stores, or you can try an OE alternative made by Pentosin who does supply some BMW factory fluids) for ~$20 per liter.

For 3x the price of Redline, no thanx on the factory fill. Even if I have to change it every 15k I'm money ahead.

Originally Posted By: 4wheels
If you like Redline, then the D4 ATF is actually the correct fluid for this trans (just as Redline suggested). It's the same viscosity range (within tolerance anyway) as the factory fill. I've heard of some folks running MTL, but it'll be a bit harder to shift. Some have had issue with the Redline needing more frequent changes than the OEM BMW fluid.

Actually, I disagree directly with this. Dave@RL and I had a specific conversation about this. They recommend D4ATF by default because it will work in a manual and is a thin product, thus "easy shifting" although perhaps not offering maximum protection. They'd rather err on the thin side than receive complaints about difficult shifting from some users who aren't really taking viscosity into account.

From all of my readings, the MTF-LTx fluids are around 9 cSt, which is thicker than D4ATF and more in line with MTL.

Dave indicated that any of D4ATF, MTL and MT-90 could be used in my BMW ZF, but they may be hard to shift in the cold and I may need to tailor my choice with that in mind. I found that MTL was just dandy down to at least -20C or so and shifted BETTER than D4ATF in warmer months. I know of several BMW owners running MT-90 year-round in more temperate climates (like California) and they love it. As long as the synchros are working properly, the gears and bearings are probably better protected by a little more thickness.

Last edited:
google search does amazing things!
Because anything bmw labeled is overpriced and/or there are better options.
I am not sure that anything BMW is overpriced. Their differential fluid is priced as any other good quality product. ZF fluid is expensive, and transfer case fluid is expensive.
Also, how do you know Maxlife is better? Sorry, but Maxlife is universal fluid and I am personally bit sceptical of these "one size fits all" fluids.

Back