What grease for this ATV's rear end?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a 2006 Polaris Trail Blazer 250 2-stroke chain driven quad.

What kind of grease should I be putting here? I've already got a gun filled with Ford/Lincoln/Mercury multi-purpose grease fortified with moly (chassis/uv joint/etc.)

I dunno how much strain it really goes through. It's got a 2-stroke, so not much down low torque, but when the revs can get up, it's hard to stop. Rated 22 horsepower, nothing major. Has very aggressive tires, so it's always gripping.

Anyways, looking for some recommendations. Thanks.

1020091729.jpg

1020091729a.jpg

1020091730.jpg

Pick yourself up some marine grease. Normal wheel bearing grease will work to but it looks like you enjoy the water with your quad

FYI the Mystik JT-6 Hi-temp red grease would be a nice choice...it has better specs than almost any grease out there and more water resistance than MOST marine greases if looking at the numbers.

ORRRRR how cold does it get in TN or do you ride in freezing temps??? If not then the Mystik low-temp grease good to 250* still) might be a bettwer choice because it has better water washout than any grease I have ever seen (going by specs)...Moly is better for sliding surfaces but not always needed in wheel bearings.

I don't know what Polaris recommends. I don't have the book for it, bought it used.

I mainly want something that I can just go buy off the shelf at Wallyworld/Autozone/Advance Auto or something. If there is something online that is that much better, I can get it ordered online.

Would the grease I mentioned I already have not be suitable for it? It won't be ridden too much in the cold. But, it will be rode, but we'll see if it even gets below the teens this year here in TN.

It's mainly driven WOT at top speed. It's driven hard.

Jaymus, to tell you the truth, I really don't know. Something tells me not to use a moly grease for this application, but I might be wrong. To me a good wheel bearing grease without moly would be a better product to use. Something easy to find off the shelf might be something like Mobil 1 synthetic grease (red). Or if you looking conventional something like Pennzoil, Valvoline, or Castrol wheel bearing grease.

don't use a calcium marine grease unless you know for sure the grease already in it is calcium...otherwise use the Mystik or Valvoline red non-moly grease to be safe for comapatablity.

Maybe you can get in the ATV forums and fins out for sure what to use.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
The Polaris grease is Lithium 12 hydroxystearate/sebacate
complex.
http://msds.polarisindustries.com/Polaris Premium All Season Grease _0138_.pdf
Also:
Quote:
GREASE POINTS
Use grease conforming to NLGI No 2.

Such as:
Polaris Premium All Season Grease
Conoco Superlube M
Mobilegrease Special

http://utilityoffroad.com/tech/ranger/maintenance/index.html
Calcium Sulfonate is compatible with Lithium Complex. Just lube a little more often in the beginning to make sure.

So then the Walmart Mystik JT-6 Hi-Temp should due nicely

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back