Brake pads from Napa or Autozone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need front brake pads for my corolla and know napa's store brand pads are good. I have a coupon for autozone though. Anyone have experience with autozone brakes?

I have the Duralast brake pads on my Saturn. They do produce pretty much dust. For my needs they have stopped well. I went with them since some people have problems with warping the rotor's on their S-Series car. So far, no rotor problems which was a concern. I also have the Duralast rotors. I had a coupon which also influenced using AutoZone. I am on my second set. It was no hassle getting them swapped out for new ones when they wore down to the wear indicator.

I just compared Ceramic Ultra Quiet from Autozone $51.99 and Bendix CT from RockAuto $41.89,front pads.Rear are AZ $34.99 RA 37.79.
I used a 2005 1.8 corolla generic vehicle.The Bendix CT are the CT+3 versions and have a DOT rating of GG vs FF for the AZ pads for the same car,i bought a set of CT+3 for a Solara last year and compared the to the AZ pads.

Some CT+3 pads are GG rated for the front and FF rated for the rear and vice versa,which seems to indicate Bendix is paying attention to the stopping characteristics of the particular vehicle instead of just a singe generic material formula.

The Bendix have a lifetime guarantee and can be registered online for free replacement at any Bendix retailer.
I have used these on a lot of cars,they are clean pads,very little dust,easy on the rotors and stop very well.
They are silent and well controlled,pedal feel is firm,similar to high end OEM euro brakes.

I changed brakes on the Solara that was equipped with Raybestos ceramic pads and the difference was significant,the CT+3 pads felt firmer and easier to modulate,dust was less also.

IMO for the with the price this close the CT+3 are the best option.
Don't forget the Rotors and proper pad break in for best results.

I put a set of Napa True Stop pads on my gf's Accord nearly a year ago, they have worked fine, no noise and the car stops very well. They have also put off very little to no dust at all. Great pads for $26.00.

I put a set of AZ semi-metallic pads on the front of my 94 Camry (with new rotors) and the stopping power/distance was super. They were like $15.99. You did not mention rotors? You are better off getting the cheapest pads and rotors from AZ than more expensive pads and not touching the rotors.

Yeah the front rotors really are fine though. I have to check the drums in the back but I have not pulled the cover off yet. Thanks for all the advice.

Autozone premium gold ceramics are pretty dust free.
FF rated [at least for my car], and this is pretty good grab power warm and hot.
I agree about getting cheap [plain vented] rotors new with them. Chinese make rotors for premium brands and cheap brands. Quality is not an absolute either way.

I got the ceramic pads that AutoZone carries for my Santa Fe when I did my brakes and I have 130K KM (80K miles) and they look in excellent condition. They are quiet and brake very well too.. Would definitely buy them again.

They came in a Brownish Gold & Black box. Can't remember the name.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I just compared Ceramic Ultra Quiet from Autozone $51.99 and Bendix CT from RockAuto $41.89,front pads.Rear are AZ $34.99 RA 37.79.
I used a 2005 1.8 corolla generic vehicle.The Bendix CT are the CT+3 versions and have a DOT rating of GG vs FF for the AZ pads for the same car,i bought a set of CT+3 for a Solara last year and compared the to the AZ pads.

Some CT+3 pads are GG rated for the front and FF rated for the rear and vice versa,which seems to indicate Bendix is paying attention to the stopping characteristics of the particular vehicle instead of just a singe generic material formula.

The Bendix have a lifetime guarantee and can be registered online for free replacement at any Bendix retailer.
I have used these on a lot of cars,they are clean pads,very little dust,easy on the rotors and stop very well.
They are silent and well controlled,pedal feel is firm,similar to high end OEM euro brakes.

I changed brakes on the Solara that was equipped with Raybestos ceramic pads and the difference was significant,the CT+3 pads felt firmer and easier to modulate,dust was less also.

IMO for the with the price this close the CT+3 are the best option.
Don't forget the Rotors and proper pad break in for best results.

I like this idea.

I went cheap, semi metallic autozone pads. Worst case scenario they suck so bad I go get them warranted and upgrade to the ceramic. Anyhow it's just a corolla and I actually like the stopping power of semi metallic pads and don't care about the dust.

Not all semi-metallic pads stop better than ceramics.

It is also important to not upset the brake bias, so putting a more aggressive pad in the front may not always be a good idea.

lipad - The worst case scenario is NOT just to replace the pads.
You can foul up the rotors pretty good, and in any event have to sand away the old imbedded pad coating for use with a new pad material.

Autozone semi metallics are pretty good. I would avoid anybody's lowest priced pad, though.

Well we will see how long they last and how long the rotors last. They have a lifetime warranty so if they do wear prematurely I will just upgrade to the ceramics. I went out and broke in the pads and got a good surface on the rotors. Now I just need to do the rear drums next weekend (I had some work to do on my truck that took precedent over the rears). I love how cheap the brakes parts are for this car. I'm used to having to order parts online for my discovery and pay out the behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back