Oil suggestions for 2009 Infinniti G37 Coupe ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son just bought a 2009 Infinniti G37 Coupe, what are your oil recommendations?

I know that Infinniti recommends their "house ester oil", anyone know who makes that or what it's cost is?

Also what should be the OCI, 3750 or 7500 miles?

Here is what I found:

Nissan Ester Engine Oil 5W-30
999MP-5W30EP

Nissan Genuine 5W-30 Ester Engine Oil for both the 370Z and G37 platforms.

Nissan 5W-30 Ester oil is recommended by Nissan/ Infiniti for all 370Z/G37.

Sold individually.

Z1 also offers full 370Z/G37 Oil Change Kits including the required 5 quarts of Nissan Engine Oil and a Nissan Oil Filter (15208-65F0C). The 370Z/G37 oil change kits can be found Here.

$10.50

Quote:
There is an interesting article by Mike Kojima on another site (can't post the address here) that goes
into great detail about the Nissan oil. The price is about the same as Redline. Here are a couple of quotes:

"Nissan's special oil and their newly developed hydrogen free DLC coating on cam followers reduces the amount of friction produced by the valve train by a huge amount. This can make a considerable difference in fuel economy, power output and perhaps even heat generation.

What is Nissan's special oil? The oil was developed to complement Nissan's Hydrogen free DLC coating used on the cam followers in the QR25DE engine, the VQ35HR and the VQ37VHR engines. DLC stands for diamond like coating, which is an amorphous layer of carbon crystals with hard smooth properties much like diamond. Most of valve train friction is created by the interface between the cam follower and the cam lobe. DLC is very slippery stuff and Nissan uses it to reduce valvetrain friction to improve fuel economy, reduce emission and increase power.

Nissan, in their search for improving oils frictional properties, figured out a way to substitute ultra hard nano particles for the normal chemical friction modifiers adding some interesting molecular twists. Again due to the convoluted nature of Nissan’s white papers and patents, its hard to guess exactly what the nano particles are but they are definitely an ultra hard industrial abrasive or bearing type ceramic and probably at least in part, nano particles of industrial diamond

Nissans super oil is around 0.5% nano particles by weight. The particles are probably around 10 nanometers in diameter, really very small! A certain percentage of the nano particles have to be carbon based, preferably single crystal synthetic diamond. The carbon content helps make the nano particles attracted to the low hydrogen DLC coating. Instead of making a slippery metallic film on bare metal parts like traditional friction modifiers, the nano particles act like atomic level miniature ball bearings, preventing metal to metal contact and reducing friction to previously unheard of levels. These nano particles are ashless if they find there way into the engine, making the oil low deposit forming for lower emissions. The Nissan super oil does most of its friction reduction in the valvetrain but it still helps in other parts of the engine, particularly in areas where metal to metal

370z

I have seen good work done by any Amsoil products (including the XL line with the QR and VQ engines). That said, I don't see how anything from Motul, Redline, Royal Purple, or Mobil won't do the job.

Are you planning on extending your OCI? If not, any full or semi-synth (and tbh even dino) changed according to your owner's manual will work fine.

Are you looking for other benefits that synthetics may have?

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
Thanks, interesting stuff. But, oil that contains industrial diamonds sounds a bit wild to me (even 0.5%) ?

Not much is known about this new ester oil development. I know many have been trying to figure it out. The source above is the most detailed explanation of it to date.

Awesome car.

I was talking to a friend who has one last night.

The only thing other than oil I can recommend, is to have the two rear spark plugs check for oil contamination before the warrantee runs out.

The valve cover seals fail back there, and they dont sell them separately. I think it was a $900 job by the time the dust settled and its common..... otherwise wicked car.

I would check the owners manual for oil change intervals under warantee, and use a good quality synthetic.

I'd probably be using M1 at 5000 miles, maybe 7500 if he commutes on the highway. Plenty of other oils Redline, AmsOil that would work as well or better, but with limited availability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back