Anybody have an oil change pit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm moving into a new shop, and as much as I'd love one, [censored] will probably freeze over before I ever get a lift. I do however have a carport with a gravel floor and a neighbor with a big backhoe...

Anybody ever build your own oil change pit before? What sort of dimensions should it be? I would probably have a big hole dug and then line it with cinder blocks.

One on my main reasons for this is that my health is not very good, and I have arthritis in both knees, laying on the ground under cars just isn't fun for me.
56.gif

I don't have one but used one. It was cinder block construction IIRC. Was probably 3.5 feet wide, 7 feet long at the bottom then some stairs up to floor level made it 10 or 11 feet up top.

It was dank and dark. Consider plans for drainage or spill control, ventilation, and power.

I used one, a buddy had it in the yard. His father owned a carting business and fabricated a small dumpster so a car could easily drive over it. He sunk it in the ground put a ladder from a built in pool to get into it, and then closed the lid on it when he was done with it. I did a few oil changes in it and a clutch job, it worked well. He had a big house and yard and his buddy did construction foundation work so digging the hole was a snap.

There are some safety problems:

1) There is a falling hazard if it doesn't have a removable "fence/chain" and it is ALWAYS replaced. A strong metal cover would be an option, but would be hard to lift/move.

2) There is a minor breathing hazard, carbon monoxide could buid up and cause a problem. Someone mentioned a ventilation system.

3) You need to be careful when driving over it (side rails would be good). There is a you-tube video of someone pulling a car into a Jiffy Lube and crashing it into the pit!

4) In some areas, ground water may be a problem. A french drain and sump pump may be necessary.

5) Lighting is needed, as it would be dark in there (as someone already mentioned).

Looking at all these things, a lift may be cheaper and SAFER !

Last edited:
Oh, the lighting, ventilation, and sump pump wiring (if needed) should really be explosion proof, due to the fact that gasoline COULD leak into the pit. Explosion proof electrical work is VERY expensive. But, what is your life worth to you?

Last edited:
A guy had a farm next to my neighborhood. He had a pit with a canopy. It was of brick construction.

Someone on this board mentioned they used to change their oil in a dry storm-drain.

In some places they are illegal and you insurance company probably won't like the idea either. There can be problems with explosive fumes building up and contaminating ground or water. I have a friend that has one and it is handy for some things, but it is also a hazard that if you need to get in or out of the car that you don't fall into the pit.

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
1) There is a falling hazard if it doesn't have a removable "fence/chain" and it is ALWAYS replaced. A strong metal cover would be an option, but would be hard to lift/move.

Yeah, I was thinking a plywood/2x6 lid, with removeable poles in each corner of the cinder blocks for chains.

2) There is a minor breathing hazard, carbon monoxide could buid up and cause a problem. Someone mentioned a ventilation system.

I have a couple 20" industrial fans that I could probably point down the hole to keep it ventilated quite well, without actually having to run any wiring INTO the hole.

3) You need to be careful when driving over it (side rails would be good).

Yeah, I was thinking about building some metal rails that could be moved apart for different wheel widths.

5) Lighting is needed, as it would be dark in there (as someone already mentioned).

Probably would just use a normal portable work light. I think you can get explosion proof models pretty cheap. Or maybe just a good rechargeable LED light?

Originally Posted By: bustednutz
Nothing like being trapped in a pit with a burning car above it.
Not a wise idea.

Don't mean to be rude, but I wouldn't be stupid enough to trap myself in there in the first place. The pit would be longer than the vehicle, probably with a ladder at one or both ends. And a fire extinguisher. I figure if Jiffy Lube employees can be trusted to run an oil pit, I should be able to do it safely. Unhooking the vehicle battery first would be a must.

As for cost I might be able to get the hole dug for free, and I'd do the brick work, so it wouldn't cost much more than the cinder blocks. Though, I haven't calculated how many I might need yet...cast concrete might be cheaper.

Additionally, it might make a handy-dandy storage area when I'm not changing oil.
56.gif

Last edited:
Pits are nice - fast.
But building your own can get problematical.
Doing it right involves a concrete floor, and you may have drainage problems. The walls have to be strong.
An exit should allow plenty of room for not only yourself, but large tools and parts.

What about building an above ground pit? Maybe two feet high, you drive up the ramp onto and then scoot under your vehicle to do the work. You have me thinking about where to put it now. It will have to wide enough to accommodate my pickup, Jetta and tractors. Little lips on each side of the drive area to reduce Jiffy Lube accidents. Probably just a grass surface for the work area. No carbon monoxide problem, no standing water problem, and shouldn't be any insurance problem.

You got me thinking. Thanks.

yes i'd rather build up than dig down. some good masonry work (bricks and mortar) could be good, just be sure to have it checked by an engineer for safety.

Hmm, maybe I could do half under ground and half above. I kind of like the hole idea better though because it doesn't take up any space when I'm not using it.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back