98 Jeep 4.0 Rear Main Seal still leaks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same here on my 01. Super easy fix that appears to have a much more significant issue that it's not. Have'nt had a problems since I replaced the VC gasket. (years)

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Are you double-dog certain its not the valve cover gasket leaking and running down so it drips off the bellhousing? Pretty common occurrence and an easy fix.

That's what it was on my Cherokee - not a rear main seal. Check the valve cover gasket, particularly at the back of the engine :)

Get the FelPro seal like someone said. +1 on the worn rear main bearing, too.
Even a perfect seal won't seal a rear main bearing with too much wear.

When you replaced the seal the first time, did the leak stop for a while, then reappear? If so, it probably IS the rear main seal and not those other things suggested. These engines are known for rear main seal leaks.

How hard is it to pull the oil pan in that Jeep? I've changed main bearings with the engine in place many a time... but that requires that you can get the oil pan off.

Relatively easy. The most you have to do is lower the exhaust that may wrap round the front of the engine if the front axle driveshaft runs up the passenger side of the engine (TJ/XJ). It tends to be easier to remove than refit. There's a minor "did you get it?" factor to the angles you have to manipulate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back