Anyone using Purolator on Subaru?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey folks,

In light of a lot of good flow-rate data posted from other users regarding Purolator I'm considering switching from the Subaru OEM Honeywell oil filter to Purolator PureOne PL14612. I'm just curious if anyone else with a Subaru uses PureOnes and if you have had any problems?

I've heard there may be an issue with oil leaks around the gaskets, but I'm not sure if this is in reference to the old white Subaru OEM/Purolator filter or aftermarket PureOne. The gaskets on Honeywells are a nice rounded rubber; whereas, PL14612 has a flat-cut gasket.

Anywho - would be nice to hear from folks with experience with this setup. Thanks~

I've started using pure one's on my '04 Legacy, no problems, no leaks. I think its the best filter out there, for the money.

I was using the Pure One filter on my '02 WRX for a few OCIs before I traded it. I didn't see any issues with leaks at all. Though to be honest I'm not sure if my '02 2.0L turbo would use the same filter as the 2.5L in the Legacy.

Ed B.

The leaking problem you refer to is indeed from the OEM filter from a few years back. Retail Purolators don't have this problem, and it was for the older large-style (L14460-sized) filter anyway.

I've used Purolators on my cars for years (up to and including my Subaru) and I like them a lot. They seem to be one of the few (if only) manufacturers who make a Subaru-specific filter with a high bypass valve pressure rating.

I've only been using something else (Champs) recently just out of the desire to try something else.

I use a PureOne on my 2009 Forester with no problems. The Subaru dealership was quite a distance from me so I did not have much choice. You will find in this forum and in Subaru forums lots of debate about using aftermarket verses OEM filters. It has to do with the filter bypass valve pressure setting. I read the postings in the forums and made my choice. I am sure the OEM filter, built by FRAM, works fine despite peoples quality concerns with FRAM. I am also feel comfortable with using the PureOne.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

I've only been using something else (Champs) recently just out of the desire to try something else.

I've got an STP Oil Filter S2869 that came free at a Autozone oil deal for my old '95 2.2L Legacy that I'm planning on using when it's time for another oil change. Just out of curiousity do you know how high the bypass relief valve is set on these? There is no anti-drainback valve, but it seems like nobody uses ADBV for the older 2.2 and 2.0 Subaru engines. This car has over 413,000 miles on it and it's seen a mix of aftermarket and oil-change shop filters it's entire life and nothing but good ole fashion dino oils. I used a "FRAM High Mileage" oil filter on it once and it ran like garbage. I don't think FRAM is even making this filter anymore as it was just a gimmick and was a very poor design. Since that experience I decided to do that last few oil changes with OEM oil filters.

My other car is a 2008 Forester 2.5 normally aspirated with about 46,000 miles now. I bought it used with 15,000 miles on it. It was previously owned by a rental car company. I don't know what filters they were using because I let a Subaru dealership do the first oil-change and inspection; however, since then it's seen nothing but OEM filters (including air). I was thinking of switching to Purolater PureOne on this vehicle.

On one hand Subaru states that their OEM Honeywell oil filter is specific to Subaru and not a "one size fits all" application like aftermarket filters. On the other hand, their OEM filter is a "one size fits all" filter for just about every 4-cylinder engine they've ever produced. I find it hard to believe it's built to spec for all of them. I think what is more likely is they are built to meet or exceed the engine's requirements. That's the same claim from aftermarket oil filter manufacturers. And regarding the high relief valve, there's a lot of data and theory folks have thrown around here, but nobody has presented any factual findings that a Purolater/Wix/Champ/etc would or would not be be in bypass most of the time on a Subaru.

Also, I know I've seen it stated several times that Subaru calls for a 23 PSI oil filter bypass relief valve in the oil filter; however, I've never seen the real source of this information nor has anyone stated for which Subaru engines this applies. If anyone can reference this info, please post it for us.

I use them all the time on my 97' and no issues. I will add that I also use the ST filters too and they have been perfect as well...

Originally Posted By: Soobs

And regarding the high relief valve, there's a lot of data and theory folks have thrown around here, but nobody has presented any factual findings that a Purolater/Wix/Champ/etc would or would not be be in bypass most of the time on a Subaru.

Also, I know I've seen it stated several times that Subaru calls for a 23 PSI oil filter bypass relief valve in the oil filter; however, I've never seen the real source of this information nor has anyone stated for which Subaru engines this applies. If anyone can reference this info, please post it for us.

I would want the bypass to be what the oem calls for too, but I think this 23psi bypass is unecessary and maybe not even a good thing. Most likely your standard 7-10 psi bypass isn't going unless the filter is really clogged. Unless someone knows better I don't see how a Subaru engine is going to have more oil volume through the filter than big V8s which use similar size filters.

Last edited:

I've got an STP Oil Filter S2869 that came free at a Autozone oil deal for my old '95 2.2L Legacy that I'm planning on using when it's time for another oil change. Just out of curiousity do you know how high the bypass relief valve is set on these? There is no anti-drainback valve, but it seems like nobody uses ADBV for the older 2.2 and 2.0 Subaru engines. This car has over 413,000 miles on it and it's seen a mix of aftermarket and oil-change shop filters it's entire life and nothing but good ole fashion dino oils. I used a "FRAM High Mileage" oil filter on it once and it ran like garbage. I don't think FRAM is even making this filter anymore as it was just a gimmick and was a very poor design. Since that experience I decided to do that last few oil changes with OEM oil filters.

My other car is a 2008 Forester 2.5 normally aspirated with about 46,000 miles now. I bought it used with 15,000 miles on it. It was previously owned by a rental car company. I don't know what filters they were using because I let a Subaru dealership do the first oil-change and inspection; however, since then it's seen nothing but OEM filters (including air). I was thinking of switching to Purolater PureOne on this vehicle.

On one hand Subaru states that their OEM Honeywell oil filter is specific to Subaru and not a "one size fits all" application like aftermarket filters. On the other hand, their OEM filter is a "one size fits all" filter for just about every 4-cylinder engine they've ever produced. I find it hard to believe it's built to spec for all of them. I think what is more likely is they are built to meet or exceed the engine's requirements. That's the same claim from aftermarket oil filter manufacturers. And regarding the high relief valve, there's a lot of data and theory folks have thrown around here, but nobody has presented any factual findings that a Purolater/Wix/Champ/etc would or would not be be in bypass most of the time on a Subaru.

The bypass valve setting has been a hot topic in the Subaru community. I have seen some forum posters post copies of a Subaru tech manual that stated the 23 psid bypass valve setting. But a several year old tech manual is not a source document for filter specifications. Whoever wrote that tech manual got that number from some other Subaru engineering document that is the master source. Other forums posters have written Subaru about the oil filter bypass and if the Fram/Honeywell filters have the 23 psid bypass. Subaru stated the filters built by Honeywell are built to Subaru specs. That does not answer the question however, Subaru did not say the filter bypass from Fram is 23 psid, they just said the filter is built to their specs. What are the specs that was given to Fram? A several year old tech manual is not a contractual specification document. The FRAM OEM filter may very well have a 23 psid bypass valve, but I would not be surprised if it did not. I would be very interested in seeing this filter tested in a lab to see what the bypass valve setting really is.

Last edited:

Nope, I do not, but the STP is a Subaru-specific filter made by Champion Labs so I am giving them the benefit of the doubt that the pressure relief rating is correct.

Purolator specifically states the correct bypass valve specs, has the correct mounting thread depth, and does not use an anti-drainback valve, so I have no issue using a Purolator or Purolator-made filter (ProLine, Group7, Motorcraft, newer Bosch, newer MANN, etc.) that has the right application number.

Fram does not make a Subaru-specific filter (for my application at least- it's a Honda-style filter) and neither does Wix (same problem) so I don't and won't use either, but Champ does. Honda-style filters have a lower bypass spec, deeper mounting threads, and an anti-drainback valve. They are not made for Subarus, they only just happen to fit on them. Champ filters have the right thread depth and lack the unnecessary anti-drainback valve, so I'm only assuming that the bypass valve is also correct. I should probably try to email someone there and ask just to be sure, but I'm not really that worried about it.

I'm using that exact STP filter on my car now and have another one in a box, along with two Champ-branded filters and an ACDelco that are all basically the same filter. Use it and don't worry about it. It's a fine filter.

Just keep in mind that my car uses the older, larger filters that Subaru does not seem to use anymore. They went smaller for clearance reasons and some companies spec this new smaller filter even for older applications. I have no idea what the bypass valve specs are supposed to be but I assume it's as high as the older, larger ones. I'm still not going to use a smaller filter when the larger 'correct' ones are readily available.

Originally Posted By: hofcat
I use a PureOne on my 2009 Forester with no problems. The Subaru dealership was quite a distance from me so I did not have much choice. You will find in this forum and in Subaru forums lots of debate about using aftermarket verses OEM filters. It has to do with the filter bypass valve pressure setting. I read the postings in the forums and made my choice. I am sure the OEM filter, built by FRAM, works fine despite peoples quality concerns with FRAM. I am also feel comfortable with using the PureOne.

After seeing the flow vs. PSID data from Purolator up to 18 GPM flow volume [see link below], and the fact that the bypass valve on the PureONE is typically set to 14~16 psi, I would say using the Purolator on the high oil flow Subarus would be fine. The flow test data in the link belwo was for a PL14006 for a V8 Vette LS6 engine, so the specific filter for the Subaru might be a bit different. Why doesn't someone with a high volume oil pumped Subaru email Purolator and ask them to do the same flow vs PSID test I asked them to do. It would be the best verification to this issue.

I'm now wondering if the 23 psi bypass setting spec on the Subarus is more related to the OEM filter design ... could be that the OEM filter is much more restrictive than the PureONE, and therefore has the higher bypass setting spec to ensure less bypass events.

Here's another good PureONE thread ... shows that they flow very well. The old rumor that they are "restrictive" isn't true ... at least not today.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1630494&page=1

Originally Posted By: mechanicx

I would want the bypass to be what the oem calls for too, but I think this 23psi bypass is unecessary and maybe not even a good thing. Most likely your standard 7-10 psi bypass isn't going unless the filter is really clogged.

It all depends on the filter's design. If a filter is somewhat restrictive and has quite a bit PSID with flow volume, then it's entirely possible to get into bypass territory. I'm thinking the 23 psi bypass setting spec from Subaru is tied to the design of their filter, more than anything. As the thread link I showed above shows, the PureONE for my Vette will flow up to 18 GPM of hot oil and only produce 5 PSID. That is not even close to being restrictive. If a filter was real restrictive, it could have 8~10 PSID, and if the bypass was say set to 8 PSI then there would be an issue, even with hot oil.

Unless someone knows better I don't see how a Subaru engine is going to have more oil volume through the filter than big V8s which use similar size filters.

Where you been ... many threads showing the oil volume output on some of the Subi engines is 12 GPM.

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
[I'm now wondering if the 23 psi bypass setting spec on the Subarus is more related to the OEM filter design ... could be that the OEM filter is much more restrictive than the PureONE, and therefore has the higher bypass setting spec to ensure less bypass events.

Good point. I don't know this to be true but maybe it's also because Subarus take a long time to warm the oil up? Just seems to me that a high flowing filter wouldn't need such a high bypass setting. I think the setting is not worth worrying about.

I'm now wondering if the 23 psi bypass setting spec on the Subarus is more related to the OEM filter design ... could be that the OEM filter is much more restrictive than the PureONE, and therefore has the higher bypass setting spec to ensure less bypass events.

Good point. I don't know this to be true but maybe it's also because Subarus take a long time to warm the oil up? Just seems to me that a high flowing filter wouldn't need such a high bypass setting. I think the setting is not worth worrying about.

Remember that when the oil is cold, the flow volume going through the filter/engine will be less at the same engine oil pressure. When the oil is hot, the engine may flow 12 GPM at max pump pressure (ie, when oil pump is in "pressure relief" mode) ... but when the oil is cold it may only flow 2 or 3 GPM at max pump pressure.

My theory (that hasn't been proven, but based on fluid dynamics laws) is that if there is 5 PSID across the filter with hot oil at 12 GPM and 80 PSI engine pressure, then there will also be 5 PSID across the filter with cold oil at 2 GPM and 80 PSI engine pressure. Note, these numbers are relative and for example only.

In other words, if the filter doesn't go in to bypass mode with hot oil at max flow/max engine oil pressure, then it will not go into bypass mode with cold oil at max flow/max engine oil pressure.

Ideally, a filter should only go into bypass mode when it's too dirty to flow well (with hot or cold oil, or anywhere in between) and the pressure drop becomes very excessive from contamination/loading.

My son has used the 14612 in about 4 oil changes on his '07 Impreza and all is well. No difference in any cold start up, max rpm, hot weather, under load or any other circumstance. Also no leaks.

He has used the older black filter from Japan, the new blue filter, Union Sangyo and Nippon branded filters... All have the rounded gasket. He has also used Purolator, Fram and Wix, Bosch, K&N and M1 all with flat gaskets. Again...no leaks...no problems

Remember that when the oil is cold, the flow volume going through the filter/engine will be less at the same engine oil pressure. When the oil is hot, the engine may flow 12 GPM at max pump pressure (ie, when oil pump is in "pressure relief" mode) ... but when the oil is cold it may only flow 2 or 3 GPM at max pump pressure.

My theory (that hasn't been proven, but based on fluid dynamics laws) is that if there is 5 PSID across the filter with hot oil at 12 GPM and 80 PSI engine pressure, then there will also be 5 PSID across the filter with cold oil at 2 GPM and 80 PSI engine pressure. Note, these numbers are relative and for example only.

In other words, if the filter doesn't go in to bypass mode with hot oil at max flow/max engine oil pressure, then it will not go into bypass mode with cold oil at max flow/max engine oil pressure.

Ideally, a filter should only go into bypass mode when it's too dirty to flow well (with hot or cold oil, or anywhere in between) and the pressure drop becomes very excessive from contamination/loading.

You could be right that the cold oil flow is reduced enough that pressure drop is the same as hot oil. But my understanding was that a filter is very much more restrictive to cold oil flow, so filters do bypass at cold start and cold oil. I just seems to me that while the flow volume to the filter dropping like you said matters, the pressure is higher outside the filter during cold oil running and the oil pump can pump cold oil fairly well to the filter. So end result is the pressure difference across the filter would still be higher across the filter when the oil is cold. It's the pressure difference that matters regardless of flow.

The proof of this is if you block the bypass, the filter can leak and even blow open on a cold start. I've been meaning to ask if anyone has ever tried putting a non-bypass GM filter on a by-pass filter application.

You could be right that the cold oil flow is reduced enough that pressure drop is the same as hot oil. But my understanding was that a filter is very much more restrictive to cold oil flow, so filters do bypass at cold start and cold oil.

Yes, there is no doubt that the filter is more restrictive to cold oil, BUT there is also much LESS oil flow. PSID is a function of both viscosity and flow volume. If the cold oil flow volume is much less (say 2 GPM cold vs. 12 GPM hot at max pump pressure), then the PSID might be basically the same in both cases. If the max engine oil pressure is say 80 PSI in both cases, then this makes complete sense as the engine oil pressure is an indication of the oil's viscosity/flow volume combo.

I just seems to me that while the flow volume to the filter dropping like you said matters, the pressure is higher outside the filter during cold oil running and the oil pump can pump cold oil fairly well to the filter. So end result is the pressure difference across the filter would still be higher across the filter when the oil is cold. It's the pressure difference that matters regardless of flow.

Keep in mind that if the oil pump's pressure relief valve works correctly, the supply pressure to the filter/engine can only be say 80 PSI max in this example. You have to realize that if you supply 80 PSI max of hot oil there will be much more flow through the filter/engine than if you supply 80 PSI max of cold oil. The same flow that goes through the engine also must go through the filter since it's a "full flow" filter.

The proof of this is if you block the bypass, the filter can leak and even blow open on a cold start. I've been meaning to ask if anyone has ever tried putting a non-bypass GM filter on a by-pass filter application.

If any oil had drained back out of the filter/engine while sitting, and then the engine is started, there certainly will be a huge "in-rush" of cold oil volume because there is no back pressure from the system. In that short duration, it's possible to produce a big pressure spike in the filter due to the in-rush, thereby causing filter damage because the bypass vavle might not even be able to compensate for such and in-rush. Once the entire circuit (filter & engine) has been filled with oil, then the oil pump will quickly build pressure due to the system's flow resistance (ie, backpressure) and the pump will pressure limit. Once in this mode, the volume will decreased significantly through the system until the oil starts warming up and becoming thinner.

You could be right that the cold oil flow is reduced enough that pressure drop is the same as hot oil. But my understanding was that a filter is very much more restrictive to cold oil flow, so filters do bypass at cold start and cold oil.

Yes, there is no doubt that the filter is more restrictive to cold oil, BUT there is also much LESS oil flow. PSID is a function of both viscosity and flow volume. If the cold oil flow volume is much less (say 2 GPM cold vs. 12 GPM hot at max pump pressure), then the PSID might be basically the same in both cases. If the max engine oil pressure is say 80 PSI in both cases, then this makes complete sense as the engine oil pressure is an indication of the oil's viscosity/flow volume combo.

I just seems to me that while the flow volume to the filter dropping like you said matters, the pressure is higher outside the filter during cold oil running and the oil pump can pump cold oil fairly well to the filter. So end result is the pressure difference across the filter would still be higher across the filter when the oil is cold. It's the pressure difference that matters regardless of flow.

Keep in mind that if the oil pump's pressure relief valve works correctly, the supply pressure to the filter/engine can only be say 80 PSI max in this example. You have to realize that if you supply 80 PSI max of hot oil there will be much more flow through the filter/engine than if you supply 80 PSI max of cold oil. The same flow that goes through the engine also must go through the filter since it's a "full flow" filter.

I see what you are saying but I'm of the belief that the oil filter is much more restrictive to cold oil than other engine parts/areas are. I always think the oil pump delivers, although maybe a reduced flow of oil to the filter, a fairly good volume of cold oil flow.

Quote:
If any oil had drained back out of the filter/engine while sitting, and then the engine is started, there certainly will be a huge "in-rush" of cold oil volume because there is no back pressure from the system. In that short duration, it's possible to produce a big pressure spike in the filter due to the in-rush, thereby causing filter damage because the bypass vavle might not even be able to compensate for such and in-rush. Once the entire circuit (filter & engine) has been filled with oil, then the oil pump will quickly build pressure due to the system's flow resistance (ie, backpressure) and the pump will pressure limit. Once in this mode, the volume will decreased significantly through the system until the oil starts warming up and becoming thinner.

Well this oil filter leaking and possible blowing filters effect happens well after the initial start and after the oil filter can refill like when you rev the eng up. It also happens on engines that have a vertically mounted filter that doesn't drainback like the sm. block chevy. Overall I totally believe oil filters are more restrictive to cold oil flow than the rest of the oiling system and that oil pumps can pump a decent volume of cold oil especialy at higher RPM. I think there is higher pressure diferential at the filter depending on oil temperature/viscosity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back