Suggestions for '08 CBR1000RR

Status
Not open for further replies.
There isn't much, at least from my searches, on a good synthetic oil for an '08 Honda CBR1000RR or similiar application. Right now I'm running Dino Honda GN4 to break in the engine etc. I'll probably continue this for several thousand miles (I only have 150 mi so far) until some good break in has been accomplished.

After the break in, I'd like to switch over to synthetic but I am still on the fence about motorcycle oil versus a good non energy conserving car oil etc etc. Can anyone help narrow the field a bit?

Last edited:
If it is any consollation, I have a brand new 08' Suzuki B-King (Gen 2 Hayabusa engine) I used Rotella T 15w40 on my first oil change. I have 4 gallons of Delvac 15w40 and a gallon of Shell Rotella synthetic 5w40. So I will be using these oils for a while. Any of the ones I listed prove to be much more robust than Honda GN4 at more 1/4 the price.

I would use a HDEO synthetic before I would use a car synthetic. Just my 2 cents.

I'm pretty sure HDEO's have some sort of additive that helps them deal with running in gears. As most semi trucks have several gear driven accessories that are running inside either the front or rear cover. (the cam, water pump, and air compressor) at least are usually gear driven.

Must have something to do with why A LOT of guys run HDEO's in bike engines. A friend of mine has a CBR600 that was a track only bike and he put a little over 9000 HARD miles on it. He recently upgraded and traded off that one. But it still ran great. If I had to guess it spent over 75% of its time turning over 10,000 rpm.

Originally Posted By: miker1
Take a look at this http://www.amsoil.com/products/streetbikes/WhitePaper.aspx

Here is a well written paper about oils and motorcycle oils.
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html

There is also decent information on break-in there which I followed with great results. I changed out the initial factory fill at 700 miles and my 4-cylinder 1200cc does not use any oil or require topping off after 3000 miles or more driven each season.

There is also a First Edition of AMSOIL's Motorcycle Oil Analysis that is worth downloading but I was unable to find a link to it. You may come across it while researching the internet.

To make a long story short, stick with a JASO MA oil. However the Heavy Duty Engine Oils (HDEO's) for diesel trucks are very popular for motorcycles.

Substituting anything else has to be done on the basis of solid knowledge. Be aware that your motorcycle will shear all but the most expensive oils rather quickly and change out will usually be needed within 2000-2500 miles. More money will buy a longer lasting lubricant.

Valvoline "Dino" oil for motorcycles in 10W-40 regularly retails at $3.99 per qt. but I've seen it on sale for $1-2 less.

I paid $7.50 a quart for Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 on a walk-in Manager's Special. It normally goes for $9.50 to $9.99.

AMSOIL has a "preferred customer" offering that will entitle you to a competitive price about -20% lower than retail.

Walmart is a good source of several motorcycle oils and several other oils decently priced.

Autozone and Advance Auto Parts are places to buy when oil is on sale.

I suggest you read up to determine what you want and then look around to pick up an oil when its on sale. Most motorcyclists keep a "stash" that is one or two oil and filter changes ahead.

Initially you may want to stay with a petroleum base oil so that break-in will not take several years longer.

Nice bike, BTW.
55.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: soldierman
I'm pretty sure HDEO's have some sort of additive that helps them deal with running in gears. As most semi trucks have several gear driven accessories that are running inside either the front or rear cover. (the cam, water pump, and air compressor) at least are usually gear driven.

Must have something to do with why A LOT of guys run HDEO's in bike engines. A friend of mine has a CBR600 that was a track only bike and he put a little over 9000 HARD miles on it. He recently upgraded and traded off that one. But it still ran great. If I had to guess it spent over 75% of its time turning over 10,000 rpm.

Good Post!
thumbsup2.gif

Honda Germany had a TSB back in 2000 about the dangers of running 5w-xx oils in the CBR 900RR and CBR 1100xx.It seems some engines would grenade themselves at high RPM using the thin oil,i know it was 10 yrs ago and oil has changed but i wont chance it.
I ran Castrol RS 10w-60 for almost 10yrs and 160K in the CBR1100XX,internally it looked and ran like new,compression was 180 lb exact on all 4,new spec was 181 lb.
Now running Golden Spectro 10W-50 synthetic in a K1300S.

Originally Posted By: Yagenta13
There isn't much, at least from my searches, on a good synthetic oil for an '08 Honda CBR1000RR or similiar application. Right now I'm running Dino Honda GN4 to break in the engine etc. I'll probably continue this for several thousand miles (I only have 150 mi so far) until some good break in has been accomplished.

After the break in, I'd like to switch over to synthetic but I am still on the fence about motorcycle oil versus a good non energy conserving car oil etc etc. Can anyone help narrow the field a bit?

This link will help cut through all the noise. You can see that several heavy-duty diesel oils are recommended and the reasoning is explained in the oil article.

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Consumables.html

Originally Posted By: boraticus

Makes one wonder how the boutique oil companies manage to stay in business?

One word:

M A R K E T I N G

Last edited:
Amsoil AMO 10W-40, AMR 20W-50 or AME 15W-40 would all work just magnificently in this application. The more expensive choices may be better for extended intervals, but... Why bother?

You are going to want to get down and dirty and look at the drained oil, cut the filter up, etc.

Cheers!

Thanks for all the replies! I have some homework to do. The choices for motorcycles are seemingly so much more complex than for cars (I think my all time favorite is still the old GREEN Castrol GC for my car- I miss it).

I'll update and post whatever I choose and the results if I do a UOA. I already did my first oil change at 80 miles because of the break in and the fact that I didn't know how long the bike had been sitting with oil in it.

I have run Gtx 10W40, Brad Penn 20W50, older M1 mx4t 10W40, Exxon Superflo 20W50 (really like that for a cheap dino 20W50) Rotella 15W40 & 5W40 in my zx9r

I currently have Val synpower 20W50 in it (got a case bogo) but ultimately if I had to choose one oil to stick with, it would be one of the hdeo 15w40's and would not worry about it ever again.

Great replies...I'm through the "official" break-in mileage on the bike. I've changed the oil with Honda HP4 Dino at 80 miles, 160 miles, and now at 320 miles. The last interval was after a longer "break-in" ride where I took it out to some isolated roads to more methodically vary the gears and rpm's etc.

I'm going to stick with dino till about the 2000 mile mark, but then I'm still on the fence about synthetic versus dino etc. My main point of confusion is whether or not going with a very high quality synthetic, like Motul 300V or Redline, for a longer interval is better, in terms of wear and engine life, versus VERY frequent oil changes with a quality, but much cheaper, dino oil, like HP4 or Rotella 15W-40 etc.

So without price being a factor, which would be better for the engine- constantly fresh and clean dino or longer runs with better "engineered" synthetic oil? (keep in mind that oil changes on this bike are EASY so frequent changes are actually kind of fun).

General opinions are great but if you want to know specifics about MY use of the bike, it's mainly around town, commuting, errands etc. No racing, stunting, or super high performance driving.

riding around town may not get the oil temp up high enough for long enough period of time to burn of anything that it could on a long trip.

i dont see how new, clean oil can be a bad thing.

Sunrah based on your testing results and our conversation a while back is the reason I run the maxima product.

Lot's of [censored] advertising and people talking nonsense but you are the real deal and if you are impressed by the product it must be [censored] good.

I have 0 complaints with the product and my 08 GSX-R750 has never shifted so nice and the engine noise been so quit even after miles on the street and a long weekend at the track.

Thanks again for helping us less oil educated folks out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back